Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Taxi Service???

User Info Menu

Taxi Service???

How do you do it???If you want to take a ride do you call your driver..or just grab a quick cab...what is the going rate...you look for a red plate...any other tips..
    thank you

User Info Menu

Re: Taxi Service???

We have several long time friends that are red plate drivers and we usually call them when we need a ride. If they are not available we will use the red plate route taxis. The route rate is $100J pp. The beach road is one route and the cliff road is a different route. If I want to go from the beach to the cliffs and don't feel like changing taxis I will offer the driver $300J pp. $100J for each route and $100J for jumping the routes. This is usually accepted but if it's not I will wait for the next driver to stop. If I want to make a stop and have the driver wait I will add $100J pp for every 10 minutes he has to wait. I have used this formula for years and never had a problem. If you use a driver and get a good vibe, ask for his card or number and call him when you need a ride. If he is available he will appreciate the business.

Bless...
    Ed
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Walk to the road many will offer you a ride. Getting a taxi is real easy make sure you set a price before you ride. If you do the route taxi its cheaper but can have other riders. Rates at night are higher. No matter what I ride in I confirm the price unless its a driva who owes me some J's LOL . Limo Mon Soon Come

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Walleye View Post
    We have several long time friends that are red plate drivers and we usually call them when we need a ride. If they are not available we will use the red plate route taxis. The route rate is $100J pp. The beach road is one route and the cliff road is a different route. If I want to go from the beach to the cliffs and don't feel like changing taxis I will offer the driver $300J pp. $100J for each route and $100J for jumping the routes. This is usually accepted but if it's not I will wait for the next driver to stop. If I want to make a stop and have the driver wait I will add $100J pp for every 10 minutes he has to wait. I have used this formula for years and never had a problem. If you use a driver and get a good vibe, ask for his card or number and call him when you need a ride. If he is available he will appreciate the business.

Bless...
    Ed
    I use the same formula and cannot recall a time where a driver said no. If the driver is solid I make a point to throw in a little extra to show my appreciation. Really though, can you get a ride anywhere in North America that offers up a better value? The route system was designed for the natives and I appreciate the fact that I can tread lightly and take advantage of it as well.

User Info Menu

There has been a trend lately (mostly on Trip Advisor) that you should only use taxi drivers that you know, as opposed to just hailing a random red plate on the road. As others have said, if you find a driver that you like and he is available, by all means use him. If you find yourself in a pinch and you don't have arrangements with your personal driver (which happens to me often) you can either ask the folks running the establishment where you are to call you a taxi, or you can walk to the road and hail one. 99.9% of people that hail random taxis (route or otherwise) will tell you that they never had a problem doing so.

We have a private driver that my wife and I love. On our last trip, we gave him a lot of business and by the end of our stay I would ask him how much I owed him for a ride and he would say, "just pay me whatever you want". That's an honest driver.

User Info Menu

Thank you for all the tips on taxi service very nice of you to offer...