Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going out to Jackie's?

User Info Menu

Going out to Jackie's?

So I'm planning on taking my mom for a day trip out to Jackie's on the Reef for a massage one day while we are there. We are staying at Caribbean Delight on the beach and I was thinking-based on the suggestions of the board- to perhaps stop at Out of Town pastry on the way for breakfast and perhaps Bentley's on the way back for lunch or dinner depending on what time we are done out there. I have a couple of questions on the best way of doing this.

Firstly, how much is a fair price for a taxi to get there, and should we just get the same driver to come and pick us up again, or have Jackies call one for us when we are done? Also, if we do make a stop for breakfast, should that be included in the fare or should I just tip extra...I tip pretty generously anyways but what would be sufficient? We would offer for him to come eat with us, as we have done with cabbies in other places we have been, I'm assuming this is normal? Or is Out of Town a place to grab something and eat in the cab on the way?

And some Bentley's questions...is it ok to call him the day of to make reservations? And I have read about him needing payment in advance so if this is the case then is it out of the way to make a stop there on our way to Jackie's to drop off money? Or is there a better way to do that? After Bentley's I imagine we will just take a route taxi down to the beach to get home again, I wasn't planning on doing route taxis initially but I think my frugality will override any concerns I had about that!

Thanks in advance for your help!

User Info Menu

What a sweet daughter - Jackies is amazing and you will both LOVE it and make a memory that will last forever. Route taxi will charge you $300J to go out there since its just past the end of the regular route. The will not mind stopping at Out of Town (but if there are other riders I would ask if they mind). I usually offer to buy the driver a juice for their kindness. You can eat the patties there or take with but I am always careful not to eat patties in taxi because they make a delicious mess of flakes. Jackie's had wonderful natural juices so you can take them with you. Tipping is always welcome and anything is appreciated so you are good on that it sounds like. I would call Jackie and see about a ride back, they can probably arrange for you. Enjoy your reach

Never been to Bentley's so others can help with that.
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

You can call Bentley's first thing in the morning and make all your reservations. If you call Bentley's later in the day for that evening, he can normally only give you the crabcakes, which are delicious! You take a chance on him already being booked as well and it isn't a big place. He's a great guy and will do what he has to do to work with you. Just give him a call and let him know what you are thinking. You won't regret it. If it's just the two of you and you don't want anything different than he normally has on hand to serve, it shouldn't be a big issue.

User Info Menu

Taxi: remember...red plate. Make the deal before going, and be clear about the trip details...I'd suggest keeping the same guy round trip. Tell him about all your stops. If he's yours for a couple hours, driving you wayyy out to the deep West End...and back...with a couple stops...and you are buying breakfast...two people...shoot for $30+/-, plus a tip....sounds fair for a private, safe ride and a few hours time max.

I'd drive you for that. LOL. You COULD get a route taxi for a lot less....I'm not condoning it. Just sayin'. It's possible...so...remember that when negotiating.

Bentley's is on Peewee Lane (local name). It's not far up on One Love Drive (West End Road). Your driver will know.

I agree with dbrook, you can arrange with Bentley day-of. But If I were you, I'd try to call the day before and set it up...you're more likely to get exactly what you want....menu-wise.

BTW: his grilled lobster, curry goat and crab cakes ALL rock. Don't forget to ask for what you want to drink with dinner when you call.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
    What a sweet daughter - Jackies is amazing and you will both LOVE it and make a memory that will last forever. Route taxi will charge you $300J to go out there since its just past the end of the regular route. The will not mind stopping at Out of Town (but if there are other riders I would ask if they mind). I usually offer to buy the driver a juice for their kindness. You can eat the patties there or take with but I am always careful not to eat patties in taxi because they make a delicious mess of flakes. Jackie's had wonderful natural juices so you can take them with you. Tipping is always welcome and anything is appreciated so you are good on that it sounds like. I would call Jackie and see about a ride back, they can probably arrange for you. Enjoy your reach

Never been to Bentley's so others can help with that.

Thanks Sweetness,
    I'm down with the route taxi idea, not sure if my mom is though, I'll have to see when we get there what she is comfortable with I guess, I haven't explained the taxi thing to her yet. I hate eating in cars anyway so will probably hire a driver so he doesn't mind stopping for a few minutes. I will definitely call Jackie's and see if they provide a ride back, never thought of that, thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dbrook View Post
    You can call Bentley's first thing in the morning and make all your reservations. If you call Bentley's later in the day for that evening, he can normally only give you the crabcakes, which are delicious! You take a chance on him already being booked as well and it isn't a big place. He's a great guy and will do what he has to do to work with you. Just give him a call and let him know what you are thinking. You won't regret it. If it's just the two of you and you don't want anything different than he normally has on hand to serve, it shouldn't be a big issue.
    Thanks dbrook, yes Bentley sounds like a pleasure to deal with from all I've read on this board, now I just have to decide what it is we want to eat with all the wonderful options he has, might have to go there twice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brasi View Post
    Taxi: remember...red plate. Make the deal before going, and be clear about the trip details...I'd suggest keeping the same guy round trip. Tell him about all your stops. If he's yours for a couple hours, driving you wayyy out to the deep West End...and back...with a couple stops...and you are buying breakfast...two people...shoot for $30+/-, plus a tip....sounds fair for a private, safe ride and a few hours time max.

I'd drive you for that. LOL. You COULD get a route taxi for a lot less....I'm not condoning it. Just sayin'. It's possible...so...remember that when negotiating.

Bentley's is on Peewee Lane (local name). It's not far up on One Love Drive (West End Road). Your driver will know.

I agree with dbrook, you can arrange with Bentley day-of. But If I were you, I'd try to call the day before and set it up...you're more likely to get exactly what you want....menu-wise.

BTW: his grilled lobster, curry goat and crab cakes ALL rock. Don't forget to ask for what you want to drink with dinner when you call.

Thanks Brasi! If I did hire a driver for $30+, would he wait for us at Jackie's for that price, or just arrange a time to pick us up? Because I'm not really sure how long we will be out there but probably at least 2-4 hours. Seems like a very fair price either way. I've been craving curry goat like crazy...can't wait.

User Info Menu

In the past when I have gone to Jackies, I have hired a driver to drop me off and then I just called him about 30 min before I wanted to get picked up. I usually pay $25 if I remember correctly and then used him to make a few other stops on the ride back. I could be wrong, but I did not think the route taxis went that far out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
    Route taxi will charge you $300J to go out there since its just past the end of the regular route.
    Most will take you that far as I mentioned for additional fare but as always let them know when you get in where you are going and the price. This is what they charged me to go to Westender next door to Jackie's. Out of Town Pastry where the road splits is the end of the normal West End route. Maybe some boardies can share some of their favorite charter taxi drivers for you - $30 seems high to me but for TWO maybe not if they wait, come back or make extra stops. Just my two cents.......
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I am hoping that we'll find a good taxi driver pretty soon after we arrive, that we can just call when we need, but I'm also kind of interested in the route taxis. I guess I'll just play it by ear, but I love having all the information I can get beforehand, it will definitely help.