Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Identification to bring to Jamaica

User Info Menu

Identification to bring to Jamaica

My husband and I are trying to figure out what we need to take with us to Jamaica. We leave in a few hours!

We will have our passports of course, but is there any reason to bring our driver's licenses as well? We were planning to put our passports in the safe in our room but aren't sure if it is a bad idea not to have any ID on us when we are out and about.

Any opinions are appreciated!

Thanks

Keltie

User Info Menu

I can't remember ever using my ID for anything while in Negril...unless maybe it was back in the day when I used to take travelers checks but I don't do that anymore, I just use the ATMs, so no, I can't remember using my ID at all while out and about

User Info Menu

I bring my drivers license just in case.. no idea why.... I just keep it in the save while we are there... i know some places require id if you are using visa...
    Jamaica Bound!

User Info Menu

I would make a copy of the inside page of your passports and carry that around with you.

I carry a copy of my land title, my TRN (taxpayer registration), passport copy, my old work permit and residency card, etc, but I need that to prove my bonefides as I travel in the country and ride in my kid's white plate car.

Just a copy of the passport will do for you guys.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

We bring our drivers licenses for exchanging US currency at the cambios.
    "Yeah, I'm cocky and I am arrogant. But that doesn't mean I'm not a nice person."

—Jeremy Roenick

User Info Menu

We also bring DL for money exchange. They are small. Go ahead and take them

User Info Menu

We always take our DL just incase...plus, we do take travelers checks...so it's easy to carry our DL rather than worry with our passports. We always make a copy of the passport and keep them in a separate spot from the real deal. Personally, I never carry our passports with us except on travel days. Have a great time!!!

User Info Menu

I wouldn't leave home without my DL. Never know when you might need it ... you never know what might happen along the way ... passport stolen, need proof of 2nd ID, airplane diverted for any unplanned reason, consider an airport shuts down and your only choice is to rent a car to get to the next closest airport ...... who knows ... but it takes up virtually no space. Just take it and then you don't have to wonder. Having said that, I've never used it for anything except renting a vehicle in Jamaica.