Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIU Negril January 27th, 2012 anyone or any info PLEASE. 1st time to Jamaica

User Info Menu

Question RIU Negril January 27th, 2012 anyone or any info PLEASE. 1st time to Jamaica

We are going with 30+ people to Negril and staying at the Riu Negril. Many have been to Jamaica before and just a few to the Negril area years ago. This is our FIRST time ever to Jamaica, spent the last 25 years covering the entire Southern Caribbean and figured now time to try
    a new place.

Riu Negril - first time ever doing the Riu resorts, anyone been here or know of people who have?

Negril - what can you tell me? I want all the MUST things to do and all the MUST NOT things to do. Only thing I know forsure is Rick's Cafe.

Thank goodness I found these boards as we've learned and hired Clive's transportation from the airport to our resort and back again. Thanks to
    the people to posted his website, life savor these boards are

User Info Menu

Wellllll, its funny because we used to go to Ricks but its so overrun with tourists that we tend to avoid it now. YS Falls is nice (rafting down the river is relaxing). I really liked Rose Hall (but that said, my husband thought it was just ok). Enjoyed the Appleton tour especially the tasting at the end. Just a few ideas...

User Info Menu

I've been to several islands and Cancun a bunch of times, too, and you're going to LOVE the RIU Negril. It's a great hotel.

User Info Menu

If you have not been to Rick,s it is a must do while in Negril, it will give you a chance to get to the westend. Another great way to see the westend is the wednesday pub crawl.
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

riu has a good snorkle/sunset cruise to the cliffs(ricks) you have to book it asap,because it fills up fast. when they let you off at ricks go out the front gate,turn right and go to ltu pub for drinks & food (much better than ricks & will save you $$$$) then you can go back to ricks to see the cliff divers. maybe you can charter a boat with that many people,check negril onestop to charter a catamaran(booze cruise). good luck!

User Info Menu

RIU Negril is located at a place called Bloody Bay. It is a ways from the town of Negril and separated from the 7-Mile Beach by a point called Rutland Point. Bloody Bay is arguable one of the best beach locations in all of the Caribbean. Soft sand, shallow water and protected from the wind.

On your list of things "to do"/"don't do" is Rick's Cafe, I'd say that’s something to "don't do". I mean sometimes you have to go there just to say you've been there, but here is my take on Rick's.....It's very Americanized (not that there’s anything wrong with that, but that’s not why you came to Jamaica). The food is not Jamaican, the beer and booze is over priced, the bar tenders will rip you off unless your paying attention, and the divers begging for money get annoying very fast. If you take a bus up there, it's about a 1/2-hour ride and the driver will rocket you up and drive even faster on the way down. This is not the way to see Negril. If you have to go, take the sail boat or, if you are in a group of 30, rent a couple of glass bottom boats and go as a group.

The top of your "to do" list should be just walking the 7 Mile Beach. It's free and something the whole group can do (or just a few in the group). Take a cab (or bus) to Cosmo's for lunch and then walk from there. Stop when tired, have a beer when thirsty, and go as far as you want. It’ll get you off the AI property and get to see what bring the people back year after year.

User Info Menu

You and some of your friends would probably like a day tour outside of Negril to see some of the Jamaican countryside and its people. Two of the most popular tours on the South Coast are:
    Mayfield Falls-SavLaMar;
    YS Falls-Black River-Pelican Beach Bar

Links to reliable tour operators are:
    http://www.rockystaxiandtourservice....excursions.htm
    http://www.clivestransportservicejam...HighlightTour1
    http://chickensmagicbus.com/

As you are already booked with Clives for airport transfers, I would check with him first as he will probably give you a good deal.

Enjoy your stay!

User Info Menu

Negril

While you are there you should take the time to check out the local eating places. All kinds of outlets. Some of the best foods I have eaten anywhere and very reasonably priced. It helps support the locals. CAIO, Hungry Lion, Just Natural, Xtabi on the cliffs......too many to mention along the beach. Next time you may want to forgo the All Inclusives.
    Have a great time in Negril.

Respect

User Info Menu

There's the Wild Thing party boat http://www.wildthingwatersportsnegril.com/

User Info Menu

If you are staying at the Club Hotel you will find it to be a very nice property. You will find if you stay longer than a week that everything there repeats on a schedule. So if you are in for two weeks I would definitely head into Negril on the seven mile and experience the true Negril. Couple of things about the hotel, if you are wanting to use the A la Carte you best get someone up early each day as you have to go stand in line to sign up for a reservation. They were all very good especially the steak house. Although they say that its not needed to tip I still did and got exceptional service from everyone. We used the swim up bar pool as there were less kids and had a lot of fun. We took the snorkeling tour and it was great. They have jerk chicken on the beach almost every day and they usually have some kind of entertainment to accompany it. Hope you have fun.
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]