Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘Life’s a Beach’ - or - AnD nOw FoR sOmEtHiNg CoMpLeTeLy DiFfErEnT -

User Info Menu

The Cambio is Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Just finished Sunset Negril. I could NOT put it down! Great, great read! Looking forward to your trip report!
    Thank you Brian and Deanna! (your checks are in the mail - just as arranged)
    PGW - would like to meet up with you, mon

Ahhhhhhhhhh

What a difference a night makes! I was feeling a bit uppity when I posted last night. But now I can feel my Negril Groove coming on.

This morning, well rested, I totally organized my room. Then I lathered up with 30SPF and set out on my beach walk. Big smile on my face. Wow – the beach is crowded! No really big changes to report – the sands have shifted, there is now a lot of beach in front of Moon Dance Villas, other years you’d have to walk around the trees to keep your feet dry. Walked all the way up to where the big AIs start at the north end of the beach. There I went for a dip.
    Check out the gecko on the leaf in this photo. . . .

Name:  IMG_1860sm.jpg
Views: 5188
Size:  62.9 KB

Then I walked back to White Sands, donned my swim goggles and nose clip and swam the buoy line there – does anybody know of a good nose clip? I guess I’ll just have to live with sea water in my sinuses. For me, a swim in Mother Ocean first thing in the morning is pure bliss; a coddling realm of bubbles, muted sounds and shifting light. I zone-out when I swim - it’s like a mini return to the womb.

After that I went into town to get some supplies. My God, do I have a large ‘JUST ARRIVED’ sign on my back? By the time I had walked from the route taxi to Value Master, I was asked no less than half a dozen times if I wanted:
    - a taxi (no I just got out of one),
    - if I needed a guide to ‘walk with me’ – when I said no he accused me of having ‘no respect’
    - did I need a taxi,
    - did I want to change money,
    - would I Iike to see a fellow’s store – oranges and bannanas?

- Again – would I like to change money??
    Well, the Cambio was closed. I had intended to change some CAN$ in JMD$. Hmmmm.

“What rate will you give me - for Canadian?” I asked the guy. (yes, I know – I should know better).

“Eighty-five,” he said. That sounded decent, so I said, “OK, change me 100 Canadian – that will be 8500, right?”

“Yah, mon, come over here,” He went behind a bush.

He shuffled a wad of bills and then handed a stack of Nannies to me. While tightly gripping my two 50$ CDN bills, I counted the J$. “That’s only eight thousand,” I said.

“What!? He replied, incredulously. I handed the bills back to him. He counted them rapidly. “So I owe you five hundred?” he said.

“Yes.” I still held onto my bills.
    He slowly pulled another $500 from his back pocket, then grasped my bills. He tugged on my bills and pulled his bills back at the same time saying, “Let me give you some thousands.”

I held fast to my bills and let him take his stack of Nannies back.

“No thanks,” I said. I turned and left. I was followed by a stream of muttered invectives, some of which I’d never heard before.

Went to the Value Master and stocked up; bananas, coconut, papaya, water crackers, cheese, scallions – and a Rock Bun!

Crossed over to the Chinie-Mans and got a flat of 24 Cranberry Wata. All set now.

It’s clear and hot this afternoon. I’m going to the party at Sunnyside and will visit Rob and Lisa (good Canadian girl) at Aqua for sunset.

Lay-tah!
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Hope we cross paths during my stay I move around alot so should not be a problem, just have to find a reasonable room.
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna3 View Post
    For me, a swim in Mother Ocean first thing in the morning is pure bliss; a coddling realm of bubbles, muted sounds and shifting light. I zone-out when I swim - it’s like a mini return to the womb.
    Love that!
    I feel the same way in the ocean

Enjoying your updates
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Roland, I have to tell you, I enjoyed Sunset Negril so much I pulled out Walk Good for a re-read. Honestly, it was very enjoyable. I hope we can meet when I'm down there in three weeks. It would be a pleasure to meet you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by poolguywindsor View Post
    Hope we cross paths during my stay I move around alot so should not be a problem, just have to find a reasonable room.
    PGW - I would like to meet up with you - but I don't know where you got the idea that we should 'find a reasonable room' together. Sorry if I mislead you, but I'm not that kind of guy. We would have to have a couple of drinks to start off with - at least.
    My Books:

User Info Menu

LOL Kahuna!!
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

Ok dont worry only shared a room with a friend once wont happen again , had to read what I posted over twice to make sure I wasnt missing something?lol
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna3 View Post
    PGW - I would like to meet up with you - but I don't know where you got the idea that we should 'find a reasonable room' together. Sorry if I mislead you, but I'm not that kind of guy. We would have to have a couple of drinks to start off with - at least.
    Hahahahahaaaaaha. Man love soon come......

User Info Menu

The Banana Sling

Yesterday afternoon I went up to Sunset Beach bar for my first beer of the day. Again I experienced the Red Stripe phenomenon; the initial sip from that cool, just opened, stubby brown bottle was like the sweet kiss of a chaste first cousin, filled with lurid promises that can never be fulfilled (unless you live in the backwoods of Kentucky or anywhere in Newfoundland.)

I was a little surprised to see Rob and Lisa sitting at the bar because I knew they has a webcast later in the afternoon from Aqua web-cast – it was really good to see them.

Later, I wandered down to Aqua for a beer then for sunset I went to the Sunnyside Bar party. The bar is small and the benches there can only seat – at a maximum – ten patrons if they all have skinny bums and don’t mind cozying-up. There were 41 people crowded around the bar when I counted heads just before the sun set. The occasion was the annual orthodontist office group bash, moved this year from the For Real Bar (I Love’d That Bar :>( ). They hail from somewhere in Wisconsin, I think.

It was a great sunset.

I walked the beach again this morning – it is so astoundingly beautiful – the soft yield of the sand under my feet, the swish of the surf lapping the shore, the sunlight dancing on the surface of the water, the sun on my back, growing hot, the frigates and pelicans gracefully cutting the air overhead, the wide open, deep blue sky. Words cannot describe. I feel truly blessed to be in this place at this time.

I approached Sandals, as I frequently do, with a rising swell of expectations. Maybe today ‘they’ would be there. You know the ones – the beautiful people who inhabit the Sandals brochures and TV commercials – young, happy, smiling, laughing. Running and jumping through the surf in slow motion. Beautiful bodies, hair and beach attire. But alas, yet again, ‘they’ are not there – in their stead, as usual, was a thoroughly mundane company of average looking vacationers sprawled on the lounges. My anticipation quickly yielded to bitter disappointment - then shock.

My eyes, scanning the track before me, settled on the crotch of an older gentleman who was approaching me, walking in the opposite direction. (By now you will know that I am thoroughly ensconced in the heterosexual side of the spectrum – so don’t get any ideas.)

What was it that captured my gaze? A banana sling. Light blue. Hanging loosely on the narrow hips of the old boy. It was startling. I immediately pulled my eyes away, but in the instant that the apparition held my focus, I noted that the conveyance was much too large for its intended cargo. Its contents wobbled and jostled freely about within, like two tomcats fighting in a silk pillowcase. (think C cup on an A sized boob.)

The old gentleman had no business wearing such a contraption. Not that being old, in and of itself, would be a reason not to. But when your body is the human equivalent of a 1986 Ford Taurus from upstate New York with 195,000 hard miles on it . . .

We passed and I exhaled my involuntarily withheld breath.

Why, oh, why did I yield to the temptation to turn around and check his backside? It must have been the same reflex that causes one to stare at a car accident on the highway, or to look at the mutilated carcass of an animal that has been hit by a car.

But yield I did; and I looked. I’ll spare you the hairy details, only because I don’t want to dwell on how little three narrow cords of material can cover something that should always be hidden from sight. (Where does a man’s butt go when his age creeps north of 50?)

Think I’ll rent a motor bike this afternoon.
    Going to the Mighty Diamonds concert tonite at Bourbon Beach.

Life’s a beach,
    Peace – out
    My Books:

User Info Menu

Funny!!! It is Negril, after all....