Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Hurricane Beryl: Not Sure If Everyone Understands

User Info Menu

Hurricane Beryl: Not Sure If Everyone Understands

I'm not sure if everyone here understands the severity of what's about to happen here on Wednesday. Hurricane Beryl may or may not have a direct hit on Jamaica at a category 2. If it doesn't hit directly the eye may pass just south of here but still cause catastrophic damage. My carpenter is up top rebuilding the deck over the driveway of the house I'm leasing. I told him all the rotten wood and wreckage from the old deck had to be gone by Tuesday. He's "no problem mon"! "When the job's done we take everything in one load" next week. I told him it has to be gone by tomorrow. All the lumber, rotten wood, nails and old railing are going to be taken away by the wind and smash into vehicles, houses and people. "No problem mon". I'm pretty sure it won't be gone by tomorrow.

This younger generation were not around when the last big one hit and don't think it's a big deal but they have no idea. Rob has be through a few including Gilbert in 1988 that was a direct hit on Jamaica. He wrote about here on Negril.com a few years ago and is a good read. The infrastructure now is a little better and the electrical grid is a little more stable, but JPS will be cutting power in advance of the storm. I'm also thinking a few roadways and bridges will be blown away.

Rob, is this a big deal?

User Info Menu

Re: Hurricane Beryl: Not Sure If Everyone Understands

Hang on Negril! Stay safe!!!

User Info Menu

Batton down the hatches.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    I'm not sure if everyone here understands the severity of what's about to happen here on Wednesday. Hurricane Beryl may or may not have a direct hit on Jamaica at a category 2. If it doesn't hit directly the eye may pass just south of here but still cause catastrophic damage. My carpenter is up top rebuilding the deck over the driveway of the house I'm leasing. I told him all the rotten wood and wreckage from the old deck had to be gone by Tuesday. He's "no problem mon"! "When the job's done we take everything in one load" next week. I told him it has to be gone by tomorrow. All the lumber, rotten wood, nails and old railing are going to be taken away by the wind and smash into vehicles, houses and people. "No problem mon". I'm pretty sure it won't be gone by tomorrow.

This younger generation were not around when the last big one hit and don't think it's a big deal but they have no idea. Rob has be through a few including Gilbert in 1988 that was a direct hit on Jamaica. He wrote about here on Negril.com a few years ago and is a good read. The infrastructure now is a little better and the electrical grid is a little more stable, but JPS will be cutting power in advance of the storm. I'm also thinking a few roadways and bridges will be blown away.

Rob, is this a big deal?
    Is this a big deal? Yes, and bigger than most Jamaicans are preparing for. For instance, your rubble wood pile. By Thursday it will be moved with other rubble in its place. Most people working now were very little or not born when Gillbert hit the island. And according to the most accurate weather model, the European one, the ECMWF, Kingston is going to get the eye about noon tomorrow and we will be seeing major effects in Negril by 4pm. It should be a Cat 3 in Kingston and exit the island in Negril as a Cat 2.

I am not sure if you have witnessed the damage right after a tornado, but the results are similar but the damage is so widespread in a hurricane that it is as far as the eye can see,

I went shopping yesterday for canned goods, and they even had two for one specials. I think those will be gone by now. We are lucky that this one is moving fast, 20mph which makes a huge difference. Ivan was 100 miles offshore and moving at less than 5mph. It just wouldn't stop raining.

If the European model is correct, expect damage unlike anything you have ever seen. Be sure to tape your glass windows with duct tape in the form of an X. The glass will actually bow from the winds.

And realistically, not having water and electricity is pretty normal on the West End. So that's not a biggie.

And for the link to the Gilbert story, here it is:

https://negril.com/forum/showthread....-Gilbert-Story
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Is this a big deal? Yes, and bigger than most Jamaicans are preparing for. For instance, your rubble wood pile. By Thursday it will be moved with other rubble in its place. Most people working now were very little or not born when Gillbert hit the island. And according to the most accurate weather model, the European one, the ECMWF, Kingston is going to get the eye about noon tomorrow and we will be seeing major effects in Negril by 4pm. It should be a Cat 3 in Kingston and exit the island in Negril as a Cat 2.

I am not sure if you have witnessed the damage right after a tornado, but the results are similar but the damage is so widespread in a hurricane that it is as far as the eye can see,

I went shopping yesterday for canned goods, and they even had two for one specials. I think those will be gone by now. We are lucky that this one is moving fast, 20mph which makes a huge difference. Ivan was 100 miles offshore and moving at less than 5mph. It just wouldn't stop raining.

If the European model is correct, expect damage unlike anything you have ever seen. Be sure to tape your glass windows with duct tape in the form of an X. The glass will actually bow from the winds.

And realistically, not having water and electricity is pretty normal on the West End. So that's not a biggie.

And for the link to the Gilbert story, here it is:

https://negril.com/forum/showthread....-Gilbert-Story
    Great story Rob. I experienced Gilbert as well and this brought MANY memories flooding back. Hoping for the best possible outcome with Beryl. Stay safe everyone.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ratty2141 View Post
    Great story Rob. I experienced Gilbert as well and this brought MANY memories flooding back. Hoping for the best possible outcome with Beryl. Stay safe everyone.
    Thanks man! I wished I never had to have those memories, but after 30 years it was time to write them down.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!