Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some reassurance, PLEASE!

User Info Menu

Need some reassurance, PLEASE!

I am traveling to Negril for the first time this coming weekend and am staying at the Negril Beach Club Resort (NOT the Condos!) and have been reading many negative posts about break-ins and bad rooms with faulty locks. I am bringing my 10 year old daughter. It will be just us. I am beyond freaking out and ready to cancel my reservation. Can someone please let me know we will be safe?!?! What should I know ahead of time to prepare to stay at this resort? Can I even trust the staff?? I am not planning on bringing anything of value besides my camera and phone, but the thought of waking up to an intruder inside my room is really scary. Any advice, reassurance, past pleasant stories will be greatly appreciated!

User Info Menu

You will be safe, but as in any new place for you...familiarize yourself with your surroundings...where there are tourists...there are opportunists...use precaution. Lock your doors, check that your safe is locked, etc.

One of the guys that is associated with the hotel is Judge. He's a friend of mine. He knows me by Alex, we hang out when I am in town...we last saw each other in January. He is in the security/cab crew. Say hello to him and introduce him to your daughter...do the same with the security guy on the beach. That way, they will look out for her.

Let the beach guy know you don't want any vendors near your daughter. They mean no harm but this will let you relax!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are going to have a great time. Don't worry too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great location and beach! Great staff! PEFRECT food at Linga's, the on-site restaurant. Have a blast!

PS: A MUST: call and confirm your reservation...twice...always a good idea.
    Last edited by brasi; 02-16-2012 at 11:14 AM.

User Info Menu

I have been personal friends with the management of the property for many, many years. This is a very safe place to stay for nearly everyone who goes there. You might notice that a few of the people with the problems were over-trusting tourists who brought locals and the local's friends into their room to cook and party. This, in my opinion, is a big no-no and you get reap what you sow when you are acting irresponsibly.

It is always a good idea to check out all the windows and doors wherever you stay including the vaunted AIs and go to Jean if you have any concerns. A few minutes surveying and evaluating your surroundings WHEREEVER you travel are a few minutes well spent (again, in my opinion).

Relax and have a great trip just like 99.9% of those who go to Jamaica do. Don't let fear keep you from enjoying yourself.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

you should be safe no need to worry,jus like home you have to take the same precautions ..its negril..its jamaica----NO PROBLEM ..SMILES

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips brasi. I will make sure and familiarize myself with the staff. I will also make sure and double confirm my booking as I have heard from several people the hotel is almost always overbooked. My only hope is that because I have an early flight I will arrive in time to get my room before they are all scooped up!

User Info Menu

Also: when you call to confirm...TWICE...LOL...let 'em know you're on it...you can ask for Trudy. I am pretty sure she still works there. Awesome lady. A boardie here told me about her...she truly does a great job...really nice and I like her a lot.

Accompong is right...Jamaica is no more dangerous than anywhere....I hope I didn't imply that at all.

Last tips:

When asked where are you staying?
    Up the road, on the cliffs, at my friends...anywhere but where you are ACTUALLY staying.

First time here?
    No, I am here a lot. I have been here for two weeks. Etc. Not "i just got here."

When do you leave?
    I am leaving in a few weeks, ten years, etc anytime but when you are ACTUALLY are leaving, and the further out the better.

Do you want a toy/ticket/ride/towel/etc?
    No thanks. Not 'later' or 'maybe.' Unless you want the item. You can always go back and say you want it.

Have a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are virtually neighbors. You flying out of Albany?
    Last edited by brasi; 02-16-2012 at 11:59 AM.

User Info Menu

You will be safe. Brasi gave you great advice just follow his tips and you will be fine. Have a great trip

User Info Menu

I'm sure you will be totally fine and have a fantastic vacation. However, I know how once you get something in your mind, it's hard to let go. If you don't think you'll be able to sleep at night thinking someone is going to come in, here is a simple thing you can do. Bring a small set of windchimes (I'm talking those small cheap ones you can get at the drug store) and hang them on the doorknob. If the door moves, you'll wake up to the windchimes. If there is a sliding glass door you're worried about, bring a suction cup and hang some windchimes on the slider with the suction cup. If the door slides open, you'll hear the chimes. I doubt you'll need it but if it will make you sleep better at night, what do you have to lose right.

User Info Menu

Honeywell makes a set of audible alarms that work well for about $10.00 for a box of 4. (You will just have to remember to turn them off before the staff cmes in to clean.) Not sure if you have a store called Big Lots, of possibly a Walgreens. They work very well, and will give you added comfort during your stay. I use them every year, but don't really need them. OCD...They are easy to put up, and take down.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

User Info Menu

Jean is not affiliated with Negril Beach Club RESORT.Just remember to put the wood in the sliding glass door when you are not in the room.I always take a rubber door stop and put in the entry door at night.You will be fine enjoy.You should worry about overbooking more than security until you are in your room.