Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: converting money on street

User Info Menu

Smile converting money on street

I am just wondering if it is safe to change Canadian money to Ja. from the guys in front of the hi-lo store. They always seem to have the better rates, and do not have to wait in line at the bank. Any thoughts about this. And what about the new Canadian 100 dollar bills are they accepted down there ?
    THANKS
    2 more sleeps

User Info Menu

If you change money on the street you will be plucked like a spring chicken.

"The hand is quicker than the eye!"
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

THE RATE THEY OFFER IS DIFFERENT THAN YOU GET IN YOUR HAND-don't do it!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Short answer - NO.

User Info Menu

Here are my thoughts on this: The only business model I can think of that would allow them to make money on this is by short-changing the customer. If you can think of any other way this could possibly be profitable, I'm interested in hearing it.

User Info Menu

Good thinking wrtiii!

User Info Menu

All of the above.

User Info Menu

Use the f/x trader at the hilo or one of the other legitimate cambios. Much shorter lines than the bank and no rip off. If the rate seems to good to be true, thats because it is.

User Info Menu

Although everyone is saying no do not do it.I have to say that in quite a lot of times over a number of years I have ran out of changed money and have used these guys frequently.I was never ripped off and I approached them with the amount I wanted sometimes I got it and sometimes I got 200j less but they would tell me beforehand . Personally I have never had a problem.The very very first time a few years back one of them said a rate and then gave me 500j short now I do not know how others are handling this but I was just like hey mr. get your booty back over here I think you just accidentally ripped me off! held my hand out THANKYOU.
    Never had any bother since I always get the rate I want

User Info Menu

Thanks TIC
    see you at Travels on the 30th

good advice from all above