Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Catcha off limits to sea star guest!..

User Info Menu

I think it is really is personal preference. I love to stumble out of bed in the morning, throw on my suit and jump in the sea, without having to get a cab, walk a distance, or coordinate with a van. I also love having my first cup of coffee gazing at the sea. Seastar is awesome, and they are famous for repeat guests and wonderful hospitality, and I enjoyed my stay there. But I found that for me, being on the water is a key component in what I look for when on vacation. Either way, Jamaica is sweet and has something to offer for almost every kind of traveler.

User Info Menu

I think Chris and Francine at Seastar Inn have used a good business strategy: they knew they were up the street from the Coast, so they systematically have tried to outperform other hotels in just about every important aspect except for the view: Exceptionally low prices, fantastic home-cook food and top-notch fruity mixed drinks, a POOL in a neighborhood where not every property has one, down-to-earth service with little extras.

It's all worked out well, enough so that the Seastar Inn has made some key physical improvements -- plus the Saturday shows have helped the hotel's reputation.

My only concern is the place is getting TOO popular -- There are only a handful of rooms, and that's part of the charm.

Mi soon come.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Why would it "change some folks mind about Seastar"?
    Seastar has never hidden that it's not on the sea & offers an incredible & affordable vibe that is rare to find anywhere elsewhere in Negril!
    Sorry, but I dont recall saying, even remotely, that Seastar hid anything. Please dont put words in my post as I am not speaking negatively about Seastar - no need to get defensive.
    All Im saying is IMO (I am entitled to that, yes?) that it might change some minds because not everyone goes to Jamaica for the same reasons. Some people actually want to spend lots of time in/around the water. Having to go have a drink/food somewhere for access or to wait for a shuttle to enjoy the water is an inconvenience, IMO. Am I speaking from personal experience, yes, and even though I had transportation, I didnt like it - but thats me and as I said in my post, DIFFERENT STROKES....as in different strokes for different folks as in not everyone will feel the same but thats what makes the world what it is.

User Info Menu

I guess thats why the west end and not on the sea really have no bearing on my stay, as the last two stays on the beach, I never went in the water once?!
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by poolguywindsor View Post
    I guess thats why the west end and not on the sea really have no bearing on my stay, as the last two stays on the beach, I never went in the water once?!
    Wow, now ya see, that is just unimaginable to me, lol! Not that anything is wrong with that....different strokes

I could go to the sea (beach or cliffs) and sit/swim/snorkle for hours and hours on end....just me, the ipod, and an unmentionable illegal sumting. Someone recently posted a thread about what makes a good vacation. For me, the more time I spend at the sea, the better the vacation. So easy access is a must for me!

User Info Menu

Have to agree with Irie Dawta. I can't imagine not being on the beach and going in the water every 5 minutes. I'm not a swimmer so I would not get in the water on the cliffs where I can't touch bottom. We are still going to try the cliffs for 3 nights in November but I think that is more than enough time up there for us. Again, different strokes!

Speaking of different strokes I cannot imagine doing what Clarity & Hubbyman are doing. Changing hotels every few days. I am already stressing because I have to change rooms after 2 days at the same resort. I like to unpack right away and be done with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irie_Dawta View Post
    Sorry, but I dont recall saying, even remotely, that Seastar hid anything. Please dont put words in my post as I am not speaking negatively about Seastar - no need to get defensive.
    All Im saying is IMO (I am entitled to that, yes?) that it might change some minds because not everyone goes to Jamaica for the same reasons.
    I never said anywhere that you weren't entitled to your opinion...everyone is...including me!

I did not see one of your first posts saying that you stayed there "maybe four years ago or so" & that you liked the sea access that was offered at Catcha at that time.
    I simply responded to the one post you made, as it could have seemed confusing to those that may have been thinking of staying at Seastar. Catcha has not offered access to Seastar guests or any other hotels' guests for years.
    If I could miss one of your initial posts - someone else may have missed it also.

User Info Menu

Well, for what it's worth: The last time I visited Seastar Inn, Catcha was very accommodating .... Maybe it depends what kind of mood the security guard is in???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    I never said anywhere that you weren't entitled to your opinion...everyone is...including me!

I did not see one of your first posts saying that you stayed there "maybe four years ago or so" & that you liked the sea access that was offered at Catcha at that time.
    I simply responded to the one post you made, as it could have seemed confusing to those that may have been thinking of staying at Seastar. Catcha has not offered access to Seastar guests or any other hotels' guests for years.
    If I could miss one of your initial posts - someone else may have missed it also.
    Up until very recently Seastar's website shouted out the fact that you could have exchange privileges with Catcha. I'm sure this created some confusion as well.

User Info Menu

when we stayed at Seastar, in Feb. we had drinks at Ivans bar several times, and ate dinner there twice, no prob mon. Great vibe, staff and other guests where very freindly towards us, I would never consider using their sea access or pool, as that is the privilage of being a paying guest. I think next time we stay on the west end, as this was our first time staying on the cliffs, that we would prefer to be on the water. However i do plan on returning to Seastar, for drinks and food, and maybe another Saturday show, Cheers!!!