Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: US travel advisory shifts favourably for Jamaica

Administrator

User Info Menu

US travel advisory shifts favourably for Jamaica

There are a small but vocal group of people posting on TripAdvisor who state that they are never coming back or haven't been here for decades.

Other than being strange to be posting on TA Jamaica forums when they are not coming back, they try to use crime against tourists as their reason.

The US has reworded their previous unfortunate travel advisory to some thing closer to the truth.

From the Observer:

Jamaican officials, including the Ministry of Tourism and the Ministry of National Security, presented compelling data demonstrating the remarkably low crime rate against visitors, which stands at less than 0.01 per cent.

Furthermore, they showcased significant reductions in the overall rate of serious crimes: Jamaica recorded a seven per cent reduction in 2023 to reach its lowest overall crime rate in 23 years. Through continued diligence in 2024, the country has realised a further 14.9 per cent year-to-date decrease in serious crimes

There has been a steady effort for the Police to act with decisive actions against the perpetrators. So instead of crime against anyone in Jamaica being touted as going up, it is actually going down CONSIDERABLY. Apparently the US is taking proper notice!

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/2024...rably-jamaica/
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: US travel advisory shifts favourably for Jamaica

Just trolls in their basements needing one more thing to complain about (which is why I hate social media, the scourge of our society). I laugh when a friend will send me some warning about crime in Jamaica. I always tell them Jamaica is like any other place in the world and my example is "Would you go to the Buffalo East Side after dark? (a notorious part of town here), of course not!, The same is true in Jamaica, any tourist that gets in trouble is most likely where they shouldn't be". I've just never felt unsafe in Negril, and that's because of the great people there. I've brought multiple friends and family down thru the years and they've either been return visitors or vowed to make it back in the near future.
    Last edited by ukran1ans; Yesterday at 09:45 AM.
    Go Bills!

User Info Menu

Rob,

Great news!

Thanks,

VVHT aka Happy

User Info Menu

Us loyal visitors knew the truth all along!
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    Just trolls in their basements needing one more thing to complain about (which is why I hate social media, the scourge of our society). I laugh when a friend will send me some warning about crime in Jamaica. I always tell them Jamaica is like any other place in the world and my example is "Would you go to the Buffalo East Side after dark? (a notorious part of town here), of course not!, The same is true in Jamaica, any tourist that gets in trouble is most likely where they shouldn't be". I've just never felt unsafe in Negril, and that's because of the great people there. I've brought multiple friends and family down thru the years and they've either been return visitors or vowed to make it back in the near future.
    The funny thing, Jamaica is NOT "like any other place in the world". I don't see tent cities popping up everywhere here (because it's easier to get city assistance than it is to go to work 40 per week), I don't see meth heads shooting up in plain sight, and I don't see 10-20 criminals swarming a store to steal everything. I don't see grocery stores going out of business because of retail theft, and I don't see people walking around with cameras trying to troll a policeman into saying something wrong. And last but not least, I don't see Mommy and Daddy here dragging their 4 year old to a Jamaican doctor because he was born a boy but wants to be a girl (even though he has no idea want what kind of chocolate bar he likes or what kind of breakfast cereal is best, lets change his sex). So, no Negril and Jamaica are not like every where else.

This is a very interesting read and I keep it close by so I can read it every once in a while. It's on the internet and author unknown so no copy right violation.

The founder of Dubai, Sheik Rashid, was asked about the future of his country, and he replied, ?My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I ride a Mercedes, my son rides a Land Rover, and my grandson is going to ride a Land Rover?but my great-grandson is going to have to ride a camel again.? Why is that, he was asked?

His reply was, ?Hard times create strong men, strong men create easy times. Easy times create weak men, weak men create difficult times. Many will not understand it, but you have to raise warriors, not parasites.

?Add to that the historical reality that all great empires?the Persians, the Trojans, the Egyptians, the Greeks, the Romans, and in later years, the British?all rose and perished within 240 years.

They were not conquered by external enemies; they rotted from within. America has now passed that 240 year mark, and the rot is starting to be visible and is accelerating. We are past the Mercedes and Land Rover Years?.the camels are on the horizon.

?The greatest generation consisted of 18 year old kids storming the beaches at Normandy. And now, two generations later, some 18-year-old kids want to hide in safe rooms when they hear words that hurt their feelings. They also want free stuff from the government because they think they are entitled to it.?

Jamaica is not an easy country to live in and it's building strong men (and women). When Canada, the USA and some European countries emplode, Jamaica will stand strong.

That's why I live here now.

User Info Menu

Ok, that went in an unintended direction, but happy for your decision to move to Jamaica!
    Go Bills!

User Info Menu

“ There are a small but vocal group of people posting on TripAdvisor who state that they are never coming back or haven't been here for decades.”
    I think they should worry about seat belts and crossing the road. Lol we will take there seat..

Very Glad they reworded the statements.. it should be even more current and specific.

There are a few Jamaica Youtubers that have been speaking about this for sometime, a quick search and you’ll find them.
    They go through the very specific wording and changes needed, that were promoting fear instead of facts.

It definitely is better for Jamaica.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post

?Add to that the historical reality that all great empires?the Persians, the Trojans, the Egyptians, the Greeks, the Romans, and in later years, the British?all rose and perished within 240 years.

[/I]
    just thought I'd point out that of that group the Egyptians, the Greeks and the Roman empires all lasted much longer than 240 years.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewer View Post
    just thought I'd point out that of that group the Egyptians, the Greeks and the Roman empires all lasted much longer than 240 years.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!