Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birds over Booze (Etc)

User Info Menu

Birds over Booze (Etc)

Has anyone on board been to Rocklands Feeding Station?

I know that I'm flying my nerd flag here but I'm a huge bird lover.

I've seen vids on youtube and it looks great.

If anyone has any info on it I'd be much obliged.

Thanx!

User Info Menu

I haven't been there yet.. but Markus and I really really want to go to Rockland's Bird Santuary on our next reach. It's on our bucket list.
    So I thought we could all wave our nerd flags together and wait for responses to roll in.

(We're also big bird lovers. We have a hummingbird feeder outside our bedroom window and we hide behind the curtains to watch "hummy" feed. I can't imagine how cool it would be to have one land on my finger.)

6 more nights until Jamaica!...I'm excited for you! Are you all packed and ready to go?
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Clarity,
    Both of you too?
    I put at least eight feeders out in the winter (Frost Bite Falls has a serious winter) and a heated bird bath.

Once a hummingbird got trapped inside our school.
    He was exhausted and scared when we finally caught him (to release him).
    He couldn't even flap his wings because he was so spent (high metabolic rate uses/loses energy quickly).
    I was holding him in my palm and the poor guy couldn't move.
    It dawned on me we should try sugar water.
    His little haired-like tongue came out and he hit the sugarwater, it was like jump starting a car.
    He went from spent to gone in under 30 seconds.
    It was so cool to get to hold him.

In WI we just get one kind - the ruby throated.
    Rocklands will be so great.
    Next week.
    I'll report on it.

User Info Menu

I haven't been yet but just like Clarity, this is on my bucket list as well.
    I was actually thinking of making a stop after we arrive in April as our plane lands fairly early and it is not too far from the airport. I was thinking of perhaps stopping there for a bit and then heading in to Negril afterwards

I have heard nothing but great things about this place and all the videos look so cool, a really unusual and very amazing experience I would say

I know Patty (Sather) has been as she has posted several videos of herself there feeding the hummingbirds before. So, maybe she will chime in and add her opinions.

I say, go for it!

User Info Menu

My husband and I are huge bird lovers too. We have 7 different feeders around our house. Most of them on the deck. In the summertime we have two hummingbird feeders. They are so much fun to watch. We should probably put that on our to do list for our next trip. I keep forgetting about it...
    Would be fun to get a group together in March. Anybody interested?
    dorisw

2017 was our 15th trip to Negril. Other islands we visited: Cozumel, Mexico (4 times) St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Aruba, Harbour Island, Bahamas, Anguilla, St. Maarten/St.Martin, Ambergris Caye, Belize (twice)

User Info Menu

On our last two visits to Negril we noticed that the first house on the right, going to Seastar, has a lot of birds in the tree and on the ground. The man who lives there has come out and talked to us because we would stop every time to watch the birds. He feeds them and has a bird bath filled with water. I don't remember what he said they were but they're very colorful and small, sort of like a tropical finch. If you're in the neighborhood, check them out.
    Because Seastar has such beautiful grounds you can watch all kinds of birds from your balcony. Our favorites are the doctor birds.
    dorisw

2017 was our 15th trip to Negril. Other islands we visited: Cozumel, Mexico (4 times) St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Aruba, Harbour Island, Bahamas, Anguilla, St. Maarten/St.Martin, Ambergris Caye, Belize (twice)

User Info Menu

I have a patio cover with two skylights. Every now and then a hummer will try to fly up through the glass. They keep bumping their little heads and exhaust themselves, never realizing that flying down is to safety. If I see them, I get a dust mop and hold it under them until they land on the mop-head. Then I slooooowly move it away from the skylight and to open space. They then fly away.

I've had two of them lock into territorial fighting that both flew into my glass door, stunning themselves. I was able to gently pick them up and place them in a tree until thay came back to their senses.

Good times...

User Info Menu

@ Marley - I was watching the youtube and I thought "Wow, that woman looks like Patty (even though I've never met her even though I once lived in North Dakota - small population)!

@Rum Runner thanks for the tip on the bird-man-of-Negril.
    I'm going to be checking that out.
    I know I'm a nerd but I'm packing my binoculars just for the birds.

One day I was conversing with my daughter and a cardinal landed on our deck.
    I stopped conversing and blurted out "CARDINAL"! (they're not rare here I just like them).
    My daughter looked at me and said, "You have A.D.D. only for birds."
    Oh well, she works with special needs clients so this type of behavior doesn't flap her.

User Info Menu

LOL, Rum

Make sure to stop by Xtabi or over by No Limit Bar and Pee Wee's Bar so you can see the parrots
    Plenty of really cool birds to watch in Negril

User Info Menu

Here you go guys

It was a amazing relaxing day, I loved it.....