Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: converting money on street

User Info Menu

The Chinaman places have better hours and since they seem to live on lower profit margins they are a win for me over the Cambios. Plus they don't ask for ID....then again I've forgotten my ID at Cambios and had locals (that I knew) walk in with no ID and exchange my money.

Random people on the street exchanging money......if I could convince them the Mexican dollar was equal to the USD I would give it a try.

User Info Menu

#1 rule dont do it

Limo Mon #1 rule never never exchange money with street people. Why you ask.
    They have way to many ways to cheat you and in the end they will. Most will offer same rate as bank , but they will cheat you. DONT DO IT . Soon Come Limo mon!

User Info Menu

Only changed money on the street one time,was a holiday and banks and cambios were closed, and guess what got ripped for $1000 j this guy was real good so it was like a tip for getting away with it! I mean I thought I was gonna get ripped so made him count it and hand me each bill one at a time! when I counted after some how it was short $1000!
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Yvonne...I don't see the word 'smart' written twice except in your second post. ??
    Now that's really strange & it gets even stranger. I copied & pasted the post from the board & when I posted it, there WAS only one smart. As I view it on the monitor, smart is there, twice in a row. Was then, still is now. This has happened a few times w/ my posts & I've seen it in other people's posts, too. I thought it was a board gliche. Now I'm thinking it's a computer gliche. Thanks, Lisa. Now at least I know it's on my end. The word that is doubled is always the last one on the line, second time it's there is on the next line. Go figure.

User Info Menu

Anyone remember the guy's name that changed money up by Times Square that got robbed and shot some years back.Nice guy never ripped you off and I'm glad he survived.Another reason to go to cambio you don't want to be in the middle of that.

User Info Menu

The reason (as was explained to me) for them giving a higher exchange rate is,that they work for the drug lords who need hard currency. Basically they are laundering the money before its taken out of the country. A few points for a drug lord is nothing. There is a guy that makes his rounds every day. he doesn't short change people (counter productive to his business). He knows all the employees, and they are happy to see him.

I wouldn't change money on the street

User Info Menu

And what about the new Canadian $ 100 dollar bills are they accepted down there ?
    THANKS

User Info Menu

????change to US before you go????I always do......

User Info Menu

NO need to convert to USF ..you are losing points on every currency conversion .. cambio is FINE with Canadian funds ..as always ..and especially now that our currency has gained huge on the greenback ..As for the 100,s ..not sure ..but I'd be surprised if it was an issue ..No need to bring too much cash with you .. ATM's are plentiful and dispense in Jamaican or USF ..
    The best advice I can give you here is to LEARN the Jamaican currency exchange and use Jamaican as much as possible ... this will save you untold money .. remember be generous ..but more importantly ..be discreet ..

User Info Menu

Back in 1991 when k went the first time, the rate was 8:1, but we tr aded money at the craft market for 14:1.. Not sure of legallity, but it made our money go allot further.. It was sooo long before i returned. I soon realized things had changed, especially the rate.. In 91, they didnt cheat us. But i got burnt for a small amount in negril 2 yrs ago on the street.. Never again.