Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Returning to Jamaica Finally

User Info Menu

Returning to Jamaica Finally

After a week long trip to Negril in 2009 we will finally be returning to Jamaica. I have been obsessed ever since our last trip. My wife and I travel 2-3 times per year alternating between Europe, the Carribbean and Central America. Every time a trip comes up I say lets go back to Jamaica to which she always responds "we have already been there". So after considering numerous other islands she saw a Sandals commercial touting 65% off and said call them and see where there specials are. I did and guess where the only place they had on sale the week we were going? Ocho Rios, Jamaica. So I won and we are returning April 7th for one week staying at the Sandals Grande Riviera. I know this should probabaly be posted on the Ocho Rios Forum but it is totally dead, so I thought some fellow Jamaica lovers might chime in. We have hired Reggae Tours to take us one day to Port Antonio to go to Someset Falls, Blue Lagoon, Monkey Island, Boston Bay and Frenchmans cove. Has anyone on this board ever been to Ocho Rios and in particular Sandals Grande Riviera? Any issues with 420 or is it as easy as in Negril (bellhop, bartender, groundskeeper etc.?). Any advice/comments/suggestions would be helpful. Again I know this is on the wrong board but I'm hoping someone will chime in.

Snickerbilly

User Info Menu

I know what you mean. My wife keeps telling me the same thing. "We've been there already". That being said, we'll be back for our 5th time on 4/15. I don't partake, but I don't think you'll have any problems. Just relax and go with the flow. Kinda funny that we'll be home on 4/20.

User Info Menu

I can't speak to the questions on your hotel but I have been to all of the places you will visit on the tour and you will enjoy that a lot
    You can see some of the pictures of our trip to Port Antonio last October in our trip report here:
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...ght=marley9808
    The Port Antonio part starts on Day Two
    Also, if you are in Ocho Rios, I would highly recommend visiting Mystic Mountain…..we had such a fun day there….a really cool place, I would definitely go back.

Have fun!

User Info Menu

Check out Glistling Waters too.Take a ride up thriugh Fren Gully then take a trip to Walkerswood.All above mentioned are nice locations as well.There's Scothties for some Jerk,Or there is a place a little outside Ochie going toward Port A there is a Jerk Center on the left just past Glenn's.It's owned by a VERY nice lady named Samatha.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

We have been all over the Caribbean But prefer Negril hands down to all the rest. I hope you aren't disappointed with Ocho - it's a totally different vibe than Negril. Out of our last 25 trips to JA we only stayed outside of Negril once - Runaway Bay. It was wierd being on the Island and not in Negril. It's been just over one year since we've made it to Negril. That will all change shortly. We are booked and ready to see all of our friends on the beach. Soon come.

User Info Menu

If you like to bring home gifts for yourself, go to the Wassi Art Studio. I bought a piece in the late 90's that has tripled in value.
    It's beautiful handmade pottery with unique designs, one of a kind.

Name:  Wassi bottom.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  Wassi pitcher.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  87.6 KB

User Info Menu

Ochie

I've been to Ocho Rios serveral times since 1998. If you want some local flavour, Mahogany Beach is nice and relaxing, as are Reggae Beach and James Bond Beach (a little further out of Ochie.) Hire a reputable tour cab and they will stay with you. I agree with the pottery place too. I bought a piece some years ago -- it is unique and treasured. If you can hike, there is a very special water fall that the locals go to (you need a reputable cabbie to take you, and they will know where it is -- it's not Dunns River Falls.) You have to walk down a large hill .. you can walk around in the water to reach a spot to walk back up which is not as difficult as the hill going down.)

Good luck on a one day tour of Port Antonio. It's over a 2 hour drive from Ochie. Long Bay and Winnifred beach are wonderful. Blue Lagoon is not what it's cracked up to be, although you can say you were there.

Have fun !!