Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: A little different trip report

User Info Menu

A little different trip report

I have been reading and enjoying the reports on this message board. I thought I would share mine.
    My wife (she who must be obeyed) and I were I negril last may. We did the usual beach, red stripe, rum
    Repeat. My wife (swmbo) decided to embarke on an quest for callaloo seeds. We walk to town and ask a local expert on callaloo seeds (taxi driver) where he would buy such seeds. "hardware store of course"
    After visiting a few hardware stores (yes there are several) are quest (forced march) seemed to be in vain.
    As we headed further out of town a garden center appeared. The holy grail at last. Yes they had the
    Seeds we sought after. Now you may think this is what I wanted to post about but the point of all this
    rambling is coming up next. We had waked past St Anthony soup kitchen on our quest and for some
    strange reason I decided to stop in. I asked one of the workers how I could make a donation. I was now
    the biggest celebrity in negril. They tracked down Father Jim for me. I looked around and saw how well
    they people we being fed and how much they need the assistance. Father Jim came and haves a quick tour.
    I donated a few bucks and he was very appreciative. Father Jim's church is located across the street from
    coco la palm. So if your inclined to stop by and donate, I can tell you that the money will go directly to feed
    people that really need it.
    We will be back this April and we will be stopping in to see our new friends at St Anthony's soup kitchen.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info! Can't think of much else more worthy than getting a hungry person fed, will surely stop by when I get down there this week~

User Info Menu

After reviewing my post my wife said I'm no longer allowed to use a computer with autocorrect. Makes me look like I have been drinking red stripe all day

User Info Menu

St Anthony's Kitchen is an awesome effort indeed! The good they do is indeed worthwhile. I obtained some callaloo seeds from another boardie. Wow, do they do well here in the states. My friend just sent me another batch and this year...I'm going to make an effort to harvest some of my own seeds. Hopefully, it will work out well. The only problem I had was with insects eating the leaves. I hate to use pesticides, so I need some new ways to deal with it. Going to google it and see if I can come up with a way to deal with it.

User Info Menu

some dishsoap diluted with lots of water in a spray bokkle...

http://www.ehow.com/info_7962197_nat...le-garden.html
    Last edited by ackee; 04-02-2012 at 03:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBird View Post
    Thanks for the info! Can't think of much else more worthy than getting a hungry person fed, will surely stop by when I get down there this week~
    Good to see someone spreading the word about St. Anthony's Kitchen. In addition to money - which is always a good thing to give, they sometimes need items not readily available in JA or stuff to give the kids. At Easter, they have a party/Easter Egg hunt for the children so they usually give out some candy & little toys with an Easter theme. (Hollow plastic eggs are usually needed) At Christmas, they put together gift bags for EVERY adult and EVERY child who frequents the center. They always can use donations of coloring books, pencils, crayons, small toys, etc.

Name:  SAM_0297.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  85.4 KB
    Santa was much too skinny He needed a lot of padding
    Name:  SAM_0303.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  95.0 KB

If you want to contact Fr. Jim or send donations - they will use it as you direct, i.e. for the soup kitchen.

Mary, Gate of Heaven Catholic Church
    Norman Manley Blvd.
    P.O. Box 2564
    Negril, Westmoreland
    Jamaica , West Indies
    876-957-4900

User Info Menu

yes indeed. i was down at whites sands back in march when the rain came. i was sitting on the beach under the cover and got talking to this guy that was also watching the rain. it was Fr. jim. one of the guys from white sands came over to introduce and explain about the soup kitchen, i then got to thinking that the company that i work back for has Jean Days on friday once a month. the employees get to wear jeans for the day and we in turn pay $2 for this privlage. so i when i arrived back in green bay i talked to the correct people and we are going to have a jean day for with the procedes going to the St. Anthony Kitchen.

Fr. Jim did pick me up a couple of days later and brought me over to visit St. Anthony's and explained what they are working on there. what a wonderful cause. they serve hundreds of people on a given day. they work with families to get some of the kids to school. it is a wonderful program. i am not quite sure when this jean day will happen but i was assured that we are going to have a day for St. Anthony's Kitchen. thanks for Everton at the White Sands.
    Last edited by guyingb; 04-02-2012 at 07:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guyingb View Post
    fr. Jim did pick me up a couple of days later and brought me over to visit st. Anthony's and explained what they are working on there. What a wonderful cause. I am not quite sure when this jean day will happen but i was assured that we are going to have a day for st. Anthony's
    wonderful!

User Info Menu

Is there someplace in Negril I can get crayons and coloring books to donate? I would bring it with me but now that I have the little one, our luggage is filled!
    Happy holiday family time!