Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Large' CLEAN THE RIVER Protest Rally on the Bridge Today

User Info Menu

Where will the money come from for this, and who is brave enough to halt development? 25% of the gross national income of Jamaica comes not from Bauxite, or Sugar, but from the little town of Negril.

User Info Menu

They were protesting because the fisheries isn't doing anything about keeping the river from being blocked up by sand right at the pier/breakwater. When that happens, the fishermen are fearful to go out because they don't know if they'll be able to get back IN. When they can't go out, they can't make money. Too often, you can actually walk right across the river because it's so shallow. This is especially a problem after weather comes in.

User Info Menu

Un-science supported personal observation,,, years ago we would remark that the bridge north of the Riu's only seemed to have water in the channel under it as an overflow from the Morass during rainy times, now it seems to be a fairly wide open channel at all times, there is a boat ramp like drive on the Morass side that I have seen them launch the Para Sail boat on, it would seem to my mind that the Negril River which was the dominate outlet for water from the Morass allowing it to flush into the sea and maintain an open channel now has equal outlet to the north lessening the rivers flow and cleaning process at a time that man is placing more burden on the system, even Royal Palms water level seems below what it was 10 or 12 years ago,,,,, like I say no million dollar study just observations over a lot of years and in differant seasons
    I have won many awards in a lifetime of competition and service. But the highest was offered without plaque or fanfare on a hilltop in post Ivan Jamaica. A true Rasta and a dear friend observed "Chet you are like a father of men, you see need and fulfill that need without being asked". Let us be travelers and not tourist.