Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cambio vs resort?

User Info Menu

Smile Cambio vs resort?

I know most resorts exchange money as well. Is their exchange rate usually good or no? What is the best source for finding out the exchange rate and does it change often? This is our 6th time and finally figuring out the importance of doing this. It is still a little confusing to me though, not gonna lie P.
    3 sleeps!!!!

User Info Menu

Cambios or Banks give the best rate (with the possible exception of a "street hustler" who might slip a counterfeit note or two into the mix).

The resorts change money as a courtesy to their guests but they usually give less so they make a litte on the money when they deposit it into their bank account.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

http://www.currencyconverterrate.com//

There are many others but this is the link I use as I live in Jamaica and encounter lots of foreign currency.

Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that the rates you see listed online as the exchange rate is the bank rate. You will not get as much, only slightly less, so the banks/cambios make a bit of a profit on every $$$ exchanged... their cost of providing the service. A good way to get the current rate is to ask here on the board.

Unless you are desperate, skip exchanging at your hotel. The exchange is very much in their favor. Example: The cambio might be exchanging for $86.50J for $1US. Hotel rate... $80J for $1US. Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much. Any tips for how you do a quick conversion in your head? Do some people use calculators? I'm def not
    gonna stress about this but sounds fun to try to use $J

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chibears View Post
    Thanks so much. Any tips for how you do a quick conversion in your head? Do some people use calculators? I'm def not
    gonna stress about this but sounds fun to try to use $J
    Probably the only Jamaican Bills you will encounter while in Negril are: $1000 (called a "G") a $500 (called a "Nanny" after the portrait on the bill) and a $100 (called a "C" or "a bill").

A quick "rule of thumb" and not exactly accurate is:
    + a $100 is about a $1 US (actually a dollar and a few cents)
    + a $500 is about $6 US
    + a $1000 is about $12 US

When you see a meal at $600 think $6 (for the $500) and $1 (for the $100) and that will get you close to the amount.

Peace and Guidance
    Last edited by Accompong; 04-16-2012 at 11:16 AM.

User Info Menu

It changes depending upon the exchange rate, but for quick frame of reference when spending, I think in multiples of 10... assuming 85J to 1 USD $10us = 850 J ($5=425) $20us = 1700 J $50us = 4,250 J $100us = 8,500 J and so on.

Have Fun!

EDIT NOTE: Actually as I posted this, Accompong came in just ahead with his "rule of thumb" which might be easier. Either way, you get the picture.
    Last edited by SweetSue; 04-16-2012 at 11:27 AM.

User Info Menu

here's a website which has a "pocket size" conversion table 'cheat sheet' that you can cut out and carry in your wallet or purse...

choose the two currencies you want (JA dollar & US dollar), and click "Get my FX Cheat Sheet", and it will return a nifty little table that you can print and cut out and carry with you.

http://www.oanda.com/currency/travel-exchange-rates

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chibears View Post
    Thanks so much. Any tips for how you do a quick conversion in your head? Do some people use calculators? I'm def not gonna stress about this but sounds fun to try to use $J
    I replied to your PM on this. The above posts are right on.
    I think there also used to be a cheat sheet link here that people would print out and carry - you enter the rate - but I can't find it now.
    Maybe someone else has it handy?
    08: Jan-NegrilTreehouse
    08: Nov-RoomsOnTheBeach, Ochi & TobysResort, MoBay
    09: Apr-Legends, Negril
    09: Dec-Legends, Negril
    10: Apr-HolidayInnSunspree, Mobay & SeastarInn, Negril
    10: Nov&Dec-SeastarInn & FunHoliday, Negril & SunsetResort, Treasure Beach
    11: Mar-FootePrints & NegrilBeachClubCondos, Negril
    11: Sep-Legends, Negril
    12: Sep-SeastarInn, Negril
    13: Mar-Match Resort & Bay View Resort, Port Antonio & El Greco, MoBay
    13: Dec-SeastarInn & Shields, Negril & VerneyHouse, MoBay

User Info Menu

HAHAHAHA - the vulcan mindmeld strikes again, Ohio Buckeye!!!!