Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather...

User Info Menu

With only a 4 hour flight and two airport options b works better for me, but after six trips last year and air fares as low as $300 return inc tax it was all good. This year I am yet to find any deals on air, at least $600 return, it was my excuse to go again how can you pass on the air deal?

User Info Menu

For me and my family, we look forward go going once / year and staying longer than 2 weeks if possible. Going during the festive season affords different perspectives on Negril. Between Christmas and New Years it's not that busy compared to later in January or February, and lets us wind down quicker. Calming down from the hustle and bustle of the city literally takes about 3 - 4 days before you realize you're walking slower, listening clearer, and actually feel for real the ambiance that everyone calls "the vibe".

As December transitions into January, the vibe changes slightly and it's a neat thing to experience. We usually stay 15 - 17 days and the kids only mis a minimum amount of school. We spend most of our time visiting different areas of the island, taking day trips all over looking for new things that we have not seen before. It's been like that for 17 years and there's always something new each year. Going for 1 week is not enough and doesn't provide the extended down time that we crave.

If I were you, I'd experiment with length of time, you'll find what's comfortable for you and your lifestyle, then you'll settle for that happy medium, and get even more addicted. Remember, a trip to Negril, no matter how long or short beats not going at all.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

We will take A also.. 2 weeks out of here .. and spending it there.. doesn't get any better. We split, AI/non.

User Info Menu

With the price of airfare once a year is all we can go. The first year it was one week. We had weddings and a graduation the next year,so had to skip that one. The next year was two weeks. The next year was three weeks. A week in Negril, Port Antonio, then Treasure Beach. Three weeks is too long for me. I missed my home. Two weeks is just right for us. Long enough to get really relaxed, but not missing home. But if we COULD, it would be TWO weeks TWICE a year!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oct-Nov 2010 Jamaica 25th Anniversary 049.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	1492
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool

User Info Menu

I always choose A, always did for all the years I've been going. Here's why:
    1. Airfare expense: Even though I travel on miles and there are some years where I might have enough miles to do two trips - the costs add up. If I were to pay for two or more trips to JA each year at around $600 r/t from San Francisco that really eats into the "enjoyment" budget. Rather have that extra dough in my pocket to spend there.
    2. Travel time: Coming from Northern California my trip is at least 12 hours door to door each way. That slices two whole days off my vacation. With two trips that's four days of travel. Exhausting and less time to enjoy. Not to mention "acclimation" time - it usually takes me 2-3 days to get in the groove. Plus time on airplanes - I spend LOTS of time on airplanes and in hotels throughout the year - coming home is a highlight. In this month alone I will have crossed the country by air 4 times.
    3. Work! My work is seasonal so even if I were to try to "sneak" in another trip it would be short and almost not worth it. Now there have been years where I have done that - a 9 day trip in April one year for a wedding - a 1 week trip in February (just three weeks after I'd returned) for a festival. Had a great time no doubt but the nature of my work really cramps my style that way. So I choose to go when work is somewhat slow and that is once a year.
    4. Because I choose to go when work is slow and because I have the ability there to keep up on what is going on with work from Jamaica I go each year for three months. This way I am really able to immerse myself in the relaxation mode, clear my brain and most importantly for me "live" there for that period of time with my friends and community there. It makes my vacation more of a marathon than a sprint so I return to the states clear, relaxed and rejuvenated. I don't have to wait a year - my trips each year are only 9 months apart. To some that may seem like an eternity but not to me.
    5. If I am able to squeeze another vacation into my year (during the summer usually) I try to go somewhere different - even if just a music festival. For two years I went to Paris, this year possibly Israel.
    6. Most importantly - my reality, while stressful and very busy at times, does not suck. I live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet that is always wonderful to return to. I love the work I do. I don't really even need to escape the weather though sometimes somewhat cold and dreary (this morning we have that magnificent NoCal fog hugging us). I treasure and look forward to my Jamaica soujourn every year but I don't LIVE for it...it's part of my cycle and I'm very content with that cycle.

User Info Menu

I can't really get the fix I need in one week, and it never is actually a whole 7 days anyways. I would say that 10 days and 10 days would be the best I could do. Last year we did 2 weeks, plus 2 days and it was super. If you can, add to that 2 weeks an extra day because then you actually have the full 2 weeks, not 12 with two days travelling back and forth to airports.
    I would think that if I could go 3x a year, I might be able to keep the vibe so that one week at a time would be enough.
    I need days and days of nothing and then I get my second breath and like to explore - in one week that doesn't happen. Clearly, if you are staying at a resort and mostly go back and forth from the beach to the bar, one week might suffice!!

I have only gone on a one week vacation once and that was 20 years ago - to Antigua. It was pretty low key but my hair will still wet from the pool when I was walking across the tarmac to get on the plane and I was crying....not a pretty sight!

User Info Menu

Right away I chose B. I hate the 1yr wait!! The truth is with 2 children (9&10) I really can't do either A or B without guilt, lol Someday I will bring them...that will have to be a 2 trip year I really think it depends on your situation. It's a 4hr, always direct, flight for me. There are always great seat sales. I paid $335r/t this year! Taking that into consideration, with the freedom to do it, it's 2 trips for sure.

The first year I went we stayed for 10 days. That was 2000, I was pregnant with child #1. It was amazing. Since then it's been 8 days, 7 nights. Even had to skip a couple years, not in a row though, lol! I'm satisfied with 1 week...because I have to be

User Info Menu

I'd much rather do two trips.

And we have way too many cats (had a feral female who filled our property before we could get a handle on the situation), so we can't really take more than a week or so at a time anyway. But even if that weren't an issue, I'd rather have two things to look forward to in a year.

User Info Menu

My perspective

If you go for one week at a time, twice a year you have lost four days traveling. A one time trip for 2 weeks you have only lost two travel days.

User Info Menu

OK, Clarity, we can we relate because I am in love with Negril but live on the West Coast, too.

Sometimes, seven days seems too short, but almost every time there is a part of me that needs to get back to my real life as soon as possible. Having a lap top helps, but those responsibilities back home do tug on you .....

Also, the hagglers kind of drive me crazy after a week, though that might change this time because most of my time will be at the Cliffs.

Half the fun is doing all the research and anticipating everything -- as you well know -- and, as we're seeing here, it's also fun to look back and stay in touch with this board. Two trips, more to anticipate, more to talk about.

I'm doing nine nights this time, an all-time record, and I think it will be just enough. In the past, I've done as little as five nights, and it's always been worth it.