Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9-mile tour from Negril: grueling or easy peasy?

User Info Menu

Nine Mile from Negril is a FUll day. My advice is always if you are a FAN, and I do mean a REAL fan, it is worth it , OR if you can enjoy just the travel around and sights themselves, I say go for it. Otherwise I say skip it. The "tour" itself is best described as a "non-tour" in my book. However, if you want to pay your respects to the man, and again, if you are a FAN, it will mean something to you and you can look over the canned fabrication of it all.

Also, I DO NOT think Bob would approve of what Nine Mile has become by a long shot.

User Info Menu

They don't sell the weed inside but if ya linger outside the "compound" then you will be haggled to purchase. We went in January and it was a long trip - 3 hours for sure each way and that's if you don't hit traffic back in MoBay. Plus a stop for something to eat. There is a full bar inside with prices to match. Many souvenirs to purchase just like anywhere else. Tour took about 30 min max - As Misti1 has indicated - if you are a really big Bob Marley fan and want to pay your respects, then you'll put up with the drive and the disney effect of what Bob's families resting place has become.

Name:  2012 Jan Negril 020 (Medium).JPG
Views: 543
Size:  89.3 KB

User Info Menu

My, that is a lovely bouquet, I wish I could smell it through the screen.

LOL at sign "persons can be persecuted" - that's better than prosecuted, I can take quite a bit of persecution.

I heard a STORY that when people arrive at the bar, the staff hypes them up with "Who wants a Bob Marley shot?" Most of the group says "Yeah Mon" and then are charged THIRTEEN dollars each for a shot. IF TRUE, that is unacceptable and also the partially the tourists' fault for not asking how much.

They should customize tours for those who overstand Rastafari and want to pay their respect in a dignified manner. I personnally would wait until the large groups had started their tour, and request a quieter guide.
    Last edited by goldilocks; 03-16-2012 at 09:09 AM. Reason: cuz I felt like it

User Info Menu

Ms Goldilocks. I so agree with you.

I recommend 100% to tour with Fuzzy. He is a very dear friiend of mine He is an Elder guide and a cousin of Brother Bob Marley.
    Many people are led away to a so called plantation when they are approached outside the compound.
    Friends of mine were told it was the Bob Marley tour and spent all their money. When they tried to go through the gate they were asked for an admission charge. They didn't have it to pay. They had travelled from Switzerland. I was so disappointed when I heard this.
    You can call the Bob Marley Mausoleum and request Fuzzy or I can send you on his telephone number.

B

User Info Menu

Also, I DO NOT think Bob would approve of what Nine Mile has become by a long shot.

I am sure I could hear Brother Bob groan in his marble casket.
    B

User Info Menu

Dear Ms Fussy. You must check Mr Fuzzy.

How much are the tour companies charging? You will find it more enjoyable with a private charter. If it's not too much more I would consider that or maybe find another 2 Bob Marley fans ( shouldn't be difficult) and share the costs.
    One love
    B

Pm your name and I will tell Fuzzy to look out for you.

User Info Menu

I fully admit that this site has been completely commercialized. Two reasons I went were to pay respect to Bob and to see where he was born. They also tell you that a lot of the money goes to fund the school in nine mile. Captain Crazy is loud, but he show much respect on the tour as do all the guides. I think the worst part about it is they do try to get you to spend money on expensive drinks at the bar. My wife and I chose to instead burn a spliff at his resting place (which was allowed). She also left a necklace of sea shells at the mausoleum.

We also saw young children reaching their hands under the fence and begging for money. As you leave, you will be strongly hassled to buy ganja in many forms. To be honest, this was the most pressure I have ever endured to buy something in Jamaica. We almost had to run to our van. That being said, I probably wouldn't go back...but I have no regrets that I did go and pay respect.

Name:  DSCN0880.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  DSCN0890.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  94.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0907.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  DSCN0909.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  90.0 KB

Name:  DSCN0911.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  93.7 KB

By the way Goldilocks...if you go with a group you have to stay with that group and you get whatever guide is available.

You are not allowed to take pictures of the mausoleum and you have to remove your shoes. You spend a few quiet and reverent moments there. As I said, this part of the tour is treated with high respect. Hope that helps.
    One Good Thing About Music, When It Hits You Feel No Pain!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
    You can call the Bob Marley Mausoleum and request Fuzzy or I can send you on his telephone number.

B
    That is very kind of you Ms. Sheba. I hope to be in Sweet Jamaica within 6 to 8 weeks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernRust View Post
    I
    []

By the way Goldilocks...if you go with a group you have to stay with that group and you get whatever guide is available.

Great pix SouthernRust, thanks!

LOL, I rarely travel with groups and I have an extremely strong inbred resistance to being told where to go and what to do. I assume full responsibility for my "risky" behavior. Obviously, I will respect the boundaries of the tour but will not tolerate being herded or pressured.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
    Dear Ms Fussy. You must check Mr Fuzzy.

How much are the tour companies charging? You will find it more enjoyable with a private charter. If it's not too much more I would consider that or maybe find another 2 Bob Marley fans ( shouldn't be difficult) and share the costs.
    One love
    B

Pm your name and I will tell Fuzzy to look out for you.
    That's so nice...I will probably take you up on that and when I nail down a date I'll pm you my info. We would definitely be going JUST to pay respects and really not for any of the other stuff at all. Hubby has random drug testing at work, so even though he was once a big fan of the ganja alas not this time. He was a huge fan of Bob back when I met him (Bob had only died a few years before that), but I'm not sure how he feels now. Once a Bob fan, always a Bob fan, I'd say. We may not listen to his music every day but still have deep respect. I think even though the drive is long and makes for a long day, it would be a good way to see some of the country. Otherwise we tend to succumb to sand gravity big time. I can't ask him if he'd be interested in going otherwise he'd guess my surprise of where we're going.

I'm finding tours anywhere from $100 a person to almost $200. I think the $100 is with a big group and goldilocks I am with you, I don't do big groups real well.

Thanks SouthernRust and all for sharing photos. Great advice and insight, everyone. Thanks for the heaps of help. This is more information in one place than I was able to find after a couple hours of research online!