Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Kids to Negril - Any Activity Suggestions???

User Info Menu

Taking Kids to Negril - Any Activity Suggestions???

First off, I would like to say this is my first post to the Negril Message Board. This is top notch information from people that truly love Negril. I love reading the stories.

My wife and I have been to Jamaica 6 times (we were married in JA in 1999) and we have booked our 7th trip and we are taking our 8 and 11 y/o girls. We found a decent AI deal at the RIU Negril. Our kids have been once before when they were pretty young so we just stayed at the resort. Now that they are older, I was wondering if there's any fun activities off the resort. Does anybody have any suggestions? Keep in mind that we really don't want to travel far.

I was thinking of taking them to Margaretville early in the day. That way they could play on the trampolines and slides. Then we can talk a walk down the 7 mile beach.

Just like any city, there's seedy places you don't want to take your kids. The last time I was in downtown Negril, (without kids) I felt a bit threatened while I was shopping. I wanted to spend my money on the Jamaican locals selling souvenirs and not the shops owned by middle-easterners. When we were shopping, there was a man that insisted on walking us from shop to shop. I'm not really sure what service he was providing besides walking ahead of us and pointing to the next tent. I loved the people selling items and I got to see many people making their wood carvings. However, there was this annoying fella following us around. At the end of our shopping, he wanted money for showing us around. My friend gave him $5 USD and he started to get irate. Out of nowhere (like a super hero) our taxi driver drives up to us really fast slamming on his breaks in the gravel, tells us to get in the car, and then confronts the guy. I don't remember the taxi drivers name but I felt that he was watching us and protecting us. Good stuff! Anyway, I'm just looking into some places to take my kids in Negril. In no way am I suggesting that Negril is not a safe place. I'm from STL and there's been many times Ive felt uneasy with my environment when I have gone to sporting events downtown. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard!!! Might try the water park on Norman Manley Blvd. The kids seem to love it there. Also, might consider a day at Rhodes Hall Resort. Peaceful, beautiful, they can hang out on the beach, snorkel, check out the peacock...and just have room to run. A family horseback riding trip would be fun also. A trip in town to Devons for Ice Cream is always a treat. On Sundays, head up the beach a little and generally a lot of the locals are enjoying the beach. Nice time for you and the family to hang out, let the kids mingle and just have fun. THe cultural experiences will last a lifetime. Have fun and enjoy!

User Info Menu

Ahh,Did i hear Rhodes Hall-A day trip to Rhodes would be a nice little road trip.Horseback riding around the Plantation,then swiming with the horses to cool off,after they take your pics.Go see Marsel and rent some snorkel equipment for 5.00usd a day.GREAT snorkeling all round there.You could go to the private beach behind Bayview Restraunt(which that place ROCKS!!!)You could sit under the shade trees and either watch or join the kids playing in the wata or join them.Check out the peacocks,chickens and look around for mongooses.I could go on forever-Sorry-this is JMO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Margaritville is fine, but it is just like home. The beach bars such as Sun Beach (one of many) will let you use their beach and you can get drinks and food too. On your beach walk, stop at Niahs for a patty.
    I would take my kids to Seastar on Saturday night for dinner and the show, but be advised you may see folks enjoying local herbs.
    I know that you will have a blast.

User Info Menu

Thanks Yetta! I never knew there was a water park on Norman Manley Blvd. Thanks for all your suggestions! Rhodes Hall Resort sounds fun for a day too. I will definately look into all of these. We'll be there the first week of June. Normally I don't plan anything, but feel I should this time with the kids.

User Info Menu

Ok, Ive had two suggestions for Rhodes Hall. I will definately check into this. Thanks Vince!

User Info Menu

I just got back from a trip with my 10 & 11 year old kids. They had a blast. They loved the trampoline at Margaritaville!! We took them to Mayfield Falls and out to the reef snorkeling. I had Rhodes Hall on the list, just didn't get to it this trip! I found walking the beach and around town with the kids in tow people were very respectful. I was definetly not offered the usual items, lol, much lower pressure with kids around. Have fun!!

User Info Menu

Rick's is cool too.My boy had fun cliff jumping
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Our 7 yr old loved, loved the Kool Runnings water park, no lines, fun rides and lunch was good and very reasonable. We also went to Rhoades Hall for the first time and loved it. He at first was NOT into it, too quiet for him and no cotton candy man, no patty man, no ice cream man, lol very quiet and peaceful with the best snorkeling around and the infinity pool is awesome!! After chasing a few peacocks and seeing the alligators on the alligator tour he was happy and I am sure next year he will want to return. In my opinion I am sure your kiddos will enjoy both! Have fun!!!!
    ]

User Info Menu

Thanks Katho, that's reassuring that your kids liked the trampolines at Margaritaville. I have a feeling mine would like it too. Plus it could be a starting point to walk the beach. I don't plan on eating at Margaritaville, I'll walk the beach for that. I'm really liking what I'm reading about Rhodes Hall too.