Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Exchange Rate? Any last minute tips? Please..

User Info Menu

How much of a difference is it to get money from the airport versus the cambio? We've been to Jamaica 6 times but have never exchanged money, always used US $. Was thinking we would exchange some $$ on our upcoming trip in two weeks.....baby steps.

User Info Menu

it's something like 20 $J less, per each $1.00 US (about 11 cents less per US dollar), than a 'good' cambio will give you. That can indeed add up if you're exchanging hundreds of US dollars - but imho it is totally worth it to exchange a small amount so i have $J in my pocket before i get on the road; so i exchange about 25 $US right there before exiting the airport. Other ppl would never exchange there -- really just your personal preference.

User Info Menu

Ditto MissBlue There's usually just 1 stop made along the way from MBJ to Negril - the restroom/food/drink stop - and $25 is plenty for 2 ppl.

Except if you're right about it being 20J less per $1US at the airport (65/1 instead of 85/1) - that would be about US23.5 cents less per US1 dollar changed (or $23.50US less for a $100US - to me, that would not be insignificant). Sorry, I'm an engineer and like math - LOL.

Funny - if you notice I, too, mostly relate what I have run into. "I have found" or "My experience was". And only occassionally give actual advice, "I advise" or "I suggest" or "If I were you".

I've read enough posts of people suggesting Negril, or some hotel, to friends or after years of begging a friend to come along to Negril with them, they do - and later post their friend hated it because had completely different expectations. I now just tell people who ask what I have experienced and why I go back time after time - not that they should go. And put in caveat of what I just posted here. Usually just do same on msg boards, too.
    Last edited by Ohio_Buckeye_1; 04-13-2012 at 06:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs View Post
    We've been to Jamaica 6 times but have never exchanged money, always used US $. Was thinking we would exchange some $$ on our upcoming trip in two weeks.....baby steps.
    luvmylabs - It's a good idea, here's why:
    Although every place will take $US, you should use $J for off-resort spending. Is a much better deal because when JA businesses convert the price of drinks/food/souvenirs from $J to $US, a lot of them do so to their benefit - on both price and change. It's because every business gets to set their own exchange rate - they don't have to use the official one.
    For instance on price. Red Stripe on menu might be listed something like either $J150 or $US2 (although $US2 is $J170 at official rate of about 85/1). Or entree for $J1000 or $US13.50 (although $US13.50 is about $J1150). If you take out your calculator, you will find that business is using $75J/1US - not cambio rate of about 85/1.
    Same with the change - you pay for that $US13.50 bill with a $20, you are due $US6.50 change ($J550 at 85/1). But they always give change in $J and using their 75/1 rate will give you just $485.
    You lose on both ends - price and change. Only if you are carrying a calculator will you notice it. Over the course of a week or two, spending $US100 or more on food/drink every day - it really does add up.
    I've seen where some reviewers complain and say they are cheating them doing this. NO - it's just that the business gets to set the exchange rate. Know it and avoid it by carrying THEIR currency.

Actually on last couple trips, I figured out another way to save on the exchange I had not thought of previously. I had them leave my hotel bill in $J before paying my balance due with my Credit Card. Credit card exchange rate fluctuates daily and is one of the best given.
    Last edited by Ohio_Buckeye_1; 04-13-2012 at 06:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for doing all the math, explained it very well. Also, thanks for the tips. We'll definitely exchange some money this trip.

User Info Menu

Also, don't deal with the hustlers offering to exchange money in front of the cambios .... No one has ever had a good experience doing this, they trick you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by just_Bob View Post
    Hi Lo exchanges money now too on Sunday.

Wow! - Thanks jB. That solves one of my only 2 hassles with Travelers Checks - having to plan ahead for Sunday.

Now, if they were also open on holidays...
    Especially the holidays unique to JA when I don't know the cambio is going to be closed. I try to ask on first visit or two to cambio if there are any holidays coming up they won't be open - but occassionally have still been caught off guard.
    Probably matters more to me than others, as I go every morning as part of my daily routine (forces me to keep to budget).

User Info Menu

thanks Ohio Buckeye - of course you're correct on the math, i wasn't paying careful attention when i typed that, but i should have. cause I agree, accuracy counts. i don't know for sure if it is precisely 20 $J difference, that's what i recall from last time i exchanged there - which was a year ago, so that was kind of to give a general idea - by now i'm sure the OP will have found out what it really is, LOL, cause they are flying, or already flew, today -
    Last edited by MissBlue; 04-15-2012 at 02:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gerryg123 View Post
    Also, don't deal with the hustlers offering to exchange money in front of the cambios .... No one has ever had a good experience doing this, they trick you.
    Good word of caution Gerry G. These guys basically hang out by the Value Master, Coral Seas Plaza and the Hi-Lo

User Info Menu

Good advice from everyone. Regarding ID, we also take travelers checks, along with debit card, etc.......Folks have said that it is a hassle yet we really have had no problems at all. Once we give them our license (generally don't take our passports on us) and after that, we are good to go. They remember us at many of the places and it makes it so convenient. Good luck and enjoy paradise!!