Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going to the airport - your preferred method of travel

User Info Menu

I have family take us to/from the Philly airport which is about a hour or so drive. We may use log term parking next time though. We haven't decided yet.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

I also have traveled to the airport various ways. I've done the Super Shuttle, regular Taxi Service, Private Sedan driver service, Road with my girls and did long-term economy parking.

This year I was going to get my son to drop me off and keep my truck but his license is suspended so I will probably get my friend or my sis to do it.
    http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Few years back there was a boardie by the name Calikent. Any chance you are one and the same???

My journey back usually begins when I press the button, between that moment and touch down at Sangster it is just a blur....

User Info Menu

I agree- it all begins with the "trip to the airport" of which I have reserved towncar for my 2 am pick up...I'm all packed and ready to go....
    Deanna (aka DeeDee from NY)

User Info Menu

Only way I go is car service to JFK . I leave my house at 2:45 AM, and 9 hours later I am at my hotel in Negril.

User Info Menu

I don't feel like my trip has begun until I am in the air headed for JA on a direct flight. At that point I know I am setting foot in the land I love in about 3 hours and that ecstatic anticipation sets in. But everything up until then is a bit of a chore--packing, taking care of pets, getting to the airport--all lumped in the chore category. I have gotten to the airport many ways--subway, bus, taxi, town car. It depends on my budget and time constraints. But I would never blow extra money getting to the airport. For me, it is all about when I arrive in JA.

User Info Menu

I used to have someone drop me, but last trip in 2009, I drove myself & daughter to the airport, and it was great! Parking was approx. 7.00 a day. Cab or shuttle would've cost way more as I'm about 40 miles away from Austin Bergstrom airport. I always take the first thing flying out, usually 5:50 am, so its dead easy to drive at 3:30 in the morning, no traffic! That flight is usually about 5 1/2 to 6 hrs total with a 1 hr layover in Atlanta. Then coming home, I take the last flight out which usually results in a 4 hr layover in Atlanta, so I'm not home until midnight. Again, no traffic tho... When the coast road from MoBay to Negril used to be that hellish bone jarring, kidney wrenching, agony inspiring endurance tester, I took the little plane, cost about 50-55 including tax. Now the roads aren't so bad I take the ground transpo, usually a van, for about 45.00 round trip, cause the little planes are around 100 or more 1-way, yikes. And I'm one of those that actually LIKES seeing all the little towns and people on the way! Especially Lucea. Someone always invariably shouts LuuuuCEEEEE (like Ricky Ricardo) LOL!

User Info Menu

Calikent is back?????????
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

When going to Jamaica, from Vermont we drive to Newark, NJ, and stay at the Best WEstern sleep and park and fly. The price is more than reasonable, we drive down the afternoon before so there's no pressure in traffic, stay the night in a jacuzzi suite, have the comp breakfast and take the comp shuttle. Worth every penny! The way back is a little more hassle, having to take the in-airport transportation to the shuttle pick-up, but with only two carry on's, one suitcase, and a case of rum, it ain't that bad! The rum makes it ALL worth it!

Dave
    It's these changes in latitude, changes in attitude
    Nothing remains quite the same.
    With all of our running and all of our cunning,
    If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
    Jimmy Buffett

User Info Menu

I enjoy reading everyone's options for getting there to get THERE. The bus service from Midtown to the airports is fair. My biggest problem is I live 65 miles north of NYC. I used to go out of JFK and use long term parking. That was back when I could get a really cheap non-stop to Mo'Bay and gas was not quite so dear. Now most of the flights I get are not non-stop (one stop is my limit), the drive costs more and parking has become more expensive. LaGuardia is worse than JFK when it comes to parking, but is easy to get to. So, I have tried different ways - Metro North, to the train to the plane - economical but hell. That is a trip in itself!! I could do it but one time my plane got in late, I missed the last train and ended up overnight at Grand Central. Nope, that doesn't work for me. Since I still manage to get decent airfares, I hate spending more to get to the airport than it costs to fly to JA. It is an ongoing challenge, but keeping down the costs is what allows me to go so often.

I think my family is jealous. When I was coming home on Christmas Eve, I asked my son who was coming in from out of town with his girlfriend if they could pick me up at the airport @ ~10:30pm. I figured since they were planning to be in the city that evening, it would be easy. His response was "No. How could you expect me to keep her out that late just to pick you up after you've had your fun?" Excuse me!! Would it been OK if I promised not to have had my fun instead? LOL I guess I know better than to ask for that again. He thinks I shouldn't travel so much. I should be home, baking cookies for grandchildren and settling into old age. yeah, right...

So, of course I am open to suggestions. I have a system for now but if anyone knows a better way, please share.