Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Question - Transportation Cost

User Info Menu

Question - Transportation Cost

I have a regular driver I use to/from airport to Negril and have no issue paying $80 + $20 tip. I will be using his services again for an upcoming trip but I want to know what is a reasonable price for the following: Airport to Restaurant (about 25 minutes east from airport) to hotel in MoBay (on Hip Strip). He will be eating lunch with us. What is a fair price for this? Next day he will be taking us to Negril for $80 but I will give a larger tip since it will be 5 of us.

User Info Menu

Re: Question - Transportation Cost

Jam71,

Is he driving from Negril to Mo Bay to pick you up at the airport and have lunch with you? Then he has to drive back to Negril after lunch.

I would suggest grabbing a local taxi in Mo Bay for arrival day and have your regular driver pick you up the next day to bring you to Negril.

Enjoy,

VVHT

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    I have a regular driver I use to/from airport to Negril and have no issue paying $80 + $20 tip. I will be using his services again for an upcoming trip but I want to know what is a reasonable price for the following: Airport to Restaurant (about 25 minutes east from airport) to hotel in MoBay (on Hip Strip). He will be eating lunch with us. What is a fair price for this? Next day he will be taking us to Negril for $80 but I will give a larger tip since it will be 5 of us.
    The usual price for an airport transfer from Sangster International Airport (MBJ) to the Hip Strip (Decameron) alone typically ranges from $20 to $40 USD per person for a shared shuttle, and around $60 to $100 USD for a private transfer. Considering you are going to lunch and including the driver who may have other plans, while a nice gesture, this keeps him off the road losing a chance to make more money for his family.

If he lives outside of MoBay and then has to go back the next day to transfer you to Negril from wherever he lives, he is essentially making 2 trips to pick you for something that should have taken him a couple of hours total the day before.

The US$80 price is extremely reasonable now, with all the fees, taxes, insurance, gas, etc. every driver pays. A US$100 is a small profitable price, while US$80 is a break-even price.

Since you are with a large group, please consider all this.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    Jam71,

Is he driving from Negril to Mo Bay to pick you up at the airport and have lunch with you? Then he has to drive back to Negril after lunch.

I would suggest grabbing a local taxi in Mo Bay for arrival day and have your regular driver pick you up the next day to bring you to Negril.

Enjoy,

VVHT
    No he's not driving from Negril to Mo Bay. He will have to go back towards Negril but will most likely pick up a fare since he also drives part time for Juta. I would do local taxi but he's been my long time driver.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The usual price for an airport transfer from Sangster International Airport (MBJ) to the Hip Strip (Decameron) alone typically ranges from $20 to $40 USD per person for a shared shuttle, and around $60 to $100 USD for a private transfer. Considering you are going to lunch and including the driver who may have other plans, while a nice gesture, this keeps him off the road losing a chance to make more money for his family.

If he lives outside of MoBay and then has to go back the next day to transfer you to Negril from wherever he lives, he is essentially making 2 trips to pick you for something that should have taken him a couple of hours total the day before. I agree $80 is extremely reasonable for MoBay to Negril that's why he gets $100 plus lunch.

The US$80 price is extremely reasonable now, with all the fees, taxes, insurance, gas, etc. every driver pays. A US$100 is a small profitable price, while US$80 is a break-even price.

Since you are with a large group, please consider all this.
    $60 - $100 from airport to Hip Strip??? We always have lunch (either sit down or quick grab) and our drivers are always included. Are you suggesting $60 - $100 for the portion of MoBay? He wouldn't let me take another driver anyway so I want to be fair with him. If you think $100 for airport to lunch to hotel is reasonable then I will go with that.

User Info Menu

Depends if you're solo or have others with you. I'd give him $50-60USD for the hour jaunt for lunch. If others are riding with you then more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corey K View Post
    Depends if you're solo or have others with you. I'd give him $50-60USD for the hour jaunt for lunch. If others are riding with you then more.
    $50 - $60 was the price I was thinking but it will be 4 others with me. I'm going to pay $80 + tip for MoBay then $100 + tip to Negril next day.

User Info Menu

$50 - $60 was the price I was thinking but it will be 4 others with me. I'm going to pay $80 + tip for MoBay then $100 + tip to Negril next day.
    You said you're close to this driver so maybe they give you a great deal. Most drivers charge per person. Just so you know the going rate with a deal for airport transfer in a private ride from MBJ to Negril is $35-40USD/person and that's on low end because many quote more than that nowadays. Inflation hasn't skipped Jamaica. You know your driver best so pay what you're comfortable with but $35-40/person is what most would expect these days.

User Info Menu

Yes he is a good friend that I have used for years. I have about 3 drivers in my rotation and none of them charge per person but I am aware that most drivers do. I'm not the typical tourist looking for the cheapest Red Stripe so I always want to be fair with my pricing.