Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When do you become not a Newbie?

User Info Menu

Cool When do you become not a Newbie?

So Feb 24 will be the start of my 3rd year in a row trip to Negril. I realize that i have not seen even a tenth of what negril has to offer yet, but i am working on it. So the question is when should i consider myself not a newbie anymore? I am still just as excited as i was the first time i visited! I hope that never changes!!! Soon come!

User Info Menu

I have thought about this, too. I think a person is still a newbie until they have accomplished at least 4 of the following:

1. Figure out how to stay longer then 12-13 days at a clip...
    2. Have lost count of their trips...
    3. Driven a car in Jamaica...
    4. Left Negril proper and seen some of the countryside...
    5. Eaten something else other than jerk chicken
    6. Buys Qs and Pepsi at a bar
    7. Knows where Red Ground and Whitehall are
    8. ????

Just kidding btw. Who knows what makes someone "not a Newbie?"

I am on my 8th trip to Negril, 9th to the rock. I am still a NEWBIE for sure. The more I think I know the less I find out I really know.

Each step forward makes my actions on my last trips---on those trips I was assuming I knew the drill---look more and more idiotic. haha.

The fun is in the trying.

User Info Menu

A cab driver once told me after 7 trips you are no longer coming back to visit, you are coming back home!
    I liked that, so now I always say I am going home!

User Info Menu

Easy answer: You're no longer a newbie once you figure out the value of route taxis .....

User Info Menu

"6. Buys Qs and Pepsi at a bar"
    That's called a "set up". I learned that last year, after 29 years of coming to this place

User Info Menu

I can tell you from experience leaving negril proper is a great adventure. I met a friend who lives in lucy and went to his house and he cooked us a fresh tuna that was a great experience. Now we talk all the time and plan on him showing us more this year it helps that he owns a car.

User Info Menu

A "set up" huh? I just asked for a Q...saw a dude do it a couple times in April...and read about it here, maybe in one of your posts Rasta!

Again...I probably did it wrong...but the result was great. LOL

$400 J at a place I went in Hermitage and I bet I overpaid. (It's a half a fifth of rum--6 shots), and a 16 oz bottle of Pepsi, with as many cups and ice as ya need, made maybe about 5-6 drinks).

Also:
    When Jamaican guys ask me to buy them a drink now, I say "I don't buy drinks for guys. Unless you have a poom poom."

Works like a charm, with varying degrees of blow-back LOL. I used to 1 spend tons time saying no, or 2. break down and buy one and then spend ALL NIGHT saying no. The poom poom deal? They get away from me. haha

I think I learned that one from "John Wayne" @ Seastar.
    Last edited by brasi; 02-06-2012 at 01:43 PM.

User Info Menu

when your shoes that you bring are one, no longer new, and two, no longer white...
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Our friends/family in Jamaica say that we know more about the country then they do. Some of the locals don't go far from where they grow up.
    And the Jamaican's that live here say we are more Jamaican then they are.
    So after 25 yrs we don't consider ourselves newbies anymore.
    Jamaica here we come "Tomorrow".

Cheers.

User Info Menu

When you can confidently hop in a route taxi and head to Sav or Lucea and not worry about getting back.

Regards,

Bob