Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9-mile tour from Negril: grueling or easy peasy?

User Info Menu

9-mile tour from Negril: grueling or easy peasy?

I'm wondering what a day trip from Negril to 9-Mile is like. I know one person's grueling is another person's "no biggie," so as an example, we've done the Playa del Carmen to Chichen Itza tour in one day (2.5 hours each way plus 2-3 hours at the site) and while we were tired, we felt it was do-able and totally worth it.

Still pondering whether or not I want to miss a day on the beach to do it, but travelwise, how is it?

User Info Menu

It is definitely a long full day, comparable at about 2.5-3 hour drive one way
    The drive from Negril to Ochi area is not at all bad as the roads are quite nice and easy (much better than they used to be) but once you make the turn off to go up the mountain to Nine Mile it changes. The roads are very narrow, bumps, holes, winding around the mountain so if you get car sick this part can be a little rough and I would say takes proabably a good 30 minutes or so.

Now the question of whether it is worth it?
    Yes! To me at least it was. If you are a fan of Bob then I would say it is worth it. Even more so back when Mother B was still alive as she would still spend time there at her house when she was in Jamaica and it wasn't at all uncommon to see her and even chat with her while there.
    But the tour will include his childhood home, his room, and many things you hear about in many songs. Plus of course the Mausoleum where he is laid to rest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marley9808 View Post
    It is definitely a long full day, comparable at about 2.5-3 hour drive one way
    The drive from Negril to Ochi area is not at all bad as the roads are quite nice and easy (much better than they used to be) but once you make the turn off to go up the mountain to Nine Mile it changes. The roads are very narrow, bumps, holes, winding around the mountain so if you get car sick this part can be a little rough and I would say takes proabably a good 30 minutes or so.

Now the question of whether it is worth it?
    Yes! To me at least it was. If you are a fan of Bob then I would say it is worth it. Even more so back when Mother B was still alive as she would still spend time there at her house when she was in Jamaica and it wasn't at all uncommon to see her and even chat with her while there.
    But the tour will include his childhood home, his room, and many things you hear about in many songs. Plus of course the Mausoleum where he is laid to rest.
    Exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thank you!

User Info Menu

No problem! And if you make the trip I hope you have a wonderful time.
    My first trip to Nine Mile was quite the experience for me, I will always remember it

And word of advice.....Do NOT touch his bed unless you are looking to reproduce LOL
    Not sure if the tour guide will mention or not but it is rumoured that if you touch his bed in his room you will soon find yourself with child.
    Maybe this explains why he has so many children!!!

I have never touched the bed but I have heard from at least 3 others who did, and they all have children born not much longer than 9 months from their trips! True story!!

lol

User Info Menu

Definately go! They have some great tour guides! One is Bob's cousin and another is called Captain Crazy...very funny guy!

The trip up the mountain is rough, but very scenic. At times you are so close to the edge of the mountain
    you feel you could fall off at any moment. It is an adventure that you will be glad you had!

By the way, the wife sat on Bob's bed and his resting chair....good thing she is "clipped"...LOL
    One Good Thing About Music, When It Hits You Feel No Pain!

User Info Menu

SO glad to hear this. THANKS for the great info and sharing the clip. Kinda seals the deal for me. My husband doesn't know we're going to Jamaica and he's such a huge Bob Marley fan that I think he would wonder why in the world we came all this way and didn't make the trip to Bob's final resting place. And since he's snipped, I think I WILL touch the bed just to tempt fate (although that could get me into a heap of trouble I'm sure)!

I've got a few tour companies bookmarked and will look into it more...of course if you have any recommendations feel free to mention

User Info Menu

For me the only grueling thing was the chessy tour guides there.The place is not that big but you still need a guide.I went along time ago before this crazy guy was around but for me I wanted a revernt place to pay my respect.What I found was a circus they created.I seen a sticker in the gift shop and asked the price $20.00U.S..I told them Bob would want it this way.Bought the same sticker for $1 at the Airport when we left.I'm a huge Marley fan seen him in concert but his resting place is a circus and they are doing this at Peter Tosh's also.Oh well!

User Info Menu

A taste of the road - I'm a little differant and used A1 for the return trip. Used A2 then up and over from Mandeville going in.

I guess the day we were there was differant because we didn't have the laughing tour guide very reverent.

Took us about 10 hours with stops. Very worth trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8QKY61_bb0

and a little pic video with the 9 mile trip in there,,,,

http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.as...709&CID=174893
    I have won many awards in a lifetime of competition and service. But the highest was offered without plaque or fanfare on a hilltop in post Ivan Jamaica. A true Rasta and a dear friend observed "Chet you are like a father of men, you see need and fulfill that need without being asked". Let us be travelers and not tourist.

User Info Menu

We were there in 2005, on the day that would have been his 60th birthday. It was very busy as they were setting up just outside the "compound" for a huge celebration later that night. We really enjoyed it and glad to have done it.

Here's a pic my husband took as we were leaving (the camera date was wrong...it was actually Feb 6th)
    Name:  015_12A.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  95.7 KB
    [/url]

User Info Menu

Now see that is why I want to go to 9 mile someday... 8)