Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wine ?

User Info Menu

wine ?

Wife not much of a drinker and when she dose only likes local (WI) wines, can you take wine into Jamaica? (Wow that dose not sound right taking booze into Jamaica)

User Info Menu

Jimbo..In the past years I've brought two 2qt. pop bottles filled with 1 white & 1 red. I empty two 7up plastic bottles rinsed out & fill them up. they will weight approx. 5lbs. each. The reason I use them is they can't see what's in them cause they're green. I've see way too many people get their liquor taken out of their luggage by security at check-in. I've never had my 7up bottles taken even after they see them & I've flown are airlines going there..so it's not just a particular one. Remember the 50lb weight limit though.

User Info Menu

Have her test drive a Chilean here, most are available there, first I ever had was in Ja in the 90's, pretty good value if you like the taste

A good gift for restaurant friends is a specialtey wine, Copolla is one I've carried, and I've never been asked at customs, hmmmmmm how does that form read
    I have won many awards in a lifetime of competition and service. But the highest was offered without plaque or fanfare on a hilltop in post Ivan Jamaica. A true Rasta and a dear friend observed "Chet you are like a father of men, you see need and fulfill that need without being asked". Let us be travelers and not tourist.

User Info Menu

I've been taking a bottle of scotch to JA for years and have never had TSA take it

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I stop at the duty free on my connecting flight and buy a bottle or two and they have it waiting for me at the gate. I carry it on and put it in my shoulder bag. NEver thought I wouldnt be allowed and never had problem.
    Visit #56 soon come

User Info Menu

I don't drink wine here. There was a time that I would bring my favorite Chardonnay, but luggage space is too dear and I'd rather bring Olive Oil. My friends did carry two beautiful bottles of Champagne down for New Years which I greatly enjoyed.

I don't like the Chilean wines, I can manage some of the Australian and the California wines they carry here are 4x the price they are in California and they suck. So I stick with Rum and Red Stripe Light and when I get back I enjoy a nice cold Pinot Grigio.

User Info Menu

Can someone tell me how to pack it. My biggest fear is that TSA will unpack it to see what it is and then not rewrap it correctly. I would hate to have my luggage soaked in wine due to a broken bottle.We have a direct flight from NY but it is at 6am so I am pretty sure the stores are not open yet at the airport to purchase it. I can drink a few red stripes during the day but am a wine drinker at night. Sorry I just don't like the taste of rum.

User Info Menu

They make special cardboard containers. They're a lot like those cardboard gift containers for wine, and those would probably work too. The wine bottle fits snuggly inside. I wrap the bottle in tissue paper before putting in and then tape the lid down. I have found them in the dollar store. Always bring a bottle of my favorite wine of the moment and haven't had any mishaps - yet.

User Info Menu

I bring liquor every year, but also bring a cooler, I just wrap in bubble wrap. Been doing this for 28 years and they have never unwrapped or taken it away.

User Info Menu

There is plenty of good cheap white wine hear in Negril. Check the one stops and over at Times Square. It's keeping an old wine snob happy in Negril. Ya mon!