Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to purchase a phone?

User Info Menu

Where to purchase a phone?

Hello to all,
    Once I get off the plane in Mobay and check in at hotel in Mobay because this is my first stop. Where can I purcahse a phone and put minutes on it so I can call back home to US or in JA while I'm there?
    I do not have an unblock cell phone, so I have to purchase a phone and mins. Or can I just buy a card for mins and use my own cell phone?
    Because I am travel and won't be in one place this reach for long, what will be the best avenue to take that will be economical?
    How much do phones cost if I purcahse one w/ mins?
    Any info would truly be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Copper
    Live,Stay true to yourself, and Never Compromise for anything

User Info Menu

Digicell ..a MoBay driver will know where it is .. around 40 bucks for a cheap unit with minutes ..Enjoy !!

User Info Menu

There is a cell phone store right on the Hip Strip in MoBay.

your own cell phone may or may not work there, and roaming charges are outrageously expensive. buying a cheap local phone is the way to go.

User Info Menu

Ok, thanks. I will ask taxi driver to take me there once I arrive.

User Info Menu

If you get yourself an inexpensive Digicel phone w/sim card and add minutes as you go you will find it to be the most economical way. I think it is about 8 to 10 JD per minute to call the US (~10 cents). IF you are going to be making A LOT of International calls to US, Canada or UK, you could purchase a month of unlimited international plan calling for about $15 usd. If you plan on coming back and want to keep your phone active, you can go to the Digicel website and set up an monthly automatic top up to keep your sim & phone number active. About $8 monthly cost will suffice to get 480 credits which keeps the phone active for 35 days. I used to top up with $4 monthly cost but when I arrived in between the expiration & the next top up date, my phone was inactive until I went to a street vendor to buy minutes to reactivate my sim so now I just do the higher amount. The credits accumulate and when I get to Jamaica, no worries! My phone is ready to go.

User Info Menu

Ok, thanks Sweet sue. I have made a note of this.

User Info Menu

I have an old phone here that I don't use any more.... can I bring it down and get it activated in JA?
    Jamaica Bound!

User Info Menu

If it accepts sim cards, is unlocked and the frequency is right, you should be OK.

User Info Menu

You save a LOT of money by buying a Jamaica phone. First few reaches, I figured I would use my Verizon cell just a few times for a quick minute here or there plus to check my machine -- it adds up fast! I bought a phone for 60 bucks with minutes, have never looked back. It's a pleasure to have one.

User Info Menu

with the digicel phone you can get an international plan for $1250J (thats including GCT) and get phone for as little as $2,500J