Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice quick - Freaking out over recent Negril Escape review on T.A.

User Info Menu

Has anyone stayed at Mom's place,by the bar-b-bar?We have it booked for couple days in feb.Looks rustic which is fine.Just looking for second opinions. Thanks everybody. Soon come

User Info Menu

Westender is a great property. Their Jamaica shaped pool is quite unique. I met the owner, Dan, years ago... a great guy. His manager runs a great operation. I viewed the new rooms when they were being built. The older rooms are also peaceful & private. This is a great choice if you are looking for an intimate, quiet vacation. If I were doing a West End trip w/ someone special, this would be one of my top picks.

User Info Menu

RockRobster said it best, Take all reviews with a grain of sand and a shot of rum! I stayed at Negril Escape a few years back. I will also be staying there next month. I love the place! I also looked at the Trip Advisor review. My feeling is that these were a bunch of spoiled kids (yes kids. Look at their pics) who would have been better off staying at an AI. Their comments showed they were not very seasoned travelers. Enjoy your stay where ever you stay. Life is short and there's no guarantee you will ever be back again.

User Info Menu

I too read the Negril Escape review and wouldn't put too much stock in it. OTOH, if you're expecting anything near American hotel amenities, you'd be really disappointed. Water pressure was almost non-existent when we were there, but they quickly managed to get it up to enough of a stream that you could comfortably wash. That was good for us, but for someone who wouldn't be happy without an actual spray, it would have been woefully deficient. That's sort of the difference in a nutshell. NE is pretty rough around the edges, but it's a beautiful setting, the people are friendly and it's a close walk to a lot of west end favorites.

I gather the OP has already decided on Westender, which is a place I'd like to try myself. But I wanted to add a few reassuring words about Negril Escape as we did really enjoy our stay there.

User Info Menu

Some people just like to travel to exotic places, meet exotic people and then complain about them. I especially like when they then go on to complain about things that are truely even beyond 1st world problems. The line I like best on TA is when they say "it looks nothing like the pictures"...REALLY! Heck I learned not believe everything I see in advertising when I realized action figures didn't really move on their own like they did in the commercials.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

If you enjoy walking around, Westender is actually a better choice in many ways. There is far, far less traffic out there, so walking along the road is a lot nicer than it is from NE or anywhere on the cliffs east of Rick's.

You can walk to Jackie's on the reef, and if you like a bit of exercise, Out of Town Pastry is just about 3k away. There's been some development in that area, Moondance, Hide Awhile, Tingalaya's there...I think walking in that area is quite nice. If you must explore far, rent a scooter. It's a scooter friendly area out there.

User Info Menu

I appreciate all the feed back . This is the best place for honest opinions and advice. I am sure I would have been happy at N.E. My wife requirements are a bit more than mine. They may have been sufficient and maybe not. Right or wrong I made the decision to change. I know from what I have read here and other places Betty will be happier at Westender.
    Liz I have been thinking about renting a scooter or bicycle and have been doing a bit of research about scooters, bikes, and route taxis out that way, and preparing to ask some questions. I see someone earlier had asked about bicycle rentals so I'll see what responses come from that and go from there.
    Her plans are to kick back, relax, and do some reading. My plans are see where her plans lead us, do some exploring, and play golf. I have a feeling we will get out a couple times together to some places local like Canoe, DeBar, Xtabi, LTU, etc. and at least one day trip to something like Black River, YS, Pelican.
    Thanks for all the help
    Steve
    [http://daisypath.com]

User Info Menu

A bicycle would be great too, it's pretty flat around there. I am SURE you won't be the first Westender guest to want a vehicle of some kind, I'd ask them what other guests do. I'd guess Tyke's is the closest place to get a a scooter. (I've only ever been to the WE on a scooter, I stop in there every time I rent one. I love riding in that area)

If you haven't seen this map, it will show you some of the stuff in the Westender area:

http://www.travelsinjamaica.com/p/ne...verything.html

User Info Menu

Hey LLAP,
    You bringing your own clubs? Also have read that you also want to bring your own balls as they are quite pricey at the course....

User Info Menu

booger, I always bring my own clubs. I roll up my clothes and stuf them around my clubs in my carrier and use that and a carry on as my suitcase. I also bring a dozen balls. What I don't lose I leave with the caddies.
    [http://daisypath.com]