Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No longer our happy place.

User Info Menu

Re: No longer our happy place.

Thanks Lisa. I guess the question now is how tall are they building in Ochi? I assume the payoff for corporate developers requires taller buildings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ol'yardie View Post
    Is the rule in Negril still no building taller than the tallest palm tree?
    Royalton went up 4 stories high and now the new addition to Sandals is 4 stories. Seems to be the norm now.
    Last edited by brownsd54; Yesterday at 10:04 AM.

User Info Menu

mavmaiden,

It is sad to read your comments about Negril but not surprising. I have visited Jamaica over 30 times dating back to 1975 and at that time I thought Negril was the only place to visit. But in 1978 I ventured out and explored the island./ Back then there was public transportation, buses fondly called the "Big Bus" as they were very big and old buses that were insanely inexpensive. Nothing fancy it was the mode of transportation for the "Average Joe". I made my way east stopping in Ocho Rios for a night pitching my tent on Turtle Beach. I continued east until a town called Buff Bay at which point I left the coast and headed up into the Blue Mountains. The Big Bus was so big that it took up practically the whole road, which was winding and steep with many potholes. At this point it was about 9 pm and quite dark so I couldn't see the landscape. After about an hour of climbing up into the mountains, the Big Bus finally came to a stop and the remaining passengers disembarked. I had no idea where I was but I was exhausted and very hungry. Not knowing what to do I spoke to the group of passengers and said that I was lost and tired and that I needed someone's help. I was willing to pay for some food and a place to stay for the night. I man I would estimate at being around 35 years old spoke up and said that he would help me so I grabbed my backpack and followed him a little way to his mother Doris's house. It was the best foo0d that I ever tasted and after eating and having a couple of Red Stripes I pitched my tent in the yard and went to sleep. When I woke up and looked out of the tent I couldn't believe my eyes. I was high up in the Blue Mountains Coffee region and it was this tropical wonderland.
    Jamaica is a country not a beach with so much to offer. Jamaicans are some of the nicest people on earth and away from tourist areas like Negril they are the salt of the Earth. mavmaiden if you Love Jamaica but Negril has let you down there are many destinations that are there for you to discover. If a beach life is what you seek Treasure Beach is the place for you. It is a much mellower place than Negril is now and it offers a wonderful vacation without many of the things that disappoint you in Negril. Don't give up on Jamaica because of what Negril has become!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

This is a very interesting thread. When I started Negril.com 29 years ago, before the message board I was flooded with questions about late night entertainment. What were the happening places from midnight to 4am? It got to the point where I had to create an Entertainment section listing places and times. And NONE were in the afternoon. On our Negril Today page, the second paragraph was dedicated to the late-night festivities. There was usually something happening every night and they were always busy.

As the original Negril visitors. the hippies or boomers, whatever you want to call them got older, and their tastes and hours changed. Its unfortunate that mavmaiden came in December as that is a major holiday time and thus many more parties. Easter weekend is busy as is Emacipendence and Heroes weekend. Dream Weekend is a whole new category of parties. Kingstonians leave the big city to party all night on the beach during the holidays.

Major all-night blow outs got so bad during Spring Break that is was officially canceled forever. Those were really some loud times.

For the majority of the year, Negril is relatively quiet, with the previously unheard-of afternoon shows replacing the late-night shows. On an average week now, there are maybe 2 shows a week that go until midnight. Quite a difference from nightly shows 40 years ago.

The thing unique about Negril and Jamaica is that it does change with the times. Johng is reminiscing about 1978, and I bet if he went to those same places today they would not be as he remembers them. Times change. The Seastar Show was great as was its timing. The show was over by midnight, allowing us aging boomers to get more sleep than we needed 20 years before.

The Boat Bar and Drifters afternoon shows now let us get back in time for dinner and then to bed.

I was developing the concept for Negril.com 32 years ago. I am now 63. There are times in our neighborhood when a party goes on until nearly daylight. But I don't begrudge them for having their party because 40 years ago that was me and my generation pissing off the neighbors.

Negril is truly vastly more quiet than it was when I started Negril.com. But on the holidays, they can still pull out all the stops. And for me personally, the noise, or festive party sounds as I hear it reminds me that I was once them, and I wish them all the joy I had in those days. And if you really can't sleep, you can always join them or smoke a strong spliff or come during a quieter month.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Aw yes! The good old days. We're still the same Rob. We just go the bed earlier, wake up to pee more often, and when we do get up out of bed, we have to put one foot on the floor and wait until the rest of our body is ready to move in the same direction. I still move down the beach at about the same speed. The only thing is 30 years ago It was on foot, now it's on a motorcycle.

It's still possible to keep things the way they were, we just need to adapted a little. For example if the noise at Rick's is too much, staying a Tensing Pen or LTU isn't an option. What about Westender or Seastar. If there are too many parties at Waves then think about White Sands across the road or Rayon. For me (or us) we found The Point Village was perfect. Staying there for 20 years and then bought 12 years ago. Out on Rutland point, far removed from traffic noise and no beach party noise. You can hear a little noise from Royalton or maybe even RIU across the bay but that is gone before midnight. The only down fall is, well it's far removed. Too far to walk and go shopping. To far for groceries, so you have to have a driver or a vehicle.

If you want real quiet, think about Little Bay or even Treasure Beach. The problem with that is it's quiet but no vibe.

It's still possible to save Negril, we just need to adapt.

Question though, Rob, the noise abatement act of 1997 (NAA) is still in place. I can remember JCF was clamping down on loud parties a couple of years ago. I remember being at a friend's place up off Non Pariel Road listen to the boom boom boom. JCF pulled up and it was like a grenade went off. Partiers running in every direction, up the road, through the bush, everywhere. JCF took the speakers and that was the end of that. Rob, what happened to the NAA and why aren't the JCF enforcing it any more if it's scaring us old timers (sorry, Longtimers) away. Maybe a topic of discussion at the next Council meeting.

User Info Menu

Well said Rob. I remember years ago when we came down in August, thinking the beach would be relatively free of tourists. Well, it was free of Americans and snow birds but was jam packed (pardon the pun) with Jamaicans. That's when I learned about Jamaican Independence festivities. We didn't get upset...we joined the party! I believe that was the week one of my Jamaican buddies declared me to be Ja-merican.

User Info Menu

With regards to boom-boom Rick's...we've stayed at LTU for years and it's true you can hear the noise from Rick's but they quiet down after sunset. Biggest noise then is from pocket rockets zooming by on the road.

User Info Menu

I used to ride a really loud Harley. Getting home at 4:30am, I would cut the motor and coast the last block not to wake up the older neighbors. This never worked. Now at this age, I piss of the younger neighbors just after sunrise. Seems I'm always pissing someone off. My wife may be right after all.

User Info Menu

Speaking of Harleys...does anybody remember the boxing ring which was, i think, at Dreamscape? That guy had a Harley but I don't remember
    noise like the Japanese bikes of today. What I do remember was that the guy used the boxing club as a way to get young Jamaicans off the island for competitions and to experience more of the world...a worthy endeavor.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    Aw yes! The good old days. We're still the same Rob. We just go the bed earlier, wake up to pee more often, and when we do get up out of bed, we have to put one foot on the floor and wait until the rest of our body is ready to move in the same direction. I still move down the beach at about the same speed. The only thing is 30 years ago It was on foot, now it's on a motorcycle.

It's still possible to keep things the way they were, we just need to adapted a little. For example if the noise at Rick's is too much, staying a Tensing Pen or LTU isn't an option. What about Westender or Seastar. If there are too many parties at Waves then think about White Sands across the road or Rayon. For me (or us) we found The Point Village was perfect. Staying there for 20 years and then bought 12 years ago. Out on Rutland point, far removed from traffic noise and no beach party noise. You can hear a little noise from Royalton or maybe even RIU across the bay but that is gone before midnight. The only down fall is, well it's far removed. Too far to walk and go shopping. To far for groceries, so you have to have a driver or a vehicle.

If you want real quiet, think about Little Bay or even Treasure Beach. The problem with that is it's quiet but no vibe.

It's still possible to save Negril, we just need to adapt.

Question though, Rob, the noise abatement act of 1997 (NAA) is still in place. I can remember JCF was clamping down on loud parties a couple of years ago. I remember being at a friend's place up off Non Pariel Road listen to the boom boom boom. JCF pulled up and it was like a grenade went off. Partiers running in every direction, up the road, through the bush, everywhere. JCF took the speakers and that was the end of that. Rob, what happened to the NAA and why aren't the JCF enforcing it any more if it's scaring us old timers (sorry, Longtimers) away. Maybe a topic of discussion at the next Council meeting.
    The NAA was clarified to allow legally licensed parties to extend later. This was done because an overzealous officer was closing everything down. He was taking the word of the law not the intention. There was talk that he was going to make bar owners to install hitching posts for your horse since the law had never technically been changed. He is gone and any late parties that are legal have the proper permits. The JCF have volume meters to make sure the establishment is following the permit. As mentioned, these are mainly for parties during the holidays.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!