Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: The Seven Mile Beach Diet - Part III

User Info Menu

The Seven Mile Beach Diet - Part III

GETTING THERE

It’s finally time – that little light sleep the night before, wake up before dawn and head for the airport. In addition to a large tote, I carry a large shopping bag with food. THE food. THE food that was so carefully planned to get me through the car ride to JFK (2 hours), through the airport wait, through the plane ride and to Montego Bay. Without feeling like I will not be able to live without that buffet breakfast or those good-looking hotdogs rolling around in that machine. Being successful here takes planning. Plan what you will bring with you for food on the plane. Pack a LOT of food for the plane. You don’t want to be in the position of having to buy airport food, or heaven forbid, having to eat the “snacks” that are offered for way too much money on the plane. And that will happen if you don’t have plenty to eat, and plenty of choice.

When I plan for bring food on the plane to Negril, I bring extra that I will be able to use during my stay -- here’s what went into my shopping bag …

**Yogurt – One to eat on the way to the airport, before security.

**8 Veggie Wraps – 130 calories each – Low-carb Wheat Tortillas (Mayan brand, fabulous), wrapped up with a tablespoon of artichoke-spinach hummus and fresh yellow pepper and zucchini strips Then each one gets wrapped individually in plastic wrap, and then place them in a plastic storage container so they don’t get smushed. Whatever you don’t eat (unless you have a REALLY long travel day) can be put in your fridge when you arrive and will be good for several days. This gives you an easy and healthy and low-calorie snack in your room to grab when the urge strikes. These can easily be made with turkey or other lean protein and cheese, or other fillings you might prefer. (PS the low-carb whole wheat tortillas are actually better than the plain whole wheat tortillas – very soft and satisfying.)

**Mixed Nuts – Actually I bring a whole container of these in suitcase, but take some out for plane. I but the kind with salt – shoot me – but I never could get used to the blanched almond kind of nut. Has to have oil and salt. And I bring wine glasses filled with nuts to the bar at happy hour which everyone loves.

**Chocolate Oatmeal etc Fiber Bars – relatively low-cal (130/bar) and I like the ones with chocolate – feels like candy to me! Again, I bring several on the plane, but in my suitcase I have 2 boxes for our room.

**Strawberries and Blueberries. One large container of each from Sams Club. Wherever they get these, they are the sweetest I’ve ever had. Everyone says this – Where did you get this fruit?? -- And whatever they put on them, they last forever! I wash them and keep them in the same plastic containers (just put paper towels on the bottom to prevent leakage). I eat the strawberries first – and whatever we don’t eat in our travels, I offer up to our driver Malcolm and our other Jamaican friends when we arrive – they say they don’t get strawberries and this is always a big treat. In the event there are some left over, I hand them over to the bartender to make up my “welcome” drink – fresh strawberries, a touch of milk and lots of ice. Yummmmm! The blueberries travel with me for safe-keeping mostly. They are Nature’s M&M’s I think, and make good snacking food. They also make appearances in blended drinks.

**Hard-boiled eggs – leftover from fridge.

So we’re off – and within minutes my husband is asking what I have to eat. At least he isn’t suggesting a stop at McDonald’s on our way. I have stuff for them, and I have yogurt and a Wrap. 210 calories. And a bottle of water. Lots of water always, like everyone does these days. And all water on travel days, until I get to destination. Once inside JFK, he and my son head to the buffet and I go sit by the Gate. (Why do we always always seem to be at the very last Gate?) I’m happy enough with the wrap and yogurt I had in the car, and I’m feeling good about the fact that I can notice the difference schlepping through the airport. The walking/carrying is easier and doesn’t hurt so much. I can bend down to get my shoes on and off at security easier. Before, if I bent down for more than ½ a second I would get a cramp in my stomach. I believe it was because I could not simultaneously bend AND breathe. But no problem now. So I’m motivated and stick my head into my magazine trying not to smell my husband’s hash browns and sausage as we wait to board.

Once we’re on the plane I pretty much stay in one place. I read, I try to sleep. I eat some strawberries and a chocolate fiber bar. And drink more water. I used to drink a lot on airplanes. In fact, I used to hang out in the back with the stewards and converse. I’ve landed in a few cities fairly loaded (some cities like say New Orleans, Los Angeles, and oh perhaps Negril seem to invite entering in a relaxed state depending on your style. I remember the Air Jamaica flights with the all you can drink champagne. But not in a long time.

Drinking all the water brings about another first (or first in a long time). I can get up out of my seat without grabbing and pulling on the poor person’s seat in front of me. More progress.

Just before we begin our descent, I have 2 hard-boiled eggs. I don’t want to get there and be hungry right away, and I have a plan for stopping for some lunch at The Pork Pit and don’t want to arrive there ravenous The eggs, protein, does the trick. We left our house at 5 am for a 9 am flight, and we are arriving in Montego Bay at 12:30. 7 ½ hours of travel, 550 Calories. Not bad.

We get through customs and walk outside -- there is Malcolm, our dear friend and driver, waiting for us in the middle of the sea of drivers. I love it the way he stands right up there in the middle of the driver chaos, and waves and smiles his great smile and we are home. Love love love this part. Every trip just keeps getting better even after many years.

Into Malcolm’s van we pile. My husband and soon take their usual places in the back, and I take my place in front with Malcolm. I smile when I notice that he does not have to push my door closed against me this year, he just shuts it with some room to spare. I wonder if he noticed too in a mostly innocent but hey I’m only human sort of way. I decide he likely did. Feels good.

Malcolm has Red Stripe for my husband, juice for my son, and a bottle of Chardonnay for me. How lovely that he welcomes us this way. We head off toward lunch – I want to try The Pork Pit in Montego Bay before we leave the city – read about it on The Forum, and I’ve decided I can execute portion control and get everybody some lunch and it will be ok. I drink half a glass of the wine. It tastes good, nice and cold. The Pork Pit was bustling – we place our order for some Grilled Pork BBQ and some Festivales. I must say it was delicious. I have a bit the pork. The size of a deck of cards, which is 4 ounces. So about 200 calories worth of pork. No extra sauce. I eat 1/3 of one of their long’ish festivals. I’m psyched, I’m talking a mile a minute to Malcolm in the car. Husband is stretched out, son is sleeping and I’m in Jamaica. Life is good.

We reach Seasplash in the late afternoon, say our hellos to all of the wonderful staff that is almost lined up waiting for us – such a wonderful reunion and welcome that we so look forward to! But between the little sleep the night before, the travel, and the wine, it’s not long after sunset before we are sound asleep.

User Info Menu

I love this report. I'm going to follow your lead next month and bring the same food. Do you bring the wraps, eggs and yogurt in a cooler type of bag? Do you go thru security without any trouble. I know you can't bring water.

User Info Menu

That is awesome Mrs Wilson,way to stick to your diet! Great work.Keep us posted.

User Info Menu

I love this. Great to have these foods on the way there, but heck, I'm going out and getting some of this stuff today for my pre-trip diet. This is better than a weight watchers meeting.

User Info Menu

Another great portable and healthy snack is mozzarella string cheese. You can pick up a bag of the indivually wrapped cheeses to bring with you. If you are following low carb, they are less than 1 carb per cheese. I also love those Laughing Cow cheese wedges. So yummy! You can fill a ziploc with some carrot and celery sticks to munch on, too. You have some great suggestions though!

User Info Menu

Here's a really cool wrap for people on special diet, or who just don't like Nori, or just want something different. I love them & my grandkids are crazy about these Yama Moto Soy Wrappers! You use them just like you would Nori. Great for cold or hot foods too, we just put rice & bits of meat or whatever & roll them up. These are very very thin, you just lay them out & dampen a bit with a little water & roll up your goodies!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

For a thicker wrap to do more substantial stuff like raw veggies, I've heard this one was good although I have not used this type yet, myself, by GemFoods, called GemWraps. They are on HSN & on the web. I noticed their web site also listed a product called their "Origami" which seemed to be a lot like the Soy Wraps.

User Info Menu

LittleBird I have tried these and agree they are a great alternative -- and so colorful! But they are very thin, and subject to getting soggy so you have to be careful not to overload or use a lot of wet ingredients. Used them for a party when I wanted to have lots of healthy options everyone enjoyed them. I have a lot more food to talk about and have a feeling others will be bringing ideas to the table, ha so to speak.

User Info Menu

Indeed they are super thin, I usually fix them for a "bento box" style dinner & take them up to work "bento" style for my lunch. They do well in the microwave heating up for just about 20 seconds. I'd love to try the Gemwraps I saw on HSN, they look like they're much thicker. Have to wait though, budget too tight with the Negril trip. Oh my I just realized, I can take a package of the Yama Motos to Negril to use while there - I bought the multi-packs of them. Great way to wrap some rice & peas or something like that for snacks or lunch the next day...

When I make them for the grandkids I make the wraps & put in thin slices of hot dog & some kind of veggie like baby spinach leaves. I make the little hot dog "octopus" thingies & rice mold deals, the kids go nuts for those also. I even have the egg press things that you can boil the eggs, put in the press, & they come out in the shape of fish - too cute! I got some great "bento" ideas watching You Tube. Some very, very clever people out there for real

User Info Menu

mofrommonroe-- don't bring yogurt through security--I got pulled over recently when I had it packed in my carryon. As MrsWilson mentioned, eat it in the car or before security in the airport. All the other items mentioned should be fine.