Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In "Jamaica mode" what is an acceptable amount of waiting time for a great meal?

User Info Menu

We've done the long wait at 3 dives too. Our Jamaican friend that was joining us for dinner said they had to go catch the lobster! Another instance we went to a restaurant I won't mention and had grilled chicken sandwiches. They were really great so we went back the next day to get them again. After waiting 1.5 hours we were served a bun with a chicken nugget looking thing in the middle of the bun. Dissapointing!
    Are you living, or just existing?

User Info Menu

An hour at breakfast time for two cups of coffee and some toast! Only us in there, never went back. However, since read it's closed so no point in worrying!
    Rise early, treat everyday as though it's your last and your last day as it's your first.

User Info Menu

I think any wait over one hour is excessive and would certainly affect my enjoyment of the meal. And, would definitely affect my decision to return to the restaurant, irregardless of how good the food was.
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

2 beer is maximum wait time

User Info Menu

Like other responders, I try to enjoy the view or go swimming, etc. I try to prepare for the fact that it will be a wait.

If you are starving or in a hurry, let them know right away! Say..."I am diabetic and I need something to eat while I wait for my meal to come, what do you have that could be ready right away?" or "I hate to be a pain, but we need to eat right away, what would you suggest?" The problem is when you are not prepared and you are hungry and wait and wait. I just keep on trying to remember, they are making the food from scratch...this is not a fast food place, that is why I am there!! Generally speaking, on vacation, people actually aren't in a hurry anyways. We have just gotten used to getting food slapped down in front of us in 10-15 minutes. I live in Canada but I have gone to quite alot of u.s. restaurants and diners and I don't know how they get all that food out there so quickly....it's uncanny. Food takes time.

User Info Menu

N. American restaurants tend to have everything prepped & refrigerated ahead of time (like all seasonings & veggies chopped up, or pasta pre cooked aldente & then just dunked in hot water or veal, chicken or eggplant parm already breaded & fried & just needs to be layered with sauce & cheese & stuck in the oven)....also, saute dishes are quite quick to do. Many "stewed" Jamaican dishes are made from scratch from chopping the seasonings to actually "stewing" the meat....it WILL take awhile. Many Jamaicans don't use a chopping board either which cuts the "chopping" time way down. I don't think they're used to moving efficiently in the kitchen much, evidenced in the "wait" time.

User Info Menu

Hi Gerryg....I believe it was the special cake that did her in that night, I'm not sure, but that lobster plate of hers did get a lot of attention from some hungry folks.

User Info Menu

that's odd.........special cake usually has the opposite effect......it has the same effect on the human body as smoking it, it is a nausea reducer..............mushrooms I can attest to, most will get things "coming up" if too much is ingested at once...................but hey

sounds like a lot of things were going in "der".
    Last edited by Rambo; 05-27-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by themermaid View Post
    I also found it odd that snacks were so hard to order, everything was a full meal or nothing.
    I've never had a problem just getting a bowl of soup at Xtabi.
    "Let the beauty we love be what we do"~Rumi