Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Years, 12 Nights, 6 Hotels, ONE LOVE - April 2012 Trip Report

User Info Menu

Re: 10 Years, 12 Nights, 6 Hotels, ONE LOVE - April 2012 Trip Report

I'm sorry for the long intermission, It’s been a crazy hectic and busy week…

We've been back in the states for over a week now and we just unpacked our suitcases today.

We laid out all the mementos from our trip on the kitchen table..

I picked up each item on that table and turned it over in my hands. Everything held a special meaning in my heart, There is a beautiful and treasured memory attached to each item in this picture...We’ll share the stories behind them in this TR.

I don't know if words can adequately describe how much this trip meant to me, to both of us.

It was truly epic, just as Markus stated and more amazing than our first two trips to Negril. I didn't think that was possible!!

I don’t even know where to start…

I guess the best place to start is the beginning...

Everyone in my office knew that it was "Jamaica day" when I entered the office on April 18th. This time my co-workers didn't give me a hard time about going back to Jamaica... This time, I feel like they truly understood and respected my need to go back.

The past two months had been incredibly difficult and painful, not just for me but for everyone I worked with. Our co-worker had passed away.

For me, She was more than just a fellow co-worker.

Michelle was my best friend.

This is the first time I’m really writing about this and It’s hard…

After her death, I spiraled into a dark place. Something just shut off. It was like a light went out inside of me. Michelle and I were the same age. Her passing was so unexpected... Once again I was confronted with the true fragility of life and It shook me to the core.

When I requested additional time off for my vacation, no one said a word. My boss just nodded with a sympathetic understanding look.

I really needed to get away so I used every vacation day, personal day and sick day I had in the bank for this trip.

I was hoping Jamaica would help me heal. I needed to learn how to embrace and enjoy life again, I needed to feel the sunshine on my skin, I needed to taste fresh fruits, swim in clear waters and be with Markus.

Life is short, and we only have a limited time on this earth. I knew Michelle would want me celebrate her memory, her life, and our times together, not shut myself off from the world. She was playful, compassionate, loving and a ball of happy energy. I loved her and She brought out the best in me...in everyone... I had to channel that..

I knew exactly where I needed to go.

I'm sorry for such a sad beginning, it's just provide a background from the place I was coming from…It also gives you a deeper understanding of how meaningful this trip truly was…

I promise It's all happiness from this point on...I didn’t want to bring you all down…

We had saved up a long time for this trip, it was going to be the longest vacation we've ever taken together in our entire lives and the day had finally arrived. It was the most wonderful feeling in the world...

Markus was waiting with the bags rolled up to the front door when I arrived home from work. I was so excited, I could barely contain it. Our friend, Jamar hugged us goodbye and promised to take good care of our kitties.

"Say Hi to Bella Bea for me!" He said with a smile.(Jamar just started a new job, so he couldn't join us this time.)

We hailed down a taxi and threw our two carry-on bags into the trunk. I had worked later than expected trying to wrap up all the last minute tasks so we were running behind schedule. It didn't help that there was a Giants game letting out...combined with the rush hour traffic it was literally bumper to bumper on the highway. For a while, we weren't moving at all, I felt my heartbeat racing in my chest as I gazed out the window at the hilly San Francisco landscape and the setting sun. I started worrying that we weren't going to catch our flight...

We were one of the last to board the plane to Miami and the flight attendent stopped us in our tracks when we were entering the plane.

"I'm sorry guys there is no more room in the overhead compartments, we're going to have to check in your bags"

After all the ridiculous packing strategy I had employed over a two week period to fit everything we needed into two carry-on bags we still had to check them in. It's was ironic in that Alanis Morissette kind of way... but at that point, I didn't even care. I was just happy to be on that plane!

Markus really doesn't like flying, He gets restless leg syndrome on long flights and he can't sleep on planes. We always fly red eye from CA to Mobay. This time we decided to purchase some wine to make the trip less painful...

and it worked!!!

When the airline stewardess found out that this trip was for our 10 year wedding anniversary, she provided us with additional complimentary bottles of wine! We ended up hanging out in the back of the plane with a bunch of flight attendants and had a little party with a few other passengers. It's all a bit of a blur...mixed in with alot of laughter and some turbulance. That was hands down the most fun I've ever had in a plane!

We definitely paid for it though during our 5 hour layover in Miami...We were hung over before we even arrived in Montego Bay...

Despite that, There is nothing better than that first beautiful glimpse of turquoise blue Jamaican waters from the airplane window...I felt like Dorothy emerging from her black and white world to the technicolor land of OZ.

A rush of energy, happiness and excitement filled my entire body...Our vacation was just about to begin…

I knew this was going to be a special trip, I just didn’t realize at the time how truly special it was going to be…
    Last edited by Clarity; 05-11-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

As we approached the landing strip at Montego Bay Sangster Airport the cabin pressure slowly rose to a full atmosphere. The pressure in my ears adjusted with lengthy squeak that only I could hear. I felt relief. I had endured a torturous total of 7 and 1/2 hours of flight in what felt like a coffin, and a lengthy 5 hour layover in good old Florida, where Kenny G, Smooth Jazz, Plaid Pants and Polo-shirts had slowly simmered my brain to a mush. The plane touched down with an unusual amount of applause from the cabin.

I knew I should have been ecstatic. After all, the day, we had talked about and anticipated for months, was finally here. Yet, sleepless travel and exhaustion had gotten the better of me once again. I tried to bottle it up, but inside I was a miserable stinker with a groundless disdain for everyone and everything.

Disembarking the flying metal tube took the usual amount of patience and self-control. Everyone was in everyone’s way and no one was helping anyone get out any faster. So I tried to hang back and relax until I had the room to get our stuff out of the overhead bins further back.

This enraged an equally irrational older man sporting the aforementioned golfing attire, who began scolding me, calling me names and telling me, because I was sitting ahead of him I had to get our first. With flushed cheeks and frothing spit, he asked, if I had ever flown before or whether I was just stupid.

This oddly calmed me down and made me reach for higher ground. At least I am not the only one who doesn't travel so well. And as a bonus, in the eyes of the other passengers, I was now the victim. Hurrah! What a coup!

Finally out of the plane and up the tiled ramp we went, passed the massive Margaritaville Ad and the latest high school-student art work, towards immigration.

“Are you guys traveling together? What is the purpose of your visit?”

Daisy volunteered more than the required information to the officer and got the first of the later common complimentary responses.

“10 Years! No that’s impossible; did you get married in Kindergarten?”

“No. Ph-shaw! We got married when I was […]*(* information withheld), see there, in the passport.”

“Well you look much younger!”

Stamp! Stamp!

“Thank you, Sir!”

We swapped some USD's for Ja-Dollars and finally headed towards the sliding doors, beyond which lay the little picket fence that separates the cab drivers from the arriving passengers like farmers from the cattle at auction.

As soon as we got out the bidding started, everyone was yelling their best offers, but the guy with the sign that read “Rocky's Taxi” had already won us and we willingly gave ourselves into his care.

He introduced himself as Wayne. We were early and he seemed pleasantly surprised to have his wait cut short. Slightly nervous and infinitely accommodating, he carried our luggage to the curb and apologized for having to retrieve his vehicle from the parking lot.

“Just wait here! I'll be very fast!”

“No worries, Mon!” I replied and gleefully dragged a pack of cigarettes from my pocket, while Daisy rushed to get some fruit-juice from a vendor. A blanket of heat wrapped itself comfortably around me. The sounds of Jamaica, the yelling and honking, the odor of the spices, everything brought back memories, as exotic as they are familiar.

“THERE IT IS!” It came suddenly and utterly unexpectedly.

Another driver aggressively tried to solicit his service to me, but when I told him, we already had a ride, he bumped his fist against mine and said “Respect!” with a smile and warm voice.

My fist moved towards his (Imagine this in slow-motion) and on impact - BOOM! -my nasty mood fell off me like an overripe ulcer that had festered and held on way beyond its expiration date.

Holy Sh*t! I am in Jamaica! Hell Yeah! WTF am I grumpy about? That “Me”, from the moment before, suddenly seemed like a pitiful brat, a little child with no self-control and no appreciation for its blessings. That's not me!

I was suddenly the happiest guy on the planet, on vacation and about to be married for ten years, to the most beautiful, warm-hearted and intelligent woman I know! Damn me for needing a fist-bump to remember that!

I was one person one moment and 'in Jamaica' the next.
    Last edited by Hubby-man; 05-11-2012 at 10:22 PM.

User Info Menu

More, more, more...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hubby-man View Post
    Damn me for needing a fist-bump to remember that!
    I'd say that's pretty cool if that's all it took! I can't wait to feel that!!!! I'll be coming off the plane with fists ready!

You never see it coming ... and the next thing you know ... UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

User Info Menu

Yes!!!!
    This is what I was waiting for....big smiles

User Info Menu

You crack me up man..... Pure German comedy, if there is such a thing. How can someone be so unhappy to scold you on the plane headed to Jamaica. His name wasn't Harley was it?

Discloser: I'm kinda German so I can say that...

User Info Menu

There is nothing better than that first beautiful glimpse of turquoise blue Jamaican waters from the airplane window...I felt like Dorothy emerging from her black and white world to the technicolor land of OZ.
    Here I sit, about five blocks from OZ (I live in Kansas City, MO), not sleeping in anticipation of the azure described above and very much needing that picture looking down on the amazing sea. Thank you so much for posting these pics and the lovely well written story as it is unfolding.

You are making board here on this forum an absolute delight. Keep it up.

Heading to Xtabi on Thursday!

User Info Menu

Great start team. I't's brilliant knowing the lead up to all of our trips and arrivals in Negril.
    Rise early, treat everyday as though it's your last and your last day as it's your first.

User Info Menu

A miserable stinker with a groundless distain for everything...everyone! my GOD is that good!!!
    I love both you and Daisey writing skills. I think you both could write a book and then never have to worry about saving up again!
    Daisey is too damn funny with not showing her face! i really like your honeymmoon suite! wow...
    oh yah, the plain pants kenny g polo description turning your brain to mush??? i love it!

User Info Menu

Couldn't wait it out Daisy, lol! Beautiful, sad, funny, exciting...amazingly written as always!! Now more damn it!! (please and thank you)