Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumpolephoreskin's Existential Wanderings in and Around Negril

User Info Menu

Erratta:
    Upon arrival @Xtabi we discovered a doctor bird (National bird of JA) was trapped in our room.
    The fan was running full tilt.
    I was scared to death we were going to wind up with minced hummingbird.
    It was well after dark.
    We turned off all the lights in the room (and the fan) and turned on the light in our outdoor shower.
    The doctor bird took it from there.

The bird survived intact so all the way around this was a great omen for the trip ~ we were greeted by the national bird.
    Last edited by Rum-polephoreskin; 01-23-2012 at 02:07 PM.

User Info Menu

How adorable are you two!!! Just ADORABLE

User Info Menu

This is a doctor bird (not the same one):

Name:  IMG_0810 copy.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  82.8 KB
    That rug really tied the room together.

User Info Menu

Errata:
    The early 19th century philosopher Søren Kierkegaard is widely regarded as the father of existentialism.[8][9] He maintained that the individual is solely responsible for giving his or her own life meaning and for living that life passionately and sincerely,[10][11] in spite of many existential obstacles and distractions including despair, angst, absurdity, alienation, and boredom

I wanted to be clear about the title to my trip report.
    We all go to Negril for different reasons.
    I'm mainly concerned with what makes my trip a meaningful experience for me.
    There are no outside imposed rules or standards the trip has to meet other than the conditions I put on it myself.

Conversely if Gerryg had a good trip that's all that matters.
    He gets to judge his trip based on what his personal expectations were, not wether or not he colored inside the imagined
    lines someone else may have set up.

I mention this because I spoke with several boardies who felt accosted by the expectations of others (on the board). So when my trip report offends someone they will have to deal with their own disappointment, I enjoyed myself and that's why I went in the first place. That (hopefully) explains the existential part of my chosen title.

One Love!

User Info Menu

Patty,
    I hate to say this but we never got around to taking a cave pic.
    I really wanted to but time slipped away (and we stayed at Xtabi).

User Info Menu

I LOVED LOVED LOVED this post!!! I don't get to come to Negril this year (although all of our other travel couples will be there in 4 weeks) but I'm so glad I can still read everyone elses WONDERFUL posts! Thank you Rum and congratulations on follwing your heart

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Rum-polephoreskin;30047]Errata:
    [I]The early 19th century philosopher Søren Kierkegaard is widely regarded as the father of existentialism.[8][9] He maintained that the individual is solely responsible for giving his or her own life meaning and for living that life passionately and sincerely,[10][11] in spite of many existential obstacles and distractions including despair, angst, absurdity, alienation, and boredom

I love the explanation. In a nutshell, I live my life the same way. I call it "doing you". Regardless of what others think do whats best for you and what makes you happy. I did'nt know it had a scientifical name. Existenialism...I like it. Thanks for the details of the word. You are responsible for the happiness in your life. I totally agree!!

User Info Menu

I just wanted to say that I'm enjoying your trip report so far and looking forward to reading more!

That's a Beautiful picture of the two of you
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Mr. Rum...That's deep man...Kierkegaard, nice.
    Gets ya thinking...
    We ALL travel for different reasons, fun, relaxation, healing, introspection,etc.
    But it's a sort of personal thing isn't it ?
    Nice post.
    Oh, and I'll have to agree with Clarity and others...
    Great pic of you and mrs. Peel at Canoe :-)
    Respect, Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rum-polephoreskin View Post
    Patty,
    I hate to say this but we never got around to taking a cave pic.
    I really wanted to but time slipped away (and we stayed at Xtabi).
    I stopped at Xtabi 3 times to see you, and take my cave pic...and I was feeling bad bceuase my pic was too blurry to use and I never met you...Brasi FAIL. LOL. Now, don't get me wrong Rum...but now I don't feel so bad. You're flying from the cage of rational expectation...so I don't hold it against you that you didn't get that pic done even though you STAYED there...I admire you!

And I will adopt your philosophy on future reaches.