Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumpolephoreskin's Existential Wanderings in and Around Negril

User Info Menu

Stories and the 9 day limit.
    Man I hope I can get done before you leave.
    The story has a nice climax, but I don't want to skip details that travelers may find helpful.
    I get my best trip plans from the incidental details of trip reports and I do want to repay that debt.

But I hear you on the joy of saying 9 days.

Stories . . . soon come.

PS remember Ayn rhymes with swine.

User Info Menu

Rum - I totally agree with you about some of the interiors in Jamaica resembling Van Gogh paintings!
    Like this painting:
    http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...ng-FG-132-.jpg

There is that intensity and strong use of primary colors, especially yellows and greens and blues.
    It's part of what I love about going to Jamaica.
    It feels like stepping into a beautiful bright expressionist painting

Really enjoying your trip report and observations.
    looking forward to your next update!
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Clarity:
    Bingo (on the hyperlink).
    Those are almost the exact colors of Kevin's.

Later we uncover some cubism . . . seriously.

User Info Menu

Rum, Kevin is the chef at the cookshop. Afternoon/evening I should specify. On Sundays I think he is up at the Beach Park, and the shop is closed.

He has made some tasty sauteed vegetables by request. A bit pricey but fresh made.

Enjoying your story. Any pics of your swimming ankle noose/reigns raft floating?

User Info Menu

Van Gogh's bedroom Clarity, very nice
    What's so funny 'bout Peace, Love and Understanding?

User Info Menu

LOLA!!!!
    I'm so glad you chimed in.

No pictures of the ankle nooses - they were simply a length of rope with a hangman's noose on either end.
    Was that Kevin in the picture serving the food?

Look at the picture where Mrs. Peel is smiling, she's smiling because the girl behind the bar didn't want her picture taken (I asked first) so she is ducking down behind the bar. In the un-cropped photo you can see her ponytail and a little bit of her back.

Hoho!

User Info Menu

Day 4

We woke Saturday morning to the sounds of a Canadian invasion. A large family group had arrived at Xtabi the night before and now they were on the cliffs. We heard them laughing and carrying on and it was infectious. When we got up to check it out we saw Gerryg out to sea, floating on his raft.

The Canadians were blown away by Xtabi's cliffs and were daring each other to jump. We invited one of the women up to our terrace so she could get a good angle for photographing the Canadian cliff diving team.

The Canadians were like kids at the beach. They revved up the atmosphere. Just as they were getting whipped up Gerryg stopped by our terrace. We kicked it for a while, it was his last day. He said he was leaving his raft there and that we were welcome to use it.

After Gerryg left we watched the Canadian family cliff jump for about a half hour, then ocean envy got a hold of me. I was compelled to get in. Mrs. Peel got in a chaise lounge and read. When I got in the drink the Canadians were talking about snorkeling. I told them that if they just went around the point (that separates Xtabi from 3 Dives) there was great snorkeling.

I spit in my googles and swam out. The swells were big that day, maybe 4 feet. In two days the sea was too rough for swimming, but for right now it was fun. If you get out far enough to avoid the claptotis (technically standing waves - but sometimes the confused seas that happen when good sized waves hit a vertical surface) you can get a nice ride on the sea swells. I tried body surfing but the waves weren't curling enough. There's a water park in my home state that has a big wave generating pool. If you get out to the deep water of the pool, and tread water the waves give you a constant rolling sensation that seems to establish residency in your inner ear. When you get out that rolling sensation sticks with you.

I was hoping for that sensation from the big waves blowing in from the north, but that didn't happen. Maybe the salt water made me too buoyant.

Swimming doesn't bother my bad leg at all, in fact when I got out of the hospital swimming brought me back to life.. I was taking pain killers around the clock. I had a notion swimming might help so I went to our local Y. The first trip I could barely get in the building because my leg was so damaged. I had to walk with a cane. It took three trips to the Y before I could complete a mile non-stop. The day I swam my first mile (post injury) my pain all but vanished. With practice I got to the point where my leg was not a handicap in the water. I'm positive that swimming sped up my recovery and prevented me from getting caught up in pain-killers.

I fooled around in the rollers for about an hour than swam in. Mrs. Peel was probably getting peckish. The woman eats like she has a hollow leg. One the Canadian guys said, " You swim like Aqua-man." It was the perfect compliment for me and I walked away grinning like a gibbering idiot.

Mrs. Peel and I headed to the beach for breakfast at Colletta's. We made a stop for a Jenny cake. Mrs. Peel was going to get back on thehorse that threw her. Admirable!

Colletta's food was great.
    Name:  IMG_0716(3).jpg
Views: 529
Size:  91.6 KB

I looked around and saw that all the current patrons were route taxi drivers. This became my new bench mark for locally owned restaurants: Cabs indicate good food. This rule was proven the next day.

From Colletta's we entered the beach via Roots Bamboo.
    Name:  IMG_0717(2).jpg
Views: 533
Size:  93.4 KB

I scanned the walls and ceiling for my daughters sign but I couldn't find it.
    Name:  IMG_0718(2).jpg
Views: 544
Size:  96.3 KB

From Roots we walked up the beach toward Seasplash.
    Name:  IMG_0719 (2).jpg
Views: 533
Size:  93.3 KB

What beach erosion?
    Name:  IMG_0720 (2).jpg
Views: 515
Size:  92.4 KB

Their construction was still underway so I thought I'd give "Boombastic" a try.
    (Pictures of the new bar from two angles)
    Name:  IMG_0723(2).jpg
Views: 534
Size:  96.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0728(2).jpg
Views: 449
Size:  94.5 KB

The bartender laughed when I said it and an older man who appeared to be Seasplash affiliated said to me," Say that again."I accommodated and he said, " I like hearing that."
    Name:  IMG_0735(2).jpg
Views: 512
Size:  84.5 KB

Boombastic still works, we got couple of Redstripes for an incredibly cheap price. I took some photos of the construction,
    Name:  IMG_0721(2).jpg
Views: 495
Size:  99.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Info Menu

Nice report. Good times, rum ....

User Info Menu

..The woman eats like she has a hollow leg...
    LOL!
    I'm going to use that one.

I'm really enjoying your report and pics

I'm shocked at the erosion on the beach though! That's crazy!
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

I certainly hope you and Mrs. Peel are able to travel to Negril again soon. You write a great report!