Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1823242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Rumpolephoreskin's Existential Wanderings in and Around Negril

User Info Menu

Thank you.
    Well chosen name!

User Info Menu

Rumpole, you've been missed! Glad you are back to the story

User Info Menu

Lola,
    You are too kind.

User Info Menu

Yes Lola, We are glad hes back! And you too

User Info Menu

Day 11 The Flight home

It may have been the flight home but we certainly weren’t fleeing (Jamaica).
    On that last day the only thing we wanted to flee were the responsibilities that were exerting their gravitational pull on us. Well we all experience that, so it is hardly trip report fodder. I’ll relate two vignette’s from our last day that may be informative, I make no promises.
    I was sitting on a bench beside the driveway near the office of Xtabi. My chin was resting in the palm of my hand. I imagine I probably did look forlorn. Alfred pulled up, ready to deliver us to evil (OK hyperbole alert – but frigid cold, non-Jamaican surroundings). He looked at me smiling and said, “We don’t put our head in our hands in Jamaica.”

I couldn’t help smiling. My philosophy directs me to enjoy the moment. Not being involved in the present is, essentially, a denial of life. You may not like where you are at any given moment, but to deny it, or wish for the future is to wish your life away. Thanks Alfred. He was right. I was still in Jamaica and there were still things to enjoy. Snap out of it loser (me)!

User Info Menu

We made a couple stops in town. First I picked up a nice, big piece of Mrs. Peel’s favorite chocolate cake. Then we stopped at the Chinaman’s (Dude, the preferred nomenclature is Chinese-Jamaican) for souvenir liquor.

As we were approaching Mo-bay I asked Alfred to let me know when we were within ten minutes of the airport because I wanted to have my cake as close to take-off as possible. Alfred looked at me like I was a rather backward child.

“You don’t go through customs until you land,” he said. He watched my face to see if his comment registered. I was still in the dark and I’m guessing my facial expression conveyed that. Alfred rejoined me with, “You can eat your cake in the airport . . . no one cares.”

Duh, then came the dawn. A couple hours later (because American Airlines has a policy against leaving on time) Mrs. Peel and I were sitting at a Bobsled table, a square of aluminum foil was spread out between us and we took turns pressing the remnants of our Jenny-cake into the tines of a plastic fork.

I’ve never liked flying. I’ve enjoyed it even less post 9/11, but I have to say that was an enjoyable trip. I’ve never been more relaxed on a flight. I may have even fallen asleep and I’ve never done that (before) on a plane.

That’s my report. I will back as soon as finances allow. Some one asked me why I was going to Hawaii (next) instead of Jamaica. It’s simply a question of money. We’ve got a time share condo opening in Hawaii (about $200 for a week – conveniently over looking the annual maintenance fee). As Gerryg would say, “My heart is in Negril.” I’d rather be in Jamaica than any place in the world (with the exception of Yellowstone NP - the difference is Jamaica is always warm and oh yeah, no grizzly bears). I hope in reading this report you’ve gleaned some useful information. I’ve noticed in using our board as a reference I’ve gleaned much more useful information by reading trip reports than by posing direct questions. Negril . . . soon come!

User Info Menu

Awesome Report Rum! Thanks for taking us along!
    Congrats again to you and Mrs. Peel (soon to be Mrs. Rum)

User Info Menu

Thanks, I really enjoyed your trip report! I picked up lots of little tid-bits that i will be using on the next trip. Congratulations, and thank you for your honesty, as well as sharing your experiences.
    Last edited by wpyogi; 03-09-2012 at 12:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the report!

Where is the best place to buy chocolate cake from?

User Info Menu

Tell your driver you want a Jenny-cake.
    They'll get you there.
    I'd be more specific but they (the bakers) seem to be intentionally flying under the radar.
    It's in the near west end.