Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumpolephoreskin's Existential Wanderings in and Around Negril

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marley9808 View Post
    When you find someone that makes you talk like that....or when you, as a couple, make everyone else around you nauseous, I believe that is when you know you have found the one!
    haha - I total agree Marley!

LOL PGW - your comments had me laughing. I agree that this is a chick flick and I'm truly enjoying every minute of it.

Thanks Rum for sharing your story with us, please keep it coming. More!!
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

I have to stop here.
    We're leaving for Negril in four hours.
    It is not a cliff hanger on purpose.

I didn't know this aspect of our trip report was going to take on a life of its own.
    I've told more than I intended but I have no regrets.
    I'm in love and I don't mind telling that to anyone.

Brasi started to take shape for me as a whole person when he began to discuss his regrets.
    Nope Windsor, he wasn't sappy, he's just relating a story all men have gone through: enduring a broken heart.

Partying is easy.
    Talking about what's going on in your life allows others an insight on our shared humanity.

Oops!
    Waxing philosophical.
    Time to quit and try to get some sleep.

Soon come.

User Info Menu

I can't wait for the next installment! Your story is great and your writing is completely bringing it to life.

User Info Menu

Ok No problems, we're in Negril.

Day one:
    Leaving Madison, Wisconsin went smooth at 2:30 AM. The VanGalder bus was conveniant but the seats seemed to be designed by a vertically challenged sadist. Not kidding. My back seized upon me after we got off the bus. There was no comfortable position. Still Van G. is the way to go - very slick.

Boarded plane smoothly then were told to get off. The Captain was absent.
    What, is he Jamaican? Soon come. This makes for a two-hour delay.

I had a good chance to explore O'Hare. The toilet stall walls come very close to the floor. I'm guessing they do this to protect us from Senators with "wide stances". Nobody was/could do any foot exploring there.

We hit customs along with another flight so there was a wait. Our apprehension (mild) was builidng because we'd booked Alfred for transfer and were two-hours overdue. Mrs. Peel had texted him about the delay but we'd not heard back.

Fear not, when we got to the taxi stand, Alfred was waiting (play the old song "Montego Bay" in your head for suitable background music). It was rush hour in Mo-Bay but Alfred handled the bus like it was an MG (for those of you too young, an MG is the sports car mentioned in the song Montego Bay" - probably the first Reggae song to get U.S. airplay). Alfred's driving is a study in professionalism, imagine how good you'd drive if you spent 8 hours a day behind the wheel; now trieble that and you'll have a faint approximation of Alfred's skills... more on that in a bit.

User Info Menu

Alfred's expertise extends to (euphimism alert) the ability to prepare a submarine sandwhich while driving. I can make a sub and I can drive a car but I can't do both simultaneously.

The sub helped spark Mrs. Peels appetite.

Biggas:
    I got out first and spoke to Bigga explaining this was Mrs. Peel's first time in Ja. and that he was her introduction to Ja. cooking. I also shared the purpose of our trip.
    Name:  IMG_0667 copy.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  84.7 KB

Bigga was really funny. When he served up the chicken he gave us forks and this bit of advice, "It's better if you use our fingers." I laughed out loud because I personally suscribe to this theory. Bigga's delivery of this struck me totally as a double entendre.

The food: The sauce is spicy but we didn need to cut it with ketchup. We liked it straight but we cook with Habanero peppers regularly. If you're sensitive to hot food, taste it before you dive in. The chicken itself was delightful.

When we were ready to go, Bigga said, "Lot's of peole don't want to wash their hands cause down the road they might want a smell or a taste." I laughed out loud because I've always enjoyed a free smell on my fingers. Bigga said stop back on the way home and he'd give us a bottle of the sauce to take home as a present.

One love!

Couple fruit/rum punches and dinner at Xtabi and we bedded down after close to 40 hours of being on the move.
    Last edited by Rum-polephoreskin; 01-23-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add photo I hope

User Info Menu

We swam from Xtabi the Rockhouse this AM.
    A nice couple shared a couple Red Stripes with us.

When we got back to Xtabi we bumped into GerryG.

More later

User Info Menu

Great seeing you today, Rum .... Your story is incredibly GOOD~~~~

User Info Menu

Loved your blog about Wall and Wall Drug. Not too far from my neck of the woods. My favorite aunt (by marriage) is a Hustead, and I've sat in that very same spot and watched the tourists come and go. Small world! And I am very much enjoying your love story.
    Last edited by Maryann; 01-12-2012 at 07:45 PM.

User Info Menu

This piece of the report is coming from "Easy Rock Internet Cafe". Ridiculously low prices.

Alfred brought me a cell on Thursday morning. Dude is so cool. I didn't have enough cash last night to cover the transfer fee and tip so he trusted me for it. When he stopped by with the phone all my cash was still in travelors checks; guess what I got the phone and some coldcuts (subs later) and Alfred just said he'd catch me later. Please take a moment and ask yourself if you could transact business like that at home. If so you're lucky, than it means Alfred is treating you like you're at home. But you're then getting homestyle treatment at a world class tourist destination - please contemplate: How cool is that?

Alfred is older than he looks - he's a healthy man. Regardless he's lapped the sun more than a few times. As we were driving through Lucea, he told us the story of the clock. He spoke with such pride I thought Lucea must be his home town.
    NO.
    Negril.

So I asked him how far back he could remember? He said to when the sea grapes came down to the water, in other words, before tourism started. We began to talk about the novel, "Banana Shout." Alfred attested to Mark Conklin's veracity - I won't go farther than that; Ask Alfred. He can tell you more and I don't wish to put words in his mouth. Good stories.

Alfred has seen all of Negril's evalution from fishing village until now. So here's my tourist guilt question: Alfred, how do you feel about the changes to Negril?"
    "It's very good mon. Without tourism it can be hard to feed a family. Tourism helps the people."

I grew up as a townie near Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Tourism helped feed me as a boy. When I look back on that time and consider Aflred's take on tourism, I don't think I showed enough of Alfred's brand of love toward the Illinois tourists. Unless they were pretty girls anyway - ho ho.

I'm going to spend money freely down here becaue the people appreciate my contribution. I'll probably spend like I'll never get here again. I went through a few years where money was scarce. Things are better for me now and I like sharing my goood fortune with people who appreciate the offering. And Alfred says I can indulge guilt free.

One love.

As we traveled to Negril, I surreptitiously told Alfred my purpose - it may be too late becuase Mrs. Peel has been reading the trip report and I know Marley (digits) asked me if I was the one who. . . . and I said yes (though Mrs. Peel is typing for me down here so I'll continue to play it coy).

My purpose dovetails sweetly though not completely with Alfred's philosophical musings on "coupling up". Alfred said, "Why do you [Americans] take it [coupling up] so seriously? If you like someone be with them; then when someone else looks good, you can be with them. Why take it so serious?"

These aren't my sentiments exactly but if you can set your predjudices aside you have to admit this may be a viable alternative to locking people into contracts they have a fundamental biological drive to violate.

As for me, I don't want to share Mrs. Peel so I'm not going to ask her to share me. No disrespect Alfred, I still believe your theory holds water. Americans may be too aquisitive, too property conscious to see things that way. I'm not sure. It bears contemplation. I'll ruminate over a sub.

When Alfred got to Xtabi (Thursday morning) we were swimming back from Rockhouse. He called me by my real first name. Lovely - what a sweet sound away from home: hearing your name called in greeting.

When we finally got going Thursday morning, it was about I0:30. The sea had lost its morning calm and there were gentle 2 ft. swells along with a mild south wind. I put two small nooses in oppposite ends of a length of rope. I put a noose over each of my ankles. Now I had about four foot loop of rope, reins actually, joininlg my legs. Thanks to Gerry G. we brought an air raft with us.

We went down through a cave to the sea. I helped Mrs. Peel onto the raft. She was greasy with sunscreen and had trouble mounting the raft. Mrs. Peel has dark hair but the complexion of a Swede. Shes survived skin cancer once so we try to respect the sun. When she was situated on the raft ("I need to scoosh up more") I had her grab the rope loop between my ankles and I pulled her on the raft.

This may sound difficult but its actually symbiotic. The raft person gets towed around and can chill and tan. The swimmer can get their swim on safely because the raft rider can guide the swimmer's direction with the rope. Also, the raft and person floating on it is much more visible to boats than a lone swimmer. Try this sometime. You'll be surprised how easy it is to tow someone on a raft.

We swam from Xtabi to the Rockhouse. We climbed out and sat on a pair of adorondike chairs. If you haven't been to the Rockhouse I'll describe there waters edge. A penninsula of jagged limestone points a finger into the sea. Inside the sharp edges of limestone are smooth concrete paths and at some points as you get closer to the water the paths turn into lily pads of concrete that function like stepping stones The adorondike chairs were just beyond the ladder where we climbed out. The chairs sat on a big lily pad and were connected to the main path via the above mentioned lily pads.

Near us was another couple sitting in chaise lounges. The couple was maybe Mrs. Peels age; maybe a bit younger. The woman said they came to Negril often and like the quiet the Rockhouse afforded. They had a cold six pack of Redstripes and offered us one each. How kind. We didn't exchange names but they did say they were leaving Saturday, which put a small cloud over the sun. It was our first full day and who want s to hear the "L" word. We thanked them for the beers, which found the spot and hit it. We'd swam over sans my waterproof wallet so like Blanch Dubois (Street Car Named Desire) we depended on the kindness of strangers.

After the swim we had coffee on our cottage's deck. Omar was taking care of us and he is excellent. Omar is a thoughtful young man with a winning smile and a prudent side that is exemplary. After the coffee, we headed up to Ras Roddy's hopefully to get an Ital fruit drink with lots of electrolytes. I was hoping for a banana/oj drink but all he had was apple juice. Bonnie (our driver), Mrs. Peel and I had one each and the man taking care of us mixed in ginger, which gave the apple juice a tasty, earthy flavor but not the electrolyte fix I needed.

Next we went to "Just Natural" for a Ja. breakfast (ackee and saltfish), again this is all new to Mrs. Peel. Christine took care of us. Guess what? I got my oj/banana drink there. I think when you come down here from a cold climate it is very easy to lose your electrolytes. You're sweating much more than you would at home. You may be drinking more than you do at home (but not water) so you are going to get dehydrated. This also messes with your electrolytes. Signs to watch for: shakiness, cramps, light headednes. If you notice these symptoms drink some water (a couple glasses) and get a banana in you. I know, "that's what she said."

Seriously, if you went out the night before and tried to set olympic drinking records, get a banana or three in you the next morning.

Sorry Mrs. Peel has quit being my typist. I've got more but she wants to roll on. I'm too slow, I can write longhand faster than I type. So I may not finish this until we get home. If I'm going to be demanding of Mrs. Peel it won't be about typing - respect Rum-pole out
    Last edited by Rum-polephoreskin; 01-23-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typos
    That rug really tied the room together.

User Info Menu

Oh No! I feel terrible if I was the one that let the cat out of the bag. I guess I just assumed that since you were mentioning those plans, that she wasn't reading the board.

So sorry about that! I hope you have a wonderful time in Jamaica and with your honey despite the secret being out!