Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: 60s/70s Dub Reggae, 1st Visit to Negril

User Info Menu

60s/70s Dub Reggae, 1st Visit to Negril

Hello! My wife and I are very excited to be traveling to Negril this weekend. We are spending a week in Negril and staying at Rooms on the beach.

We love 60s/70s Dub Reggae (King Tubby, Lee Perry, Augustus Pablo etc). Are there any music clubs in Negril that cater to this specific style of music? We love all types of Reggae so I'm sure we will have no problem if there isn't - but I thought I ask.

Also we love coffee and would like to visit the Blue Mountains and perhaps get a tour of the coffee fields. Any suggestions about the best tour/guide?

We can't wait to enjoy the beaches and the sun and to escape the winter in New York.

Thanks kindly in advance for your help!!

User Info Menu

Good luck hearing that music in Negril. Roots and Dub is hard to come by. You will mostly hear dancehall, especially in the clubs and if it isnt dancehall it's lovers rock. Heck, I have a hard time finding someone playing that music in NYC, one of the reasons I travel to London every year.....

User Info Menu

I've only returned from my first trip several weeks ago and mostly stayed in the west end so my experience likely differs from others. I will defer to others who have more experience. With that said, I was disappointed that there weren't clubs/bars catering to different styles/age groups etc. The live entertainment I experienced was good but you'll almost always get a heavy dose of the classics. Not all bars/hotels always play reggae and when they do, again, it's typically your roots rock and lovers rock classics. You'll find today's dancehall playing in the dance/night clubs.

Some bars, at least in the west end, will play your CD's or songs off of your IPod/mp3 player which I'm keeping in mind for next trip.

Trust me though, you won't miss it that much and you'll find many other reasons to come back.
    Last edited by Kevin, PA; 03-27-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

Roots Reggae is hard to come by unless you see a live band. Even the live bands are going to play the more popular songs which is still cool. (Stir It Up, One Love, etc.) With that said, most people (not people here) that travel to JA wouldn't know the difference between Peter Tosh and Harry Belafonte. LOL!

It seems to me that the younger generation of Jamaicans are mostly into dancehall music. None of the songs ever end, the DJ blows an airhorn in between each song. Oh, a perfect example of that would be that Malibu Rum commercial. Let me find the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGk9AUlJQO8

The first time I saw this commercial, it took me right back to Jamaica. It's that air horn.

User Info Menu

On Sunday, listen to any radio station in Jamaica and you'll hear some dub...