Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Cold Feet!

User Info Menu

Unhappy Getting Cold Feet!

Hello Boardies,
    I thought that I had my stuff together, but I really wanted to do something different on my upcoming vacation to JA this year. I thought I did enough research to decide that I wanted to split my trip, but after reading some reviews. I don't think that Ocho for half of my vacation is worth it, or what I'm looking for.
    I read nothing but negative things about Ocho. Cruise ships days, weather,beaches,etc. I like adventure, partying, exploring going off the beaten path.I've come to realize that I'm not intertested in seeing or doing the same things I do year after year.I don"t want to do anything touristy, even most of the tours I wanted to do I changed my mind about because it is touristy nothing different.
    I crave a different experience this time!
    I read alot of bad thgs about Kingston, but also read alot of good thgs about kingston being the real jamaica just in the city. I read that they have alot of great parties there and there're some beautiful places to visit in the blue mountains, food,etc. I'm going to continue my research before making anymore sound decisions. I do have until May to make a decision.
    I am going to stay half of my vacation in Negril that is for certain, at the Seastar, but I'm desiring somethg more for the first part of my trip. I think I want to spend a couples days in Kingston, but am not sure where to stay, where to party,etc remember I'm going alone and I'm a female, but tough as nails!
    Any suggestions for this mix up lady? Thanks to all for not judging!lol
    Copper
    Live,Stay true to yourself, and Never Compromise for anything

User Info Menu

I went to Kingston (though I wasn't by myself), I would say it reminded me of any metropolis right here in the US. Just keep your wits about you and ask the people at your hotel where you should go and you will be fine.

Did I have a scarey moment there, yes! But hell I have had those here at home as well.
    Happy holiday family time!

User Info Menu

My wife and I like to split our holiday up - in Negril. Half beach and half cliffs. Two totally different vibes. The first week on the beach with all the excitement and energy and the second week on the cliffs to really get in that vacation mode; easy paced and relaxed. Where ever you go, you can't go wrong. You'll be in Jamaica!

User Info Menu

I have done a couple split trips between Treasure Beach and Negril, there isnt much party scene in TB but there are some cool spots to have some fun.
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

My last trip was Seastar Cliffs/Country/Low Budget Cliffs.

I'd recommend a trip out of Negril for a day-or-three...it just changes the vibe...kind of hits the reset button...

http://www.shadescottage.com/

Bigga, the manager, will pick you up and bring you to Shades Cottage in Belmond, about 45 minutes from the West End. There is a REALLY nice beach, as well as Bluefields, nearby. Your meals are done family style.

Just a suggestion. I was there two weeks ago and it was extraordinary experiencing Belmond's small-town feel.

User Info Menu

I can honestly say that we used to go to Ocho Rios but after a single day in Negril we knew we would never go back there. The boats change Ocho in the snap of a finger and I really didn't care for the town after that. We had lots of fun but it definitely is nothing like being in and around Negril.
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

If you're looking to party I say go to Kingston. You will love it, check out Devon House, Port Royal, Emancipation Park, go up to Strawberry Hill and see the magnificent views of Kingston.

You will also experience a different vibe and realize not all Jamaican are beggy beggy.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I truly appreciate the support. I seen a place off the beaten path, but wated to do more research. I believe it's in the blue mountains. A place called Mt. Edge Guest House. It's a treehouse like setting in the mountains. It's looks very nice and different. I would love to visit Devon House, Do the Lime Cay Tour, White Sand Cay Tour, Boston Beach, cofee tour in Blue Mountains, blue lagoon, visit Strawberry hill. Would love to put some of these tours together, but still researching everythg. Any thoughts from whom is familiar with any of this? Thanks Copper
    Live,Stay true to yourself, and Never Compromise for anything

User Info Menu

Check out Jamaica Jewel in Duncan's Bay (www.myjamaicajewel.com).

User Info Menu

I did the hike to the Blue Mountain summit, copper .... It is beautiful and awesome country, very serene. If you're traveling by yourself, you might want to hire a guide to accompany you. I drove from Kingston to Mavis Bank, where I was picked up by the friendly staff from Whitfield Hall. Whitfield Hall is a rustic old lodge ... no electricty, no hot water, big old fireplace, inexpensive .... very memorable. It's more of a hostel ... so you might be sharing a bunk room w/ others ... communal bathroom ... bring your own towel (but sheets are provided). I spent the night there with a group of others ... the staff there are awesome cooks (must arrange that ahead of time)....and will prepare freshly roasted coffee for you that's out-of-this-world good .... the absolute best!!!! They can arrange a guide to hike with you, or can arrange a donkey to carry you to the top We hiked part way up the mtn from Whitfield Hall, then stayed at an even more rustic cabin in Portland Gap the next night (you have to make arrangemts ahead of time with the Forest Dept in Kingston to stay in their cabin in PG). The next day made it to the summit and enjoyed the day hiking back down to Whitfield Hall for another night. I advise bringing all the cash you will need .... things cost, and there's a point where there are no more ATMs and most places don't take credit cards.
    Something else you might consider ..... have you ever SCUBA dived? You could get certified in JA in just a few days, or certified back home and do your open water certification in JA. There's a whole 'nother world down below!!! Port Antonio on Jamaica's east coast has some very nice reefs, and it is beautiful topside there as well......and it's close enough to Boston Beach where you can get the original Boston jerk pork/chicken.....That is a trip in itself!!
    Have spent many a night in Kingston too .... I usually stay at the Hotel Four Seasons. Nice place w/ a pool, secure. I love Kingston, it is a heartbeat of a city .... but I don't prefer to vacation there ... mostly just business when there. But if there happens to be a concert or something special going on ... it's worth a night or two. Just be very careful when you venture out of your hotel complex .... especially after dark.
    Last edited by Kritter; 01-19-2012 at 10:36 AM.