Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: White stones with red spots

User Info Menu

White stones with red spots

Can anyone tell me what the stones are that have what looks like splattered paint on them found around the far West End area? Someone said blood stones but I can't find any information on them other than the green stones with red spots.

User Info Menu

I noticed quite a few of them at the Westender last week and was wondering the same thing.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

No, that is what I saw when I tried to do research. They are white coralish with maroon spots.

User Info Menu

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 5190
Size:  85.8 KB This is the stone.

User Info Menu

Hard to say with out touching it.
    I'd guss the white part is limestone (common on the west end - I think the cliffs are all limestone).
    The red stuff: best guess coral.

On the black stone the red looks like some kind of lichen-not anything mineral.

User Info Menu

From the picture, it appears to be fossilized reef rock (which is mostly coral skeleton mixed with a cementing type of calcareous algae - the major component of limsestone) - the red flecks appear to be remnants of coralline algae that typically encrusts the rock.

User Info Menu

jan24 love your avatar pic

User Info Menu

Thanks, taken last year from the cliffs.