Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: In need of some packing advice...

User Info Menu

Did 12 days in St Lucia - 5 sailing and a week in a villa - with a carry on bag and a shoulder pack. Had snorkeling equipment with the large ScubaPro flippers and scuba booties. We'll be there 9 days this reach and I would never think of taking more than I did for that trip. Underwear is highly underworn in the tropics. I only take a few pair and always seem to bring back some I never wore. 3 suits - wearing, dry and drying. coupla shorts. coupla t-shirts. 1 or 2 long sleeve UV shirts. Wear a nice going out outfit on the plane. Wear the Keens, pack the Birks. Essentials only in the 3 oz carry ons, buy sunscreen, etc there.

You guys are going to be highly mobile, I know folks who would say you're overdoing it with a rolling carry on for your itinerary. They'd be running with a knap-pack and a Euro-bag with all your moves. Essentials are much less than you might think if your constantly traveling. I'm clearly a proponent of less is best!
    What's so funny 'bout Peace, Love and Understanding?

User Info Menu

I think you can do it......if not, you have several of us coming in after you, send a distress call and we will throw something in our checked bags, which unfortunately, I always bring.....but mine are free on Jet Blue, so why not!

PS I already have the chinese lanterns, I will be packing them in my bag! yay!

User Info Menu

I don't know Clarity, it depends if you are high maintance or not. For me, when I go to JA I don't like to spend the extra money on things that I can carry from home. I would rather pay the extra luggage fees. Also, certain thgs that I exclusively like to use (product wise) that I have to check like gels, creams,oil,etc. I also like options,even though during the day your in your bathing suit for the most part you do need clothes in the evening. Your trip is now 12 days and anythg can come up that you may need a different outfit for, you never know.
    Live,Stay true to yourself, and Never Compromise for anything

User Info Menu

Thanks Sweetsue! That’s true! Packing light would give me a good excuse to buy a few sarongs and sundresses in Jamaica.

Joe Trinidad – LOL! You’re killing me! Of course, I will remember to pack my left eye patch!
    Stay up lace stockings! lol – A very practical packing list indeed. Sticking to the essentials.

Jbizek – You brought up a good point… It would suck if I spent all this time strategizing and cramming everything into a carry-on bag only to have it checked in because there isn’t enough space in the overhead compartment. I’ll end up kicking myself for not checking in a big bag and bringing everything I would have liked to bring…
    Although, I’m not quite as crazy as some of those people in that article. I’m not planning on wearing 15 layers of clothes. Lol

TizzyATX – Uhoh… If you’re saying “NO WAY…” too. That kind of worries me. Maybe I should check in a suitcase.

Guirigay – I like how you roll!

Marley – Now that’s an idea, What size shoe do you wear? Are you willing to pack a few extra? Haha - FYI: I’m 8 ½

Copper350 – I’m not high maintenance, but you do have a good point about having to spend extra money to buy all the things I left back at home. It probably ends up costing the same as checking in a bag…

Ack…Oh no. I’m torn again. lol
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Clarity, we could work it out! Yes I wear an 8 or 8 1/2
    But to be honest, almost all of my shoes are flip flops....Ha!

Of course I do have TONS of shoes....so I could pack some more (insert Raul sighing here)...I just never wear any of them (insert Raul saying "then why do you keep buying them" here)

Once you're packed just let me know any specific color or style you may need/want! LOL

User Info Menu

Clarity, i know EXACTLY what you're going through. I've done it both ways on seven-day trips, but for this long of a trip I always bring a big suitcase along with carry-on and personal item. I figure the odds are good it will not get lost (tho it does happen but usually just a delay), and you really do appreciate it once you're there.

However, I was always dealing with FREE, never a charge. That puts a wrench into it because I am the unconventional type that loves to save every penny possible but still likes to splurge impulsively, so the $30 dollar does factor in. Yet I thought it was $50??? How about one big extra bag to share? DOn't worry Clarity, it will get there .... and you will appreciate it! Plus, the baggage usually rolls out QUICK in negril .... (famous last words, lol)

User Info Menu

We didn't wear 1/2 of what we brought for our 10 day trip in June. But, our checked bags are free and on a nonstop its really hard to lose luggage....

Go with coworker #1, is my thought...
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

Marley - LOL - Raul's insert comments could be exchanged with Markus's insert comments about my shoes.
    (Particularly my collection of boots and dress shoes. I keep finding ones I like, but then realize the heels are too high, they're not practical or they aren't comfortable. I have a huge pile in the closet. )
    I just might take you up on that offer though, Lets see how this packing goes.
    Packing attempt #1 will happen this weekend.

RR – Thanks! Another vote for co-worker 1#

Gerrg123 – Hmmm….That’s an idea. Maybe bring one big check in suitcase and the carry-ons. I can pack all the “I CANT LIVE WITHOUT” essentials into the carry-ons (just in case my luggage gets lost). I’ll suck it up, pay the $30 for that one big suitcase and pray that it’s waiting for us at baggage claim.

I’m hoping at ten years from now, I’ll have enough 12 day vacations under my belt that this post asking for packing help will make me just laugh and shake my head. Right now though, it feels like a huge undertaking and this trip feels so monumental! Haha!

I guess every first is like that…

Thanks so much guys for all your help!
    Last edited by Clarity; 03-30-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

If I remember correctly you are staying at 3 different hotels. I would bring a carry on each and one checked bag. That way you can get all your toiletries and sun screen in the checked bag along with stuff for the last hotel. Pack the carry-ons with the stuff for the first 2 hotels. This way if your luggage is lost (it can't happen for the 3rd time) you will still be ok and it will catch up to you by the time you get to the 3rd hotel. For me 12 days is a long time to go without having everything you need. I don't know about you but everything takes up more space going home. Sunscreen alone would probably cost you $30.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Marley - LOL - Raul's insert comments could be exchanged with Markus's insert comments about my shoes.
    (Particularly my collection of boots and dress shoes. I keep finding ones I like, but then realize the heels are too high, they're not practical or they aren't comfortable. I have a huge pile in the closet. )
    Yep! That's me exactly!!!! lol
    Good luck....and I am here if you need me.....and so are all of my shoes! LOL