Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Greetings from new boarder and some questions

User Info Menu

Greetings from new boarder and some questions

Been lurking and loving the posts from all obvious Negril lovers here. The trip reports are great reading, and the information is excellent so thanks to all. First time in Negril was in 1981 as a wide eyed 18 yr old and I was hooked, back then we stayed at Tigress with Papa Lawrence, amd I too remember lining up at the only pay phone outside the Yacht Club with my red stripe & Chicken Lavish takeout hoping to get an overseas operator so my family knew I was still alive. Little did they know the extraordinary time I was having.
    Been back a number of times but did take a 15 yr sabbatical. Rtnd to Negril in 2008, and now happily coming back with my wife in March, (although since it is -47C with wind chill today in the Canadian prairies I wish we were going sooner). My wife has only been once before for a quick week, so hope to be able to show her all the sites of Negril and hopefully run into some of the like minded positive partiers on this board. Enough boring biography!! just wanted to introduce to be respectful so I feel comfortable posting and asking questions.

Now couple questions: love reggae but not a huge dancehall or hip hop fan, any bars known for playing (taped or live) good roots reggae?

I keep seeing comments regarding the cost of taxis from west end being higher @ night, do the route taxis not run or is it just they charge more? What will it cost to get back to Travellers after a late night out on West End?

And Lastly, for now, what is festival- as in the food dish?

Thanks again to all, hope to be enjoying red stripe in a bar near you!

User Info Menu

Lots of bars with reggae.. Canoe for one is a popular place with live bands, Roots bamboo every wednesday, Alfreds, etc. etc.
    Festival = Fried Dough, slightly sweet, really good but not for the waistline..
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I thought Festival was fried breadfruit. No? Fried dough is johnny cakes or sometimes called dumplngs. I think

Even very late at night you should be able to get from west end to anywhere on the beach for 800 j or so (About $10 US). However, taxis can be hared to come by on the west end when it's late. Many will pre-arrange pickup or have the number of a reliable driver they can call when required.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Festival is a slightly sweet cornmeal fried dumpling...

Welcome to the board Rasthai!!!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Festival at mi Yard at 4 a.m. is heavenly ....

Administrator

User Info Menu

lol! Yes it is!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Mmmmmmmmmmmm festival is good at any time!

User Info Menu

yes, festival is dough, fried breadfruit is an entirely different animal. Equally delectable.

do the route taxis not run or is it just they charge more?
    yes, they do run, but not as frequently as daytime; & the route fare doubles - to 200 $J - after about 10:00 PM.

the amount craig123 listed in his post above would be for a private taxi, which you might have to take if it's real late and you don't see many route cabs around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MissBlue View Post
    the amount craig123 listed in his post above would be for a private taxi, which you might have to take if it's real late and you don't see many route cabs around.
    The route taxi ride after 10:00 pm involves two routes each at 200j. That's 400j per person. Total cost for two people would be 800j or about $10 US.