Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going to the airport - your preferred method of travel

User Info Menu

We stay at a hotel the night before departure and also on our return. It extends the vacation and it's so much nicer to get on the road after a good night's sleep.
    We keep an adult beverage in the trunk of our car in case we get in late and the bar is closed. Planning is everything.
    dorisw

2017 was our 15th trip to Negril. Other islands we visited: Cozumel, Mexico (4 times) St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Aruba, Harbour Island, Bahamas, Anguilla, St. Maarten/St.Martin, Ambergris Caye, Belize (twice)

User Info Menu

I park and fly from Sioux Falls, SD, then from there fly to Minneapolis where we spend the night and do some shopping (both coming and going), and then get up VERY early (3 a.m.), and take the shuttle to the airport for, typically, a 6 a.m. flight. Usually in MoBay by 2 p.m. The motel we stay at by the Mall of America has a free shuttle that leaves every hour to/from the airport, so that works out great.
    Last edited by Maryann; 03-04-2012 at 07:05 PM.

User Info Menu

3 1/2 from STL, 4 1/2 from ORD, We have done it all, including the leave Burl at 6:00 p.m. fight storms to park and fly at 2:00 a.m. and hit airport at 4:00 a.m. (you notice I didn't call it Park - Sleepp & Fly.

Here is a video from early 2000's where we took limo to and from Midway, a limo company owed me some bucks and I took it in trade, 4 1/2 hours, l.o.l. you can see a marked difference in going and coming

http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.as...784&CID=179643
    I have won many awards in a lifetime of competition and service. But the highest was offered without plaque or fanfare on a hilltop in post Ivan Jamaica. A true Rasta and a dear friend observed "Chet you are like a father of men, you see need and fulfill that need without being asked". Let us be travelers and not tourist.

User Info Menu

For us, we have a very small airport in town that is about 15 minutes away from our home. There are options in bigger cities (nearest probably 2-3 hours away) but generally, if we consider the drive, gas, hotel, dinner...it comes out better if we fly out of our home town airport. Quite frankly, considering the state we live in, I feel lucky. Our connection times are really great. We can leave here at 7am and generally be in Mobay by 1-2pm. Only one stop in Charlotte, NC. We generally drive ourselves and then have one of our kids come up to pick up our car the next day. When staying 3 weeks or so, the fees add up quickly.

Then, the kids generally drive the car back up and park it....or just come and get us. For us....I don't feel the vacation begins until I am checked in......then, I am in Vacation Mode!!!! From then on out, I am in a state of bliss!!! I learned a long time ago, that once I step onto the plane...I have to leave all my troubles behind. There is nothing I can do when I am in Jamaica......except enjoy. If by chance something big comes up.......we can get back and deal with it. SO for now, I just have to wait for out next trip. Seems so very far away, but one thing I have realized is that the older I get....the quicker time goes by. So, hopefully, soon come!!

User Info Menu

Family gets up super early to drive us to the bus station, 3:00am. Then we take the bus to O'Hare to catch a 6:00am flight. Usually one connecting flight then we're in JA.

User Info Menu

mmmm, we catch a little airoplane (20 seater) to leave our Island, fly for 45 mins to either Glasgow or Edinburgh, then hop a jet for an hour to London, overnight in hotel, then 10 hours to Mobay. Total time from home to Negril, normally 26/28 hours. Worth every bloody minute.
    Rise early, treat everyday as though it's your last and your last day as it's your first.

User Info Menu

I've done the shuttle, Long Term parking AND when I'm really rushing to get there (I'm late for everything) I have even had to suck it up and pay the outrageous daily parking fee to park in the lot right across from the terminal...yikes! I am always rushed and frantic the morning of a flight. Always double checking I have everything, and triple checking for passport, makeup bag...you know, the 2 most important things! Once I get to the gate and see they have not boarded yet...then I can relax! whew!

Wherever I live, I make sure it is within a 20 minute drive to an International Airport...I have my priorities
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    we drive to Chicago the day before, check into Hotel,have nice dinner...take free shuttle to OHare.......
    (car is parked at Hotel for 1 to 2 weeks for free)....call Hotel upon arrival, the pick us up, drive to to Hotel Parking lot...and 2 hrs later were home........
    sleep
    If this was an option for me (out of NYC) I'd do it! But the last few times has been I drive down to NYC, (75 min), leave my car in the neighborhood by in-laws house & cab to airport. RT cab still cheaper than Long Term Parking - and it saves me the whole struggle with luggage thing.

Last edited by SweetSue; 03-16-2012 at 04:43 AM.

User Info Menu

For us, it depends on what time the flight to JA departs. When it is earlier than 7am, we remove all stress by staying at the Renaissance Hotel(pretty posh, in a Phillipe Starck way) the night before for $109 for a king suite, which includes parking for the whole time we are away! We just wake and roll to the lobby where the 24/7 hotel shuttle whisks us the 90 seconds across the interstate to the East Terminal. When we return, I call them before getting to Immigration/Customs and the shuttle is there waiting for us...

When the flight departs later than 7am, we generally just drive ourselves to a certain pay lot that is literally a stone's throw from the airport. We get the aviator parking rate, which is about 1/2 price. The only bad news about this lot is, if you park in the lower section and are gone for more than a couple of days, the grime from the interstate settles on your car creating.....ick...
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

I get up around 3:00 a.m. and drive half hour to bus stop. Get on the bus to the airport (1 1/2 hours). Get on plane, usually a brief stop in ATL and on to Montego Bay (4 1/2 hours of flight) Get out to the bus lot and another 1 1/2 hours to Negril. I'm wiped out by the time I get there, running on pure adrenaline and love.