Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Shootout in Negril

User Info Menu

Shootout in Negril

Four men who reportedly engaged members of the security forces in a blazing gunfight in the resort town of Negril, Westmoreland, early yesterday morning, were shot and killed and six firearms, including three rifles, seized.

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...oogle_vignette
    Free Vybz Kartel

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Shootout in Negril

I saw all this around 10:30am that Friday morning at the Corner Bar. Hundreds of people were all around downtown sharing what they had videoed. Police tape had the entire parking lot behind BK closed off.

After watching countless cellphone videos, it was like something out of a movie. I am not sure how the special police terrorist and organized crime squad got the gang cornered away from the public, but they did an incredible job!

This gang, which in addition to the 5 shot (4 dead, 1 in the hospital) on the pier or in the water, yes IN the water behind Burger King was comprised of 5 other men, also captured. This gang had members from across the island and had staged several ATM truck robberies Islandwide.

In one video I saw, it seemed that the police had been following the cars for some time. The police special unit is based in Montego Bay. When the gang parked around 9am behind BK, the police drove up in red plate cars, looking as if they were taxis. The recording stopped there. Another video shows the same area a few minutes later with the "taxis" parked and the gang making a mad dash to the pier. There were no gunshots I had heard yet.

The next video shows the police moving in on the gang when one of the gang members starts shooting. At that point, it did have the eerie trappings of a movie fire fight. I would guess the video caught about 30 rounds being exchanged quickly, with at least one gang member going down on the pier. Then, for reasons I cannot fathom, the rest of the gang dove in the water with their guns.

The police then quickly sprayed the water with gunfire and in the videos you could see water jets jumping in the air from the gunshots. The police dragged 3 bodies onto the boat and that is where the videos ended.

A few noticeable takeaways, this was an incredible job by the Police Terrorist and Organized Crime Unit. They must have caught the gang completely off guard. The police stood steadfast in the face of gunfire and did their job and protected the public at the same time. Since so many had videos, downtown had to have been busy at that point and not a single bystander was injured.

Since 5 more members of the gang were rounded up somewhere (not sure where on the island), this was essentially a sting operation to catch these gang members and keep them from robbing any more trucks that refill the ATMs.

Kudos to this amazing police unit for their bravery and skill. They completely broke up a gang that has been scaring ATM truck drivers for at least a year.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

WOW! This sounds like the police did an excellent job. Well done!!!

User Info Menu

Great work by the good guys!

User Info Menu

The riskiest point is filling the ATM's, so they try to do it less frequently. Not sure about Negril, but here in NYC they fill the machines with $300,000 each time. I was involved in the construction of a bank, an the filling of the 5 ATM's was done with 1 truck, which must've had at least $1.5m US in it.

User Info Menu

Here's a link to a video on youtube. Notice the 1 Love tiki boat in the background.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek-lueysPPc&t=2s