Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renting a Scooter

User Info Menu

Question Renting a Scooter

Hey boardies, need some info on renting scooters...
    I've always wanted to ride one while in Negril,any suggestions on where to rent and How much?
    Now, I have never rode one, but definitely not scared-I ride on the back of hubby's Harley all the time. What's your exerience with first time riding in Negril? Any Do's and Dont's?
    "Live for today as tomorrow is not promised" Live....Love....Laugh....

User Info Menu

I highly recommend this appropriately named guy called "Gas" on the west end. I can get you contact info.. but he's got a new spot which is right next to Home Sweet Home on the right side... just up past Jenny's a bit.

He's a super nice guy, will give you good rates and has nice bikes that are in good shape.

He gave us solid rates for a full week, and we didn't have any issues at all.

The scooter thing isn't for everyone, but they can be really great if used properly.

User Info Menu

Up on the west end near summerset road-Bandmark has good scooters, good price...You can also exchange money there, money gram (ie cambio) as well as rent a scooter or motorcycle..
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

Usually about 20 per day, especially in the offseason .... maybe a little less for a full week, if you bargain. They're great to have, but watch out for pot holes and drive carefully while letting others pass. You should be OK. Wear a helmet (the locals never do) or the police will stop you at road blocks and tell you to put it on.

User Info Menu

I would love to rent a motorcycle, my hubby and I each have a Harley. Sounds like a blast!
    Paradise Found--- June 11th through 18th--Country Country

User Info Menu

Emmie, we rent a Honda Shadow a few times each stay from Banmark. Their bikes are in great condition and they give us a great deal. I've never felt safe on those scooters, I prefer to keep up with traffic, but that's just me. We've also rented dirt bikes (Yamaha 225) from Banmark, same same - great condition, good deal. Its a fun way to get around!

User Info Menu

We rent from Banmark, he has nice scooters (nicest I've seen). One thing to note regardless of were you rent is to be sure and note ALL damage to the rental BEFORE you take them. One time we returned the scooters and were charged $50 US for replacement parts due to scuffs on one side of the bike. I am sure they were not caused by me ( I think ) but in the end it was my fault for not checking it over before we signed them out. I recommend the SECOND station out from the roundiebout for gas (less hustle). Oh, and that roundiebout can be a bit confusing the first few times!(follow the cars) While your learning the ropes, don't be afraid to pretend it is a bicycle and stay to the side of the road, though that has it's own tribulations. Watch the curves on the cliffs, look into/through the turn, your bike goes were you are looking (ask your hubby) wear a helmet it just makes sense and have a great time!

User Info Menu

Funny you mention that....
    We rent scooters all the time, and normally from a friend named Benz down on the beach, his bikes are a little older but he treats us right and we have never had a problem. This last trip we were at Negril Escape for our wedding and Banmark was nearly across the street and his bikes looked brand spanking new and he offered us a pretty good deal so we rented two bikes. During the week one of the bikes gave us some problems so we took it back to the shop and traded it out. A couple days later on the day we were leaving we brought the bikes back and were told that the previous bike had scratches and dents on the side. They brought the bike to show us (no way of proving it was the same bike we had before). I told them I knew for a fact that I did not turn that scooter in that way. That I had not done any damage to any of the scooters and they refused to believe that. They said it was my bike and the damage obviously happened while in my posession so I was responsible and they quoted me some huge amount of money and I refused, but hell they had a hold on my credit card and we had to get on the bus to go to the airport, I had no choice so I finally just paid $100 and got my card back.
    I am sorry but thats not the way to run a business. I am a very loyal customer and rent every time I am there, but I will never rent from Banmark again, so yes, if you do so, take that advice and document every single inch of that bike so you have the proof that I didnt have to make my case.
    That whole incident left a real bad taste in my mouth for that company I am sorry to say.
    I guess the moral of the story is that when you find someone who treats you right, stick with them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gerryg123 View Post
    Wear a helmet (the locals never do) or the police will stop you at road blocks and tell you to put it on.
    LOL You had to know I was going to see this. Yes they do and the helmets are disgusting bring miniature lysol! Also can I suggest staying off the West End road at night the scooters go so slow the cars come whipping around the corners and it is not very safe. JMH rider O

Children Are Our Tomorrow !

User Info Menu

http://gasbike.tripod.com/

Go Gas and save
    How much further? Oh, just around the bend.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLFA4931216CEBD1FA