Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: all inclusive vs. non all inclusive

User Info Menu

I enjoyed reading your post about being so excited. I remember the anticipation of my first trip - I could hardly sleep those last few days stateside! And I still get butterflies everytime another reach gets close. I love to travel and used to do a lot of road trips in addition to foreign travel but now I am happy to return to Jamaica time after time.

I have never stayed at Catcha but from what I understand, it is a special place. My first stay was at SamSara. Since then I tried Legends, White Sand and a few others but I fell in love with Green Leaf Cabins - mostly because I really like the family that runs it. It is a down home, simple, basic kind of place where I feel like I have my own little cabin in Negril... and about as far away from AI as you can get. And when I am not there, I have a place to stay away from tourist strip, in the countryside. Don't get me wrong, the AI experience has its place, especially if you will be spending alot on food & drink or maybe for part of a trip, just to mix it up a bit. But when I travel, I really like to mix with the people and get a feel for the place I am in. I have been blessed with great experiences and the opportunity to make a few good friends.

I hope your first trip is so wonderful that it proves to be the first of many more! ENJOY FULLY!

Peace.

User Info Menu

Oh yes you are definitely opening a can of worms. Wait until you see this thread by Monday morning. Have a nice weekend Guiri!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guirigay View Post
    Gonna open a can of worms and then probably disappear for the weekend! In my opinion there are wrong ways to travel, to wit a few. With a closed mind, with cultural bias, with a sense of superiority, with unrealistic expectations. AI's do tend to attract more of these types of individuals but it doesn't mean you can't have a great vacation at one.
    I'm with you on this one. It's a broad brush however it's my perception of my experiences with AI's. With that aside, my issue is more the hoards of people. I like the boutique experience much more.

User Info Menu

I went to a few ais in Mexico and Jamaica with large groups of family. It did seem to work, lotsa kids under 7 so it was easy.. but by the third day, the restaurants would get old.. with the exception of a 6 apple we stayed at in the tulum area of Mexico, they had great food.. bug especially in Jamaica, we would he eating out anyway, but all the other family never left the resort except for tours.. after staying ai twice and now non ai 6 times, I would never go back.. and 800x3 is 2400 + fees, I get airfare and hotel for around 1700.. I can eat where i want, allot! For the 700 and fees difference.. I spend more the 2400 total, but we do things and go places every day all day. A Jamaican vacation, not a beach and buffet trip.

User Info Menu

I've only been to to Negril once and stayed at Catcha (/disclaimer). I definitely went back and forth with AI or non AI before I booked. Everything I found said that if you are going to love the island and return you are going to love it because of the people and the vibe. Therefore, I decided not to rob myself of that by booking AI and I am happy that I didn't. I found that the real connection was made by having to get out and explore and learn about the Island. I had to meet new people and fend for myself and that is why I am returning this year. I will admit that the first time the big wooden doors of Catcha closed behind me i was outside my comfort zone, but that is when I really gained an appreciation for the country. Had I stayed at an AI I would probably not be returning this year. I could find another place that has beach and all you can eat food for probably cheaper. I would not have the same connection/feeling. That is not to say AI is not appropriate for everyone. I'm sure like anything it has it's time and place. I just don't feel it was or will be right for me. Just my 1.74j

Catcha '11

User Info Menu

I personally do not like AI's, it great that food and drinks are all included and what not.. but when im on vacation i barely eat..sooo it just wouldn't be worth it to me.. i eat 1 1/2 meals on a good day when i'm on vacation...the only thing id benefit from is the drinks part....

also, i like to spread the wealth... if i have $500 to spend i'd rather spend it at 10 places than give all of my money to an AI that is owned by some already wealthy European guy..

User Info Menu

We've stayed AI and non AI. For us, we spent the same amount of money either way. We didn't stay at a high end AI, Point Village 3 times. Our last trip was non-AI and I loved it; that being said, I love PV too. We hit the ground running though. Sure there were days we hung out on the beach at PV, but there were an equal amount of days we spend out exploring the beach and the cliffs. The convenience of not having to 'think' about where or when you are going to eat/drink is nice, but there are so many places to do that it wasn't an issue when we went non AI. If you get a good deal ~ take it ~ whether that is AI or not. I used to feel like I wasn't getting the "real" experience of Negril because of where we stayed, but after several trips I have decided that what works best for us is all that matters. Enjoy your trip, Treefrog!! and your great deal!!!!

User Info Menu

I've done both, and for me AI in JA takes away from the real experience of JA. Yes, it's worry free, but the food taste nor comes close to the authentic food outside it's gates. The people are program to entertain you and that is the experience that you are paying for. When I can just book a room at an non AI and be free to explore, meet locals,eat, and see amazing culture, and cuisine. An adventure, and real experience of the country itself.
    Live,Stay true to yourself, and Never Compromise for anything

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guirigay View Post
    Gonna open a can of worms and then probably disappear for the weekend! In my opinion there are wrong ways to travel, to wit a few. With a closed mind, with cultural bias, with a sense of superiority, with unrealistic expectations. AI's do tend to attract more of these types of individuals but it doesn't mean you can't have a great vacation at one.
    Yeah Guirijay - I 've stepped in before and had my share of cans opened up but I am of the same persuasion. When I traveled solo so my first trip to JA, I had booked several tours as I did not know anyone or what to expect. I had a blast. Being a woman alone, I often rode "shotgun" with the driver. It was the funniest thing to see the look on people's faces when they realized that I was ALONE on the tour. I was told things like "Oh I could never do that." "You are really brave" or (my favorite) "Aren't you a bit scared? They (the AI) told us never to leave the property unless on a tour or with one of 'their people." That sealed it and I decided that the AI experience was not for me. Ok, maybe for a cruise with day trips but not for my beloved Jamaica. I want to get to know her more and more with each reach. I love my time there and I wouldn't change how I roll for the world.

Peace and Full Joy!

User Info Menu

There sure are a lot of stereotypes flying around this thread...staying at an AI doesn't make you or mean you are some kind of culturally backwards, offensive, arrogant jackhole. Sometimes it just means that is the kind of vacation you can afford.

Let's face it, is there really a right or wrong way to travel to Jamaica?!?! Heck no LOL! I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.