Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Crime

User Info Menu

Crime

I don't want to be negative, but can someone provide an update on the crime situation in Negril? I have read a few disturbing news articles with one quoting a businessman saying he was ready to close his shop due to the rising crime situation. I know Negril has always had it's issues. I've been nine times and never have felt threatened. But it appears to be getting worse not better. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Re: Crime

stevens21,

Just returned from two weeks in Negril.
    Didn't have any issues and was out and about day/night most every day.
    Spent most of my time on the West End, but did spend 1/2 day in Sav and a few trips to the beach.

Enjoy,

VVHT

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Crime

Quote Originally Posted by stevens21 View Post
    I don't want to be negative, but can someone provide an update on the crime situation in Negril? I have read a few disturbing news articles with one quoting a businessman saying he was ready to close his shop due to the rising crime situation. I know Negril has always had it's issues. I've been nine times and never have felt threatened. But it appears to be getting worse not better. Thanks!
    Stevens21,

I can understand your reaction to the disturbing news article, because it was written to be disturbing. A house not burning down is not newsworthy.

I happened to talk with the business owner yesterday. Without directly saying he was misquoted; he reiterated to me his exasperation of the unforgivable lack of water the West End has been facing since December. Things are beginning to improve now that the government has given the NWC permission to go ahead and replace the pipes and valves feeding water to Negril from the Logwood Plant.

He was really surprised they decided to attempt to explain his feelings without asking him, when his exasperation was much more caused by the water, or lack thereof, than the crime situation which is technically down so far this year. The crime situation has not changed much in Negril for a very long time now, not better and not worse. But access to news has changed and news articles can be enhanced using the wonders of AI at the push of a button.

Since your next visit will be your 10th, it will be equally as enjoyable as the previous 9. As VVHT said, Enjoy!!!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!