Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How safe is Negril to stay in a NON AI??

User Info Menu

@ Simon, no worries you will be safe. Following threads on several JA forums for years and it seems like tourist are at a lower risk in JA than at home. I've never once stayed in an AI in Jamaica and have enjoyed each place, the locals and the freedom that the smaller places offer.

@ Bnewb, while the no thank you term is heard and understood in tourist areas, it's use (in my opinion) is not common in remote areas away from the tourist areas. Along the same lines, some of the remote areas don't have high rates of kids in schools and in some cases people know only Patois and not the Queen's English. Then again, it's a Negril forum and I would agree that most people know what the the term means in Negril.... BTW, I'm Charles JAB from the old board and it was nice to met you and Rob this April.

User Info Menu

Nice to have met you also, Eco!!!

While I agree mostly with your comments (it's getting much more difficult to find Jamaicans that only speak Patois)...the comments here were in regard to helping a first time visitor to Jamaica and how to address a vendor when you don't want to buy their product(s). This implies that they're in a tourist area and every vendor/higgler most certainly knows what "no, thanks" means.

Before I forget...HI, Simon...great to see you here!!

User Info Menu

Hey Simon,

When are you coming to Negril, we've been going for 17 years, and used to frequent Roots Bamboo before we had kids. Negril is the friendliest place on the planet, there are certain nuances to get used to but once you get in the groove (Vibe) it's all good and life all of a sudden takes a different perspective. Where were you thinking of staying?
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    This implies that they're in a tourist area and every vendor/higgler most certainly knows what "no, thanks" means.
    Many would argue that a direct "No" is the best defence against what may otherwise be a persistant higgler. In the right situation there's nothing wrong with a direct "NO".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Craig123 View Post
    Apparently in the Jamican culture "No" means "No" while "Thanks" is a term associated with "Yes". Saying "No Thanks" is like saying "No Yes" and may make you a percieved soft target for hagglers. Their thoughts are "what is he thanking me for"?
    Quote Originally Posted by northcoast View Post
    We have been programmed to say "no, thanks" out of politeness in our culture, but that is often misunderstood & confusing to Jamaicans (especially those wanting to make a sale)
    When dealing with a persistent/annoying higgler...of course a direct "NO" is the correct response if they are not respecting your initial response of "no thanks".
    But, in every other circumstance a "no thanks" is a perfectly acceptable response...it will NOT be misunderstood. There is no reason to start off rude...as I said above...Jamaicans DO know manners.

User Info Menu

Hey Simon, welcome! I have traveled solo to Negril a dozen times, never AI, and I always felt safe. I didn't walk alone late at night and never carried much of value with me. For the most part, locals looked out for my well being and security at the hotels was good. The beach is wonderful (I am a beach lover) and I would walk it for hours each day with my ipod and camera--no worries.

As far as the "no" tangent, I never say just "no" but always say "no thanks" or just shake my head and rarely have had sellers persist after that--there are some that are more aggressive than others though. After they became familiar with me I really wasn't bothered much and enjoyed some great conversations with some vendors that did not have anything to do with items being sold. So based solely on my experiences over the years, in Negril "thanks" in not an invitation or a promise--it is the same courtesy I use everywhere I go. It is an individual's choice as to how to react to vendors, and for me "no thanks" works just fine.

User Info Menu

@ Craig, from my experience it's better to be perceived as a polite person that does not buy anything than a rude person. Most of the vendors talk to each other and that is why most people that don't buy notice a drop off in the requests over a few days or a week. Give me a day in Negril and almost nobody hits me up after I crossed their path or that of their friends. Flip that around and watch the trip reports of those that buy buy buy...give give give and watch their mileage. Heck, some of my best vacation friends are vendors/hustlers/pimps/d_ug dealers/s_x workers....cause I didn't buy but treated them with respect. On the flip side...the rude a holes that treat people in a rude manner might have interesting stories to tell if they explore remote places or even in town after dark.

IMHO the best defense for the higglers is selling them something. They have played the game 100-100,000 times but it ruins their game if you try to sell them whatever you don't need....in some cases they will actually buy it. In other cases you might break down their offensive exterior and learn a bunch about why they do what they do and get a few good laughs with them. In the end, they are trying to put food on their table (excluding the crackheads) and we are trying to relax on a vacation.

@Bnewb, I'll agree about most speaking English but a good share of my time on the island is far away from tourist areas and they don't speak English. While these places can be a challenge at times, the joy of meeting kids that have never seen a white person is sooooo cute and rewarding!

User Info Menu

Can I just say SMH while reading this thread? I am very offended for some of my friends.
    Where to start: I can only use myself experience as knowledge being it the only first hand I have. I readily admit I do not use good judgement as far as safety and precautions while in Jamaica. That being said I walk the streets and back streets and west end in all hours of the night, go clubbing alone and go in anywhere invited by locals solo.
    OMG this part blows my mind it ha sto be addressed but I absolutely absolutely use kind and polite manners ( No thank you) at all times aside from a little sarcasm mixed in ( Mi Nah need nah big bamboo mi got batteries) to all Jamaicans even the pushy ones as I am a visitor in their country, yes I am giving my tourism dollars but they could get those just as easy by robbing me. All tourists have to remember they are allowing us safe travels there this is a privilege. I make friends with the drug dealers and pimps and hustlers and honestly these are the best friends to have because characters that see you are in with other less than savory folks are really going to leave you alone if they have any undesirable thoughts because they are afraid of what harm will come to them if they harm you, as Jamaicans do not like other Jamaicans who commit crimes on tourists. Check youtube and see what happens to Jamaicans seen robbing other ones plenty of tourists have videotaped what they have seen in disbelief.
    There are far more good folks than bad. I have never had a single moment I questioned my safety in Negril other than once with a US tourist and a few Jamaicans present for that offered to handle it.
    Ofcourse if I were to give good judgement safety advice it would be; Stay at a hotel with good security ( get recommendations or ask on this same board). Do take taxi's on west end at night as the roads themselves are unsafe to walk on in dark. Do not flash easily grabbable items or lots of cash( would you leave cheese on livingroom floor if you had seen even 1 mouse by front door earlier). Do not carry more cash then necessary if you run out cab fare is very cheap easy to go back to room and get more from safe.
    NEVER walk unlit beach areas with small groups in the middle of night, take the road. You are only asking for trouble. Feel free to stroll in front of your hotel or even further if it's lit and there is security but there are many vacant properties along main beach and this is where the unsavory folks would be at this time of day.

Children Are Our Tomorrow !

User Info Menu

I agree with the NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig123 View Post
    Many would argue that a direct "No" is the best defence against what may otherwise be a persistant higgler. In the right situation there's nothing wrong with a direct "NO".
    1st I give the NO MON ! Next its Direct NO! Then if needed I use the direct GO! Soon Come Limo Mon!

User Info Menu

no problem mon, try rooms on the beach very reasonable and smack dab in the middle of everything it's a great place to stay if you like the beach....very safe