Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customs Question - when returning

User Info Menu

Customs Question - when returning

Hi there -
    I'm hoping someone can answer a simple custom question. We are heading to Negril from April 2nd - 13th. In the past, we've always had a non stop flight to and from, so we went through customs in Minneapolis.

However, with this trip we have a lay over in Atlanta both ways. Do we JUST go through customs once in Atlanta? or do have to go through in Minneapolis too?

Thanks!
    Karen

User Info Menu

You will go through customs in Atlanta, you go through customs on whatever city/state is your first entry into the United States.

User Info Menu

Perfect! Thank you. That's what we were thinking, but we weren't positive.

Thanks,

Karen

User Info Menu

Is there a limit on how much booze we can bring back? We were planning on bring back a few bottles of rum cream and appleton rum.

User Info Menu

I believe the first 2 litters is duty free and after that you will need to pay duty.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zenser View Post
    Is there a limit on how much booze we can bring back? We were planning on bring back a few bottles of rum cream and appleton rum.
    It seems we are on the same wavelength...I had another post about how much rum cream to bring back too! I wish they sold it here!!!

User Info Menu

I know someone else may know more about this, but there is a law that you cant transport alcohol from state to state. I landed in Atlanta one time and they were confiscating the alcohol. I know if it is a direct flight, then you have no worries.
    One Good Thing About Music, When It Hits You Feel No Pain!

User Info Menu

the liquor laws differ for each state. perhaps that's a Georgia state law (?) But, having said that, i've entered through ATL lots of times and have never come across any alcohol being taken away; not saying it never happens - but i've never experienced it or seen or heard of it happening from anyone I know; it seems like a rare occurrence.

the only thing people usually have to be concerned about when bringing back bottles, is the TSA 3-ounce restriction; because once inside the US you can't carry liquor onto the connecting flight, even if it was purchased/packaged at Duty Free.

For those with direct flights it doesn't matter, but for connecting flights, liquor bottles carried on from Mobay must be packed into the checked luggage, after clearing C & I, and before re-checking it onto the connecting flight.

User Info Menu

SouthernRust, are you sure it wasn't stolen in Atlanta? We fly Delta and connect in Atlanta back to Little Rock. When coming back from Negril a couple of years ago, all of our liquor but one bottle was 'stolen'. Just asking ...

User Info Menu

Be aware that if you carry on liquor or rum cream. After clearing customs in Atlanta you will no longer be able to carry it on, it will have to be checked as it exceeds the 3 oz liquids limit. Best to pack it in your checked luggage before you leave the island.