Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin Fishing

User Info Menu

Marlin Fishing

Is there anyone here that would be interested in a day of deep sea fishing sometime the last 2weeks in April? Maybe a bunch of ladies to show the men how to catch the big one?

User Info Menu

Don't waste your time or $$!!!
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;128/st/20140626/e//k/ae6e/event.png

User Info Menu

Hi beccajean! I can say this, in 2001 I had the best fish I ever ate, and it was brown marlin that someone cooked for me & my friends. I don't use the word "amazing" lightly, but truly, there's no other word for it! And he did it using a old beat up aluminum fry pan. Funnily enough, after I got back home & was still reading the message boards (the old Beingees board), someone posted a pic of a brown marlin they'd caught & said how they gave some away, or gave the whole fish away, anyhoo-- I realized it was the same day I'd had my dinner. I realized, how cool is that... ate some fish that another boardie had caught, and didn't even know it! Thank you kind stranger, LOL! I'll be there April 2 - 11 or else I'd consider it. As a kid, I loved deep sea fishing whether or not I caught anything.

User Info Menu

Yes littlebird I am the same although I do the catch and release.I just like fishing in general its fun and relaxing.

User Info Menu

There is no such thing as a Brown Marlin. There are blue, black, striped and white marlin, but no brown. It was most likely a blue that had been hung and its colors faded...They are delicious, but don't make a practice of eating fish that are at the top of their food chain. You can get sick, and possibly die. And, barracudas are very bad about this!
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;128/st/20140626/e//k/ae6e/event.png

User Info Menu

LOL... ok ok well so it looked brown in the picture, didn't see the actual fish before he hit my plate & then later reading the other boardies post... just a bit of guesswork on my part that the fish I ate, was the fish the boardie caught. I figured to myself, there just couldn't have been more than 1 marlin caught that day, which was given away, on any particuar day in Negril - I don't remember ever seeing an actual Marlin (it is on my bucket list). Seen some cool stuff in Florida on deep sea trips, but no Marlin...

User Info Menu

Yeah beccajean a catch an release a Marlin was on my bucket list, til I realized he probably weight double my size & if grown men take hours to land them, I figure I'd not have a snowballs chance, LOL! I've seen videos where they "spear" boats, and just saw a video where the fish actually jumped in the boat and speared a teenager thru the throat, WOW! So I decided I'd revise that to just "see an actual Marlin" on my bucket list, LOL! When I was a kid we caught a lot of catfish for dinner, sometimes bass. Deep sea fishing we did for fun just to see what all was "out there". I particularly liked the "flying fish", to a kid especially, that was the coolest thing ever

User Info Menu

If you want to catch a marlin I would suggest going out with Stanley, he is the only IGFA compliant charter captain in Jamaica

User Info Menu

I got speared just below the knee in Costa Rica 2 years ago. Not pretty; not good! Got MRSA and had to be hospitalized for a week on return to the US...

User Info Menu

Wow Miguel that is scary & glad you are OK! I guess that's why I like scars, I see a scar & know there is a story there, you just never know what someones been through! Just noticed you are in Austin, me also...well actually Leander