Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: West End Water Situation

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: West End Water Situation

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    I know very little about the "procurement procedure" other than the PM declaring an "emergence situation that requires a prompt repose" regarding the road and wall collapse by Sunshine plaza. He said the repairs still have to go through the procurement procedure. I'm not sure if I will see those repairs in my life time (and I plan on living for another 25 years).

What about a "local state of emergency". Does Negril have any local government or Parish sympathy. Local SOE might get the word out internationally and that might prompt a response.
    The seawall will probably be done within our lifetime. My guess is they will start it just before next winter's busy season. Somehow that always seems to happen.

Our "local government" is Sav. Our mayor is the mayor of Sav. And the last thing you want is an SOE, it just slows everything down.

As AI tries to summarize Jamaica's unique procurement procedures, it says "These features contribute to a comprehensive and robust procurement system in Jamaica. They aim to ensure transparency, fairness, and efficiency in the procurement process."

Essentially it is a way that stops the "business as usual" in the past where family and friends "won" all the contracts. Now there are something like a dozen steps that have to satisfied before a contract is granted. It seems that whoever wrote the new procurement procedures left out anything having to do with emergencies. That is why we are suggesting that the JDF Engineers handle it, We would think there is an exception when the ones doing the work are in the military, We may be wrong but its worth a try!

If you want to get the word out internationally which is what we want to do, please read the other thread "We need your help" - it explains everything and even to contact anyone you know in the real media (not the social kind).
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

When I was saying an SOE might bring international attention, I wasn't referring to an SOE as we know them here in Jamaica where the police set up barricades and search peoples houses. What I was thinking was a "water crisis SOE".

Another noticeable tidbit. Sandals, Hedo, Couples Sweptaway, Azul, Beaches all have trucks delivering water 24-7. I have not passed Hedo once in the last 2 weeks when there wasn't a least 3 trucks parked out back delivering water. These resort owners are big big players. I don't know what a truck load of water is to be delivered but I thinking probably in the $10,000J per range, yet these resort owners are suspiciously quiet. Is it possibly NWC is paying not only for the water but for the delivery as well. If so why wouldn't they just use that money towards get the pipe laid at Roaring River?? And why wouldn't they pay for the delivery to the "little people".

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    When I was saying an SOE might bring international attention, I wasn't referring to an SOE as we know them here in Jamaica where the police set up barricades and search peoples houses. What I was thinking was a "water crisis SOE".

Another noticeable tidbit. Sandals, Hedo, Couples Sweptaway, Azul, Beaches all have trucks delivering water 24-7. I have not passed Hedo once in the last 2 weeks when there wasn't a least 3 trucks parked out back delivering water. These resort owners are big big players. I don't know what a truck load of water is to be delivered but I thinking probably in the $10,000J per range, yet these resort owners are suspiciously quiet. Is it possibly NWC is paying not only for the water but for the delivery as well. If so why wouldn't they just use that money towards get the pipe laid at Roaring River?? And why wouldn't they pay for the delivery to the "little people".
    There is no such animal as a "water crisis SOE". An SOE is an SOE. Completely useless for this cause.

This info, along with answers and discussions about all your other comments are consistently addressed in the WhatsApp group I added you in. If you want to know the answers as well as inside runnings as to why they are what they are, I can re-add you.

Let me know!

User Info Menu

Rob,
    Just a question here. In the old days it was still common to see locals carrying water from a source to their residence. Though not an ideal source I would assume those were mainly natural springs but has anyone explored the option of private citizens hiring contractors to drill wells for community use? I'm assuming there'd be too much red tape involved in getting it done or people would have done it already.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Every possible option has, is, been and being explored. When you don't have water, things get critical real fast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Every possible option has, is, been and being explored. When you don't have water, things get critical real fast.
    What has been the barrier to drilling wells then?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corey K View Post
    What has been the barrier to drilling wells then?
    People are collecting rainwater and those with natural springs use them also. But not for cooking. washing dishes, bathing or drinking purposes.

Forgetting about all the legality, permits and red tape involved in drilling new wells, let us look at the concept of a well source of water for the community vs. water delivery by truck.

First of all, with a well, you are replacing the gas power of a truck with the foot power of people. Whereas a truck can deliver hundreds of gallons of water to a residence, by foot you can carry two buckets of water.

Secondly, there is the issue of water quality. Well or spring water can look crystal clear yet contain microbes that can cause illnesses of all kinds. That is why the water from the pipe is treated by the NWC first. You are taking an unnecessary risk by using any source other than the NWC.

I used to take "showers" from a bucket that was from collected rain water back in the early 90's. I would set bottles with funnels out in the middle of the yard for driinking water. But this is 2024. There are water treatment plants and water pipes in place to get the safe, clean water to the people.

Negril raises 1/3 of the tourism dollars for Jamaica. We gave the government US$1.3 BILLION last year and we cannot get water in our pipes? We don't want to take a step back 30 years and use untreated water.

User Info Menu

Rob,

This may be helpful:

Water Resources Assessment of Jamaica circa 2001:

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/20.../ace-feb01.pdf

Both Hanover and Westmorland parishes have water aquafers in the limestone deposits.
    This study suggests hand pumps vs mechanical pumps.
    Mechanical pumps would drain the aquafer too quickly.

NOTE: The repeated statements of water quality through out the report.

All of us are praying for a quick solution to the water crisis in Negril.

VVHT

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    Rob,

This may be helpful:

Water Resources Assessment of Jamaica circa 2001:

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/20.../ace-feb01.pdf

Both Hanover and Westmorland parishes have water aquafers in the limestone deposits.
    This study suggests hand pumps vs mechanical pumps.
    Mechanical pumps would drain the aquafer too quickly.

NOTE: The repeated statements of water quality through out the report.

All of us are praying for a quick solution to the water crisis in Negril.

VVHT
    Thanks man! I found an almost identical study from San Diego U. from 2015... I have sent that to "the powers that be"

User Info Menu

Not very helpful but at least interesting. Since the 1920s, Curacao has been making its own water, all of its water, from seawater. Extremely energy intensive process but with their proximity to Venezuela, they've been able to tap into their oil supplies.