Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Negril Gym

Sponsor

User Info Menu

You can pay $25pp for a day at the gym/spa at Swept Away.Lap pool,spin classes,full weight room,tennis,hot tub,smoothies,beer. Do a workout then hang by the pool/hot tub.

User Info Menu

The Negril Gym is basic but has what you need. I've been working out there since the 80's since I'm one of those crazy people who exercise on vacation. (Would you stop brushing your teeth just because you're on vacation? It's all part of maintaining your health.) As you're learning, it's a lifestyle, not just something you do to achieve a temporary goal. I'd have to dig around for a truly accurate price (my membership is included in my timeshare maintenance fees) but I believe it's something like $60 a month, if you choose a monthly membership. Other than me, when I'm in Negril, there are several local women who are regulars. They open at 6 a.m. Mon - Sat, 10 a.m. on Sunday.

The new gym will be on Sheffield Rd. One of the gym regulars told me about it in a conversation we had at the gym last month. It is quite pricey & I don't know if it will offer short term use. As of last month, it had not yet been built/opened. It'll be along the lines of Anytime Fitness, if you're familiar w/ them.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I won't be online again until later today since I'm volunteering as a chaperone for my former students' 8th grade field trip today. I'm up early to put in some time on my treadmill before I head out to catch my ride.

User Info Menu

I know how you feel about the OJ. That used to be my favorite drink....I could consume a gallon at a time, lol. Full of sugar

I get my fix now by eating an orange a day.

User Info Menu

The gym is now open just past the gas station on the road towards Sav. There is a new little shoppping mall where it's located. They do have rates for visitors. Ask for Tiffani.
    If your dream doesn't include the "impossible", it's too small - Joel Osteen

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update on the new gym. It was a month ago when I was told it was still under construction. I hear it's going to be quite "state of the art"... dietician, personal trainers on site (also have one at the Negril Gym). Any idea on the rate?

User Info Menu

tfw...I think you are talking about HIIT, or High Intensity Interval Training....works great, can do it quick, but it IS a bbuster....also known as "burst" training.....I'm out of shape, always trying to get in "some" exercise is, and thought that would be perfect for me...get it done in 10-20 min...every other day.....but man is it hard

User Info Menu

You guys are wonderful. Went to bed feeling worried about this and now I am at ease. Looks like I have several great options and the prices are super affordable - especially compared to what I pay a personal trainer (not that its not worth every penny to kick my arse lol). YEAH

Yvonne, Fred and JaMiss - your info is invaluable. I can now have a great trip and keep up with my program.

Boardies ROCK!!!!!!!
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Glad to help out. I wish you the best w/ your fitness routine. Many years ago I used to hate to sweat so avoided working out. Once I did start working out, the results I got - physically, mentally - got me over that! I look forward to my daily workouts now. BTW... regular exercise is what keeps off the 50+ pounds I lost years ago.

User Info Menu

tfw & sweetness-not sure its available in Negril but in US Tropicana makes OJ low sugar called "Trop50. 50 calories 10g sugar for 8 ounces. I do weight watchers and was missing my morning OJ. It's only 1 point!

Yvonne- funny I always hated to sweat too. Now find the exercise has become a way of life. I am probably fitter @ 60ish than I was at 40. And feel better too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lisapat View Post
    tfw...I think you are talking about HIIT, or High Intensity Interval Training....works great, can do it quick, but it IS a bbuster....also known as "burst" training.....I'm out of shape, always trying to get in "some" exercise is, and thought that would be perfect for me...get it done in 10-20 min...every other day.....but man is it hard
    I can't remember the name, so that is probably it! I have also done it and it is rough. I like that I can give it everything for twenty seconds...and then rest lol!